Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: How about the Daisy 880?

How about the Daisy 880?

My brother in CO. picked one up at Walmart for $35.00 a couple of months ago, and it has become his favorite very quickly.
    They have been $45.00 here, but today i was in a local Walmart and noticed the new $35.00 price here also.

I was stocking up on .177 and .22 pellets and was tempted to walk out with the 880 also, but did'nt this time.
    My brother's 880 was out shooting his Hatsan 95 in .22 cal. rather badly at the 25 yd. range the other day, so i'm thinking of picking one up soon.
    He does have a scope on the plastic reciever and was talking about dime size goups at 25 yds. with it.

Anyway, sounds like a lot of value for $35.00 to me....any 880 owners here?

BTW, I had one in my early 20's with the metal reciever. I remember it as very accurate with iron sights. I shot some squirrels at distances i probably shouldn't have back then, but none of them got back up and ran off.
    I never did put a scope on it to test it's true accuracy.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 09-24-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Boolit Master

The 880 is a good air rifle. I recommend getting one. Tell your brother to try different pellets in the Hatsan. Heavier is usually better.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    I salvaged the metal receiver body and metal pump arm from an older 880 and installed these on one I bought new at Wally World some years ago.
    You have to file away a tab near the loading port to make the metal receiver fit.

The resulting rifle is much more sturdy and durable than with the plastic parts.

Dime sized groups and smaller at 25 yards are common when a quality pellet is used. Single hole five shot groups no larger than bore diameter are not in common on a good day.
    Use a good quality scope if you want good results.

Accuracy remains high so long as you don't wear out the barrel using steel BBs.

Nope, no bbs in a rifled bbl. for me lol. My brother did try some lead round balls in his though.
    Said they cycled fine through the bb chamber and shot pretty accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    The 880 is a good air rifle. I recommend getting one. Tell your brother to try different pellets in the Hatsan. Heavier is usually better.
    I'll probably pick one up before long. Don't see how a person could go wrong on one for $35.00.
    I sure liked the one i had "way back when". I hope the gf can pump the 880, as my 392 is a bit much for her.

Boolit Master
    The ease of pumping the 880 with its rollers in rails is a major point in its favor.

I have one. Pretty good lil' airgun, but the scope that comes with it is trash. Throw it as far away as you can.

Boolit Master
    It's just ok for what it is. You can do a few things to help it like secure the barrel and seal the port to barrel area better.
    The trigger sucks on the 880. It is the air valve on the unit so if you do a slow squeeze you let the air out slowly.
    You need to just pop the trigger.
    I think if your brother is honest that's a better shooting 880 than most.
    Pellet selection plays a big role. Also if possible take a good look at the crown before you buy it. They are often pretty poorly done.
    For $35 it's a fun pellet gun to have kicking around. I,still have fun with my red Ryder.

Yep, he's as honest as they come. His Hatsan could have a crown problem, but since we live so far apart, i haven't seen it yet.
    He's gone through several pellet brands and styles with it in the past few months, but not satisfied with it at all at this point.

The little 880 on the other hand has shot the few brands of pellets he's tried in it very well so far. I guess you can get good and bad in all of them.
    I may buy the Hatsan from him before it's over and see if i can figure something out with it lol.
    Could be something as simple as the crown or breech seal?

Boolit Master
    A trick to overcome in part the trigger problem of the 880 is to always engage the safety and before shooting while the rifle is pointed safely downrange take up as much slack as you can with the safety engaged then release the safety and squeeze firmly.
    The trigger works by loading a flat spring which then pops the valve open.
    It takes quite a bit of use before the trigger gets broken in and still won't be great.

Best groups for me are with Beeman coated wad cutters, which are accurate with every airgun I've tried them in.
    Daisy pellets are bottom of the barrel and Crosman .177 pointed pellets aren't very good either. Crosman's .22 pellets are very good but their .177 pellets aren't very good at all in the guns I've tried them in. The Crosman hollow points are better than the pointed.

I did do a simple barrel bedding procedure, wrapping scotch tape around the muzzle end of the barrel liner till it was a close fit in the muzzle bushing/ front sight base of the barrel jacket.

Dime size groups or smaller at 25 yards are common. I use a 3-7X BSA scope.

A wobbly butt stock can be tightened by adding a little masking tape to the end before tightening the receiver mounting screws.

Boolit Master

That Hatsan breech seal is just a common O ring.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    A trick to overcome in part the trigger problem of the 880 is to always engage the safety and before shooting while the rifle is pointed safely downrange take up as much slack as you can with the safety engaged then release the safety and squeeze firmly.
    The trigger works by loading a flat spring which then pops the valve open.
    It takes quite a bit of use before the trigger gets broken in and still won't be great.

Best groups for me are with Beeman coated wad cutters, which are accurate with every airgun I've tried them in.
    Daisy pellets are bottom of the barrel and Crosman .177 pointed pellets aren't very good either. Crosman's .22 pellets are very good but their .177 pellets aren't very good at all in the guns I've tried them in. The Crosman hollow points are better than the pointed.

I did do a simple barrel bedding procedure, wrapping scotch tape around the muzzle end of the barrel liner till it was a close fit in the muzzle bushing/ front sight base of the barrel jacket.

Dime size groups or smaller at 25 yards are common. I use a 3-7X BSA scope.

A wobbly butt stock can be tightened by adding a little masking tape to the end before tightening the receiver mounting screws.
    both my 880s need resealing I have a vintage zinc receiver and a plastic one. both triggers SUCK but still fun. I don't really have any guns with :nice: triggers

Crossman 1600 co2 new in box is $75.00 too much.