Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Dpms 308ar bcg

Dpms 308ar bcg

Looking into compatibility. Question can a 223 bolt fit and operate in an AR 308 Bolt Carrier?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
    Looking into compatibility. Question can a 223 bolt fit and operate in an AR 308 Bolt Carrier?
    Nope the gas rings are different sizes so the hole in the BC would be the wrong size even if you could get the other parts to match. What type of franken gun are you thinking about?

I am thinking about a 6x45 with Very low drag bullets which can be as long as 2.72 inches. Barrels are available and I have developed a working magazine prototype in a 308 frame just need a 223 bolt that will work with the DPMS carrier

Banned
    NO ! Get a 6mm Creedmore,

I have a 6mm Creedmoor RPR and it is everything they say but many of my friends have 6x45. Plus we have been working a generic high speed high twist 6mm PC cast alloy bore rider bullet and it is compatible with any 6mm / 243. Just the 6x45 is the most stressing for its small case neck. Also it is the most practical hunting and AR self defense caliber. Brass is everywhere and if you have powder, primers, dies, and mold you are good to go for a long time. In fact because it is a bore rider then length is only issue, otherwise you can use it in an AR-15 frame, its just the jacketed bullets like 110gr sierra, and the Tubbs 115gr rebated boat tails that have chamber fit issues.

You could put a bushing in the bolt face to reduce it. Have you considered locating or replicating one of the Olympic 22-250 guns built on a 223 frame? They made the magwell rectangular and used that space that was filled in on either side of the mag spine rib to basically make the magwell 1/2" or so longer. Took special mags to utilize that extra space. They're out of business at the moment, but if you can make or find those mags a standard magwell can be modified to work.

How does bushing the bolt face work with the extractor? Also using a 308 bolt with larger diameter keys might not mesh with the barrel extension, more to think about.. thanks.. I have a modified Pmag that works in an LR SR upper. It will take 2.79 inches in length.