Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: pistol scopes?

pistol scopes?

as most of you know I am saving to get a CZ550FS in 9.3X62. I like iron sights but my vision isn't great. my question is, I want a 2 or 2.5X fixed power scope and really like the scopes made for reevolvers. if they can stand up to a 44mag or 454 casull, will they be ok on the 9.3X62? the recoil is said to be more of a push than a jerk, like some magnums.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

while good pistol scopes will take the punishment, they have very long eye relief. there are good quality low powered rifle scopes that would be better suited to a rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't be tempted to buy a cheap scope for a pistol with significant recoil. I have not killed any Leupold pistol scopes. But I have killed Simmons and Burris scopes. These were mounted on 44 Mag, 30 Herret, and 30-30 barrels for a TC Contender. I have 2 TC scopes which are OK but used with 22 Hornet and 357.

These were older scopes so I am not sure that the current units are any better or worse.

Ed C

A good handgun scope (Burris, Leupold, Nikon, etc) can stand up to severe recoil, but the mounting of them & the scope's eye relief has to be taken into account.

If you look at each potential choice's (scope's) technical specifications, you will find that LER (long eye relief) handgun scopes do not have a set eye relief like riflescopes.

Instead, they have eye relief "windows", like 11" to 21", or 9" to 17" (etc, etc) - which are distances that the rear scope lens can be from the shooter's eye and still get a full sight picture through the scope.

Best practice indicates that anyone considering mounting an LER scope on a long gun should first take some measurements specific to a particular shooter with a particular long gun, since both the long guns themselves and various human beings have different anatomical shapes/sizes (aka: ergonomics).

Various different folks will have different length arms & necks, and different vision particulars (including Y/N on eyeglasses).

The way to determine which LER scope will be compatible with YOU and YOUR LONG GUN, is to mount any old scope on the rifle as far forward in the rear scope ring as possible, to position a rear scope lens position, then have somebody else actually measure & record the distance from the rear lens to the shooter's eye, while the shooter is holding the rifle in their usual/comfortable firing position.

Once the eye distance for a particular person/rifle is determined, it's time to surf for various scope's technical table(s), to determine which scopes will fit that shooter's/rifle's particular needs.

When several candidates are chosen for consideration, it would be best to also compare each scope's ocular (rear) bell construction, since some bells' are longer/shorter than others are, and ergo each scope's rear lens will sit at a different distance from the rear of the rear scope ring - which might effect the particular rifle/human eye distance previously measured.

Anyone can get the tech info on many different scopes here: www.swfa.com

Last edited by pietro; 09-24-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

ok, I didn't think about how far a pistol really is from your eyes. i'll look for a conventional scope. thanks a lot!-Travis

Boolit Grand Master

There is the scout rifle concept with a forward mounted pistol scope in front of the action. Jeff cooper pioneered a lot of the work on this. The benefits were action was open for easy loading no interference with bolt throws. Great eye relief on heavy kickers. Also allows the balance point for carrying. Draw backs were a custom mount or blocks, a drill and tap job on the barrel and it does look different. I mounted a pistol scope on a renegade ( 2.5x Rail mount) on a renegade using the rear sight screws. Saved bending the hammer for clearance. And was a nice low mounting for the original comb. When I tried it mounted up at first I could follow flying birds. The idea works and is an option

I have a Yugo Mauser 48 set up with the S & K mount(replaces the rear site) and a Leupold 2.5 IER scope. I really like it, comes up real quick, great for short range work. For sight in, I wish it was 4x, but for cast bullets in a 8 x 57 deer hunting, 2.5 x works fine. It would be nice to have the elevation 'tic marks' for bullet drop? hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I would look at a good red dot before I used a 2x scope. For my eye and a 2x all your getting is a cross hair in a tube.

Boolit Master

You might take a look at the Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20. I have one on my Henry BBS Carbine in 45 Colt and really like it. The price is good too.

will do