Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 1911 Compensated Bushing

Boolit Bub

1911 Compensated Bushing

I had a 1911 come in the shop not too long ago, it wasn't cycling (wasn't going fully into battery) and the slide lock wasn't functioning. The slide would not go back far enough for it to engage.

The failure to go into battery issue was due to a poorly fitted compensated bushing. It was just too tight on the barrel. After I solved that is when I noted the slide lock issue.

With the barrel removed, the slide lock functioned. Add the barrel (not the bushing) the slide lock functioned. Add the bushing, the slide lock would not function. The internal shoulder of the bushing was running into the shoulder on the barrel, preventing the slide from going back far enough to engage the slide lock. I removed about .100" from the bushing shoulder and problem solved.

Moral of the story: drop in parts aren't always drop in and if you don't know what you're doing, don't.

Ah, but were would all the after market suppliers be if they couldn't offer "drop in" parts. Somewhere in my box of parts I have one of those, best part was it was long enough to cycle the action by just pressing the compensator on the nearest immobile object (door, wall, table, etc) for one handed loading of a 1911.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Do those bushing compensators really do much in the way of recoil/muzzle flip reduction?

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Do those bushing compensators really do much in the way of recoil/muzzle flip reduction?
    With hotter loads, yes, some. It's more of a weight than anything, though. Changes the balance.

Lowering the pistol in your hand does much more for flip.

Josh

It didn't for me in 45 acp but my friend was using 38 super and it did noticeably change his gun
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

No not much as the large difference between the bore dia and bushing dia is quite large, for best efficiency from regular barrel attached comps slightly over bore dia by about 20 to 30 thousands is best i !

I checked the threaded barrel attached comps exit hole diamiters on the following six . I have 2 in 45 acp's checked in from 23 to 13 thousands over bore dia .

A SSK muzzle break / comp on one of my FA 454 casull measured 26 thousands over bore dia.

The two 38 super comps ranged from 14 to 17 thousands over bore dia.

A generic Volquartsen 22lr screw on comp for a S&W Victory measured 92 thousands over bore dia.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 09-26-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Boolit Master

they do virtually nothing, as the hole in the comp has to be very large for the barrel to pass through, and with the 45acp being low pressure to start with it makes them 99% junk. threaded on comps are another story entirely, and even work reasonably well with lower pressure cartridges like the 45acp, though the more gas you put through them, the better they work.