RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resigned to hardening my range scrap

Boolit Master
    As an update on post 19,

I separated out a bunch of cases that I expected to be thinner based on sampling (FC, Blazer, Aguila & Speer). I loaded them to max book & confirmed that as I was seating boolits, all went in smooth with minimal effort. I am hopeful that tomorrow's range testing will show good results.

Boolit Grand Master

You might try oven heat treating. I suspect you will get higher BHN than just water dropping.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    The first thing I'd consider is the relationship between the groove diameter and the size of your cast boolit.
    I was always told 9mm fits where it touch’s, often a rattling good fit.... many 9mm bores are way more than .355.... and as bullet fit is king; this is a problem. That’s why many people go for larger .360 type bullets...
    May we achieve our aims....

Banned
    You are flaring the cases, I would try backing way off on the crimp ( I crimp to the point where the boolit just quits moving when you push the case against the reloading table) . I've been seating and crimping in one die and just barely "kissing" the boolit with a Lee factory crimp die. My pulls are close to .3575

I water drop all of my bullets, because my metal is cheap, soft RS, that I add minimal WW too. They don't lead the barrel in my 3030 at 1900fps and seem to shoot as well as I do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    How hard is my RS. Unknown honestly. Not hard enough. Couple pencils softer than my WCWW. I guess it would be prudent to send some of my RS out to be analyzed.

Litmus test has been dummy rounds and checking final diameter after pulling boolit. I may revisit 50/50 RS and WW. I guess a Lee hardness tester costs about the same as 3 blocks of super hard....
    This might help you out a little: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ge-Scrap-Smelt
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12