Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-15 lower made from beer cans

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I wish I knew a guy with those kinds of toys at his house I keep his grass mowed just to hang out with him in that shop lol
    There would be a bidding war for the job!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Thay guy and i should be friends.... i want to build an AR10. Too expensive and his skill is highly impressive.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

In my world.....I would say he has 'mad skills!'
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    it is also not about the price, it is about being able to do it if one needed to down the road if one could not find parts.. aluminum cans will work but it takes so many of them and most of the can goes up in oxide because they are so thin. the way the aluminum foundries do it is they make a compressed puck and then put that in an already melted puddle of aluminum to decrease the chances of lost aluminum due to oxidization.. for higher strength parts i have always found that old aluminum car rims worked real well. for a good size standard car rim you could make an entire AR platform minus the internal steel parts and barrel. you can just about pick up old aluminum car rims from any junk yard, tire change place where you might be able to buy the warped or cracked rims for next to nothing, garages, landfills and roadside dumps. they are practically everywhere..

for your barrel you could use the steel from car or truck axle shafts and for the springs you could go as far as to repurpose the coil springs from an old mattress..just anneal them, straighten them out, and then coil them into whatever spring configuration you need and then heat treat to the desired level. the bolt and firing pin could be an actual grade 8 bolt.. it is time consuming but not really that hard to build a rifle if you have the tools to do so..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Not bad, all it would take is thousands of dollars of machinery, years of apprenticeship, and I could do that.
    no.. you can build a small blast furnace using a hair dryer as the blower, a metal 5gal bucket for the outside and a piece of a cut off oxygen cylinder for the middle, pack the air space between the 5gal bucket and cut off oxygen cylinder with either sand or other insulation material and plug your burner in the side though a hole and you got your own propane baby blast furnace. will melt aluminum to where it will pour like water..

you can do lost wax or lost foam casting where you make a pattern out of wax or foam and pack the thing in your mold material, vent the mold good, then heat the mold up to burn out or melt out the pattern and then pour your part or part blank..

you can do most of the cleanup work with files and chisels like the old days of flintlocks. use a hand drill to make the holes.

this is a misconception that it takes thousands of dollars of fancy equipment to make a gun. how did they make the guns in the 1700s? now the fancy equipment makes it easier, but it is not needed..

Banned
    Can aluminum not T6061 alloy but thats not the point. The man did the unthinkable he ventured into jmorris land and did something absolutely grand .

Boolit Master

The guys at the scrap yard tell me cans are made from 6061 aluminum.
    6061 is not the strongest, or the most corrosion resistant, but still good stuff.
    Material marked 6061 T6 is tempered to where the chips don't gum up your cutter when machining.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Great skill great video !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12