RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: The smell of cosmoline in the evening

Boolit Master

The smell of cosmoline in the evening

I have been prepping all of my dies, presses, and other assorted metal tools for long term storage. Up to 3 years ( I'll be glad when I'm retired).

I spent awhile researching long term storage and kept coming back to cosmoline. I ordered a gallon and a half and have been dipping stuff in it.

I highly suggest you don't wear your Sunday's finest if doing this, lol.

In about 3 years y'all may want to buy stock in mineral spirits since that's what I'll be using to clean it off, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Love Life the 3 years will go in a blink of the eye....yet to have your equipment in good shape will be priceless.....good luck brother! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Every once in a while I get some parts at work covered in cosmo.... people look at me funny as I shove my nose in it and take a deep breath. The smell brings back so many wonderful memories

Boolit Grand Master

I hope the three years pass quickly. Be Safe!

Moderator Emeritus

I have fond memories of cleaning up a case of SKS rifles back in the first clinton era.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

The cosmoline we used at work was stiff enough that when we remove it a couple cuts and it would peel off with a simple wipe down needed. We used a slow cooker to melt it and coated reqround end mills, gages, preccision parts, and things for storage in the parts crib. One trick is a short dip makes for a thicker coating a longer dip time allows the part to warm and more to run off before it cools and solidifies.

Boolit Master
    Still remember the cosmoline smell you had in old gunshops that sole mil surp rifles. Not too many of the old shops around. Frank

Boolit Master
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes.I remember it well.Bought a really pristine 98 Mauser marked 1918 on the receiver.(paid 12.50 for it)Yeah,it was that long ago.Maybe 50 years ago.What a mess to get it clean.Almost two weeks of scrub,scrub.scrub.Even with soaking it between scrubbing in mineral spirits.Dad stood back and laughed the whole time.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Still remember the cosmoline smell you had in old gunshops that sole mil surp rifles. Not too many of the old shops around. Frank
    Talk about fond memories! I miss those old shops.