Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .25 Auto Long rifle Wildcat.

Boolit Master
    So far I have not made Contact with the Referral EDM shop, mostly due to my current shortage of funds to spend. I need to wait for my next Social Security Retirement Payment to be Direct Deposited.

I did stop by My gunsmiths' shop and found he is still out on the Location Movie Project but is expected back in a few more weeks.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    You could shoot .25 air rifle pellets in that thing in a pinch as they are smaller in diameter.

Boolit Master
    Talk about "light" Bullets - a .25 Air rifle "Pellet" made by "Hunters Supply" was my first 63 grain bullet I tried and it worked well. "Hunters Supply" has since stopped their production of this bullet although they still have the molds.

They still make a roughly 48 grain .25 Cal. "pellet" in both HP and FN configurations.

the Typical 'wasp waist' "pellet" is considerably lighter and others have used them for Pest Extermination and 'plinking' previously.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I just bought two sets of RCBS .25ACP reloading dies from a poster on this forum and they are now in the USPS System on the way to me.
    One set is 'plain alloy steel' and the other is 'carbide' so I will be comparing them when I receive Them.

For my Uses, I will Probably need to modify the top, accessory, end of the die(s) to allow easy removal of full depth "sized" cases as I believe RCBS employs rather small diameter threaded stems for their decapping and expanding accessory pieces.

Since the package is coming "priority mail" and is scheduled to arrive Monday, my wait should not be long.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I won two Ebay Auctions in the last Week; one was for a Stevens 44 Barrel in .25 R.F. and the other was for a Remington #4 Barrel in .25-10 R.F.

The Stevens arrived first and is in nice condition but the bore may need Cleaning.
    It has good rifling remaining visible with few pits in the bore.

The Remington arrived Today and has surface rust on the Breech end extending about a fourth of the Barrel length. the chamber and bore look 'Clean and Shiny' but there is a "Ghost" of rifling remaining. This is almost, but not quite, a Smooth bore barrel!

Both measure about 22" length.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-01-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    Mid 2019 update:

my .25ALR cartridge work has been 'languishing' as I am waiting for my gunsmith to chamber a new 8-Shot cylinder for it with tight (.2795" body diameter) chambers.

I did take the revolver out with the three Longer cartridge cylinders and shot .25ACP through each to test head space and ignition of the new cylinders in .25 MACP, .25ALS, and .25ALRM cartridges.

Happily, all .25ACP rounds fired in all 24 chambers tested.
    Of course 'accuracy' was somewhat poorer due to the long 'free bore travel' of the .25ACP bullet in chambers cut for cases of 1.055', 1.125" and 1.250" nominal case lengths.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-14-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    Coming up on Thanksgiving holiday 2019 now and it is getting tiresome seeing the "Impeachment Debacle/Circus" on TV every night. Perhaps Rep. Adam Schiff, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, will eventually realize he has lost his Credibility because of his long history of Lying and Misrepresentation to the General Public and his constituents.

My Special effects Friend has been Busy this year which is GOOD for his finances.
    However; it is bad for my 'shop time' access to his machine tools.
    My gunsmith is out of the shop this month on a Location Movie production.

Just finished getting my Driver's License renewed this year, it took from September 14th to November 22nd as the November date was the First Available Driving Test appointment date available when I was at the DMV office.
    My new license is also supposed to be a Federal qualified "Real ID" and have the word "Veteran" on its face.
    My Experience Living in California, County and City of Los Angeles under long term Democratic Party Political dominance is disheartening because of the damage the Politicians have done to my State, County, and City. Unfortunately; I doubt they will be removed from Office, or Power, anytime soon.

Sad.

Best regards for Thanksgiving,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Spring Bump.

Boolit Buddy
    What kinda chamber pressure is this round making

Boolit Master
    As it is being tested in a Converted Ruger Single Eight Revolver, I cannot fit it with any valid pressure measurement equipment, which I do not have access to anyway.

That being said, I am using aftermarket 8-shot .22 magnum cylinders made from Alloy 1144 Steel that has a nominal yield stress if 100,000psi. These are bored and reamed out to .250" to .251" chamber bore diameters then reamed to .2795" diameter for the length of the chamber, or about .980 to 1.000 inch depth from the rear face.

It has been estimated by several others that given the material and dimensions, a safe upper limit is estimated to be 43,000psi ultimate and 31,000psi MAP Pmax maximum working pressures.

Further, the charges and bullet weights I have fired through it range up to around 30,000psi Pmax to date.

I would recommend if you plan to make and fire this cartridge you start with charge weights of around 1.5 grains of Bullseye or BE-86 or Unique or 2400 behind 50 grain bullets and do your own load development form there.
    If you work with Hornady 2510 60 grain bullets resized to .251" diameter, the developed pressures will be larger/higher, but the muzzle energy at just subsonic velocities will be higher.

Many, many others recommend avoiding the 'transonic' velocity region if you wish to have accuracy at a distance. Most bullets are unstable transiting this 'transonic' velocity region so ther recommendation should be considered.
    Pistol bullets are not designed for long range use and slow down fairly rapidly after leaving the muzzle if fired at supersonic muzzle velocities.

Yes, I have fired 50 grain bullets from my revolver at between 1300 andf 1400fps muzzle velocity, but at 7 to 15 yards target ranges. My shooting at longer ranges has been mostly at 1000fps muzzle velocity or slightly less, improved 25, 50 and 100 yard accuracy.
    Due to the revolver cylinder gap venting, I lose an estimated 2.1% of potential performance from any given load that would not be happening in a non-vented firearm.

If you wish to do the pressure estimates yourself the highest pressure charges i have fired are 3.0 grains of BE-86 behind a 63 grain Lead bullet and 3.1 grains of BE-86 behind a 50 grain FMJ bullet.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-29-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    This last week I ordered, and have received, 1000 Rim Rock Bullets, Inc. .25ACP (.251 Sized and lubed) 55 grain Lead RFN bullets to try out. This is a single lube groove flat base bottom pour design with about a a .175" flat nose diameter and about a .100" lube groove width. The bearing area of the design is about .300" overall so the nose taper is about .200" long.

If loaded into .25ACP cases of about .605" overall length so that the bearing surface is covered by brass, it would have an estimated .805" Cartridge overall length.
    If loaded to .905" cartridge overall lenght, then the top of the lube groove would be at the lip of the case mouth.
    If loaded to any longer cartridge overall length, some of the lube and its groove will be exposed, possibly allowing roll crimp without distorting the bullet shape, but leaving the lube exposed to some extent.
    The bottom of the lube groove is about .150" above the base so this is the maximum limit of case overall length, or about .605" plus about .350" totaling about .955": a range that will allow some experimenting with long OAL cartridges in my converted Ruger Standard Auto MKII Pistol.

Similar considerations also apply to the .25 Auto Long rifle case of nominal length of .960" giving a range of possible overall lengths of 1.160" to 1.410", which is ultimate maximum length to function in my converted Ruger Single Eight Revolver with a Cylinder lenght of 1.415".

Things to think about while 'Sheltering In Place" due to Dictates of both my Mayor (of the City of Los Angeles) and my Governor (of California): both of which are of the 'Democratic Party" political persuasion, and elected via the State Political Machine Politics without due consideration of the rights and physical safety of Citizens, in my opinion.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-29-2020 at 04:32 PM.

America needs a mild 25 caliber round. The 25 Sharps and the 257 TCU comes close but a mild round would be great in an inexpensive bolt gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    America needs a mild 25 caliber round. The 25 Sharps and the 257 TCU comes close but a mild round would be great in an inexpensive bolt gun.
    Are you considering the difference between Pistol .25 Cal and Rifle .25 Cal dimensions, especially Bore/Groove diameters?

My experiments have all involved bullets sized to fit Pistol Bore/ Groove diameters (.250-.251 Groove diameter).

You are a patient man. Your baby is a long time bornin'. I, too, believe that the country and its shooters would like a milder .25 caliber small game cartridge for pistol and rifle. I have long thought of the .25 Hornet, the .22 Hornet simply necked to handle .258" boolits. I think the barrels and the boolits would be easier to come by. And the cases would be easier to make.

https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/25-Hornet/1357

"88gr NEI 88.257RN Winchester W-296 SUBSCRIBE 1,321 fps"

Lighter than the .25-20 but more powerful than the .22WRM.

I have several projects already in the pot so I won't be doing anything with it for a while.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234