WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Where to go from here?

Boolit Buddy

Where to go from here?

I want to shoot cast in my 358 Win at full power velocities. First I know I need a chamber cast but where do I go from there? I shot some groups today using a 35-200 over 43 grns of IMR 3030 that were averaging 2300fps. These were grouping anywhere from 3 to 4" at 100 yds with zero leading even after 20 or so rounds, acceptable to me would be 2" max. Just checking my once fired brass it appears I may need around a .360 boolit to fit my throats and I'm more around .3585. My RCBS mold drops .359 using my 3-1 alloy which is essentially WW alloy.

I know I have to fit the throat and it appears that is going to be impossible with my mold so I guess I need to look custom. Going to check tomorrow for a piece of 5/16 rod so I can do a pound cast. Anyway I'm just rambling and looking for input.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

12" twist?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Aarolar, try some jacketed loads to establish an accuracy baseline and to polish the bore a bit.
    Several members here know a lot about pushing boolits to high velocity. Perhaps someone will chime in with pointers.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    12" twist?
    Yes sir.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Aarolar, try some jacketed loads to establish an accuracy baseline and to polish the bore a bit.
    Several members here know a lot about pushing boolits to high velocity. Perhaps someone will chime in with pointers.
    Best, Thomas.
    I hesitate to shoot jacked bullets in it at all, the goal for me was to stick with cast entirely. I may break down and try some eventually but I want to try and stick it out.

Boolit Buddy
    More ramblings, I feel my wheel weight alloy is going to be too soft at these velocities in respects to expansion and meat damage. An alloy with more antimony should yield a larger diameter as cast too right? I have 7 lbs of Lino I think I may cut it with 7 lbs of pure and see where I end up.

Boolit Buddy
    Finally got around to the pound cast and here is what I got could someone please help me interpret it. Can't accurately measure bore size due to three groove rifling.

aarolar: To measure slug sizes when there is an odd number of grooves I like to use sizing bushings as sold by NOE (I have a rather large collection) Then it's just a matter of sliding the slug into the sizing hole until you find which one fits. I tried the old wrapping the bullet with thin aluminum strips trick but I'm too fumble fingered to get the same number twice. lol Gp

also we would need the brass thickness of the neck of the cartridge above to help you out with measurments.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    also we would need the brass thickness of the neck of the cartridge above to help you out with measurments.
    Appears to be approximately .012 thick.

Something wrong with the measurements somewhere. If your bore is truly .3594 then your bullet should be sized .360. With the OD of the case neck @ .391 and a neck thickness of .012 that would make your bullet .367 so there seems to be a .007 error in measurements somewhere. Gp

I had a similar prob in 45- 70. I lowered the powder charge a bit, and started water quenching my bullets (100% wheel weights). Problem solved without changing my alloy.