Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Browning 1885 45-70 scope base suggestions

Boolit Master

Browning 1885 45-70 scope base suggestions

I purchased a Browning 1885, single shot falling block Winchester HiWall type rifle in 45-70 about 25 years ago, and have shot it all these years with the original open sites. Now that I am getting a little more elderly I am considering mounting a scope on it, but I am having trouble finding the proper mounts for it. Does anybody have any suggestions on scope mounts and a scope for this rifle? Maybe one of you have already mounted a scope and may know the model and brand of a good scope mount. I like the Leopold scope I have on my 338 Win Mag, but other than that one I haven't used a scope.

Boolit Master
    I've got a Winchester (also a Miroku) and I have Leupold bases and rings on it. I'm pretty happy with those. I think your Browning needs to be drilled and tapped? The Winchester already was. Not a big job to get it done though.
    Attachment 204603

Boolit Master
    It does not need to be drilled and tapped and I have a set of bases for it for sale in S&S.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...bases-for-1885
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    It does not need to be drilled and tapped and I have a set of bases for it for sale in S&S.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...bases-for-1885
    This same set is on sale at Midway for $21.24 plus shipping, but I was reluctant to purchase a set because they didn't have the special rings to mount in them. Why are you trying to get so much for yours for used ones, and I would still have to find these special rings?

Boolit Master
    They are not the same set. The ones at Midway are Leupold and are sale priced. The ones I am selling are original Browning bases in the original box. My price includes shipping to you. If they are not what you are looking for then I wish you luck with your search.

Any Redfield Jr. or Leupold rings will work with these bases. They aren't "special".
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...ings-top-screw
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 09-25-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    I have an 1885 Browning 45/70 and both the mounts and rings are Leupold. I have the same mounts/rings on an 1885 in 40/65 Win as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post

Any Redfield Jr. or Leupold rings will work with these bases. They aren't "special".

+1 - That type of scope ring is usually referred to as "turn in" because the front ring abuts recoil with a rotary dovetail attachment to the base.

Both turn-in rings and the bases for them are now available from several different manufacturers - but bases to fit your Browning 1885 are not.

Browning (brand) bases/rings are slightly more expensive than the common items because they are more highly-finished than the rest of the herd, to better match the superior finish on Browning firearms.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Just to clarify. Do you have an "1885" model Browning Hi Wall or the earlier "B-78" version? I think the scope bases might be different to fit the much older B-78 version. (I've had two of them and still have one now ...)
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Just to clarify. Do you have an "1885" model Browning Hi Wall or the earlier "B-78" version? I think the scope bases might be different to fit the much older B-78 version. (I've had two of them and still have one now ...)

It doesn't matter in .45-70, as both the 1885 & early B-78 had straight octagon barrels - the only difference being that the .45-70 B-78 barrels were not D/T for scope mount bases.

If chambered for any of the other factory offerings, the B-78's tapered octagon bbls were factory prepped (D/T) for scope mounts.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    It is an 1885 with the smooth ring in back with two mounting screws on that ring and forward near the buckhorn sight on the octagon barrel another set of screws for the forward site on the octagon barrel shape.

Boolit Master
    Use the Leupolds like I have in my pic. They are absolutely great bases and rings for this gun. Leupold catalogs these for the Browning/Winchester/Miroku guns. All are the same as you describe.

I also have the Browning Hi-Wall 1885 with the octagon barrel in the 45/70. Mine has as recoil pad (mine is drilled and tapped); the "Traditional" 1885 model had a metal "curved" butt plate (ouch!). I have the mount and rings, which are made by Leupold.

Boolit Master
    So far as I know there were only 4 companies that listed bases for the Browning 1885.
    They were Browning, Burris, Leupold and Weaver.
    The Browning rings and bases were made by Burris. I have a scope mounted on one of my 45-70s using the Browning bases. I also have 2 unmounted sets of bases marked Browning. They were also made by Burris.
    In addition I have a set of Leupold bases manufactured for the 1885 BPCR rifle which has a heavier barrell.
    Due to the low velocity of the 45-70 and the variations of different 1885 barrels the vertical alignment is often off so far you cannot sight in many of the modern scopes with tiny adjustment ranges. If you look through a scope sighted 45-70 barrel after it is sighted in you will find it pointed about 3 feet higher than the crosshairs.
    You have to shim a base, machine a base or use the Burris rings with the plastic inserts.

If you have enjoyed shooting your rifle with iron sights I would suggest you consider a William's Foolproof receiver sight and a Lyman 17A front sight.
    The William's sight mounts in the existing scope mount holes and retains the handling characteristics if the rifle while making it more shootable.

Should you decide to scope your rifle you can find bases on ebay and gun broker.
    The only thing special is avoid buying bases for a BPCR or for the 1885 LOW WALL.
    The Burris Posalign rings are the best rings if you don't mind the extra bulk.

You might do some careful study if you have existing turn in rings.
    Low rings are probably too low for loading and lowering the hammer.
    A modern Leupold hunting scope will be too short. The tube from the turret back is too short and so is the eye relief.
    You need a scope with a lot of eye relief like an old 2.5X or 3X Weaver or you need a scope with a long tube behind the turret.
    I have used older Burris 2X7 and Leupold 12X scopes because of their long tubes.

If you need more information about base dimensions or photos PM me.

Wayne at Texas-Mac.com has lot more knowledge of the BPCR rifles and he may know where to get bases.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Articles.html
    Last edited by EDG; 01-29-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Use a Leupold with an extended ring to get correct eye relief.