RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: DougGuy saved my gun

Boolit Mold

Thumbs up DougGuy saved my gun

I recently got a NIB Taurus 85 that, to my dismay had absolutely awful cylinder throats. I mean I couldn't even push a J-word through two of them they were so bad (shot them even worse, too). Tried some boolits and those were a nonstarter lemme tell ya. I sent Doug that cylinder and he had it fixed a day later and shipped back with the next day's mail. I put the gun back together and shooting it was like night and day compared to before. Excellent groups and no leading to boot. I highly recommend Doug and will be sending him some more work soon. Thanks, Doug!

Posts like this one are how someone gets a good reputation on the site. In DougGuy's case it is well deserved.

Yes I agree, Doug does excellent work.

Boolit Master
    My cylinder is headed to him now. Loads with .452 boolits an bullets had to be pushed in pretty hard. I can't wait to get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    He does great work. I sent my S&W 69 cylinder with its undersized .4285 throats to him. He had it back in about 3 weeks, due to a slight delay in switching out some machinery. When he returned it the throats were perfect for my .431 boolits. They were virtually identical .4323-4325. They may well be identical--my old Starett and older eyes have both seen better days. If your revolver has a throat problem, Doug Guy is the man to fix it. He also does throating work on Bottomfeeder barrels to help cast shooters out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0462.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	204769
    Here you see .430 Hornady Bullets balancing on the throats before Doug Guy did his magic. The same bullets now fall through.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    would be interesting to know what those factory chambers miced out at
    They were HORRIBLE! I didn't put the Starrett dial bore gauge in them, but they were really badly out of rounds, all of them. I used a .3575" pilot on the reamer and I am sure had I looked I could have seen light past the sides of the pilot as bad as the throats were.

The .3585" reamer went in the throats and it cut on one side only! 2 or 3 of the throats it never even made contact with one whole side. After reaming, I took it to the Sunnen hone where it jumped around furiously until the hone smoothed it out enough to settle down and make them round as I dared to get. After they were honed to .359" there were still some faint dark areas where neither the reamer or the Sunnen hone touched the existing throat but those spots were real small.

I was reluctant to make the throats any bigger in an attempt to blend in these areas as it would have made the throats unnecessarily large and only for cosmetics. It didn't look bad at all when it left, and I guess the owner of it is having good accuracy with it so hey he might have one of the BETTER shooting Taurus model 85s around!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.