Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: WTS: complete set of Lyman 310 dies and handle for 44-40WCF plus extras

Boolit Bub

WTS: complete set of Lyman 310 dies and handle for 44-40WCF plus extras

SOLD PENDING FUNDS TO OUTPOST 75

WTS: set of large Lyman tong-tool handles with 4-die set for 44-40 WCF with extras. These come in the old, original orange Lyman box.

Included in the sale price is a large Lyman tong-tool handle and complete 4-die set: (1) primer seating die (2) decapping die/neck resizer w/decapping pin (3) neck expanding die -- .427 (4) bullet seating die. I used these many years ago but have long since gone to a reloading press. They are still in very-good-to-better condition. The Lyman printed instructions are long gone but can be retrieved from the internet (search for Lyman 310 reloading tool).

But wait; there's more: included is an old Lyman manual full-length resizing die. This is the ultra-simple, 2-piece set . It consists of a steel tube drilled to 44-40 and a rod to eject the resized case. One lubes the "heck" out of a 44-40 case and either presses it into the die with a wood or plastic mallet or pushes the case into the die in a vise. Once the case is fully seated, the rod is used with plastic/wood mallet to drive it out of the die. This is the old, old-fashioned way of doing it. It's slow but it works and can be handy if one only occasionally full-length resizes the brass. And it can be a backup in the event your full-length resizing die is temporarily out of action due to a stuck case. Side note: my original 1873 has a very generous chamber that necessitates fairly frequent full-length resizing. Some Cowboy Action Shooting pards tell me their newly made 44-40 replicas have much tighter chambers and require less frequent full-length resizing.

Still more: a .429 push-through bullet-resizing die. This was advertised for use in the 310 tong tool but, after buying it, never used it (went to a Lee push-through die). It consists of a screw-in die with push rod. Fair warning: my simple mind couldn't figure out how to use it. The push rod seems too long for the tong-tool handles to push thru. It does size bullets. Using a Lyman 7/8" adapter (not included; available from Lyman) I screwed it into my Lee single-stage press and was able to use a plastic mallet and the push rod to push liquid-alox-lubed bullets thru it. Was also able to use the ram on the press to push the rod thru the die. Looks like it should work in the Lyman tong tool and it's thrown in with the deal.

This will enable you to reload like your granddad did. It's slow but it's sure and it works. Works well when relatively small amounts of ammo are reloaded and, for more modern uses, it is very portable and can be taken to the range or a hunting cabin.

As mentioned above, Lyman sells a 7/8" adapter that enables these dies to be used in a single-stage press.

Price: $80 including shipping. Check the prices online for new handles and for new die sets and consider if these will work for you. New large 310 handles cost almost this much: the extras are thrown in almost free.

Your personal check will be fine if you'll allow time for it to clear. PM me if interested.

Fort Reno Kid
    Last edited by fortrenokid; 09-24-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    aluminum or steel tongs?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'll take them. Great find, don't care if handles are aluminum or steel, PM to follow.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.