RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crony setup advice

Boolit Buddy

Crony setup advice

How does one go about getting the crony lined up properly so they can chronograph loads as they shoot groups? I can't ever seem to get it all lined up right and I end up just sending a few rounds into the berm and not keeping track of avg velocity and ES.

PS I shoot in the backyard so permanent setups are an option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I have put a sheet of translucent paper on the supports for the sun shields so I could sight into them when setting up. I always made a bunch of trips back and forth adjusting during set up. I had thought about a long string and a stake. From under rifle to just past the screens to the target then set the screens up just under the string. With your "private" range a screw eye could be installed in the front of the bench top for this even. A string and post ( light piece of tubing) and the string will run straight and give an idea of height. I also would take my son along and watch the alighnment while he set it up saved trips and poor set ups. Another would be a permenant post set in the ground with a mount for the sky screens. Set the sky screens on the post with the spacer and a couple wing nuts to lock down. The set up would repeat the set up very close every time this way. You want the post low enough you can safely shoot over it when not in use and a 8"-10" spacer to but the sky screens at the right height when in use. A 6"x6" post 3ft in the ground with a 2"X 8" top 18" long or so would be solid and a couple wing nuts on studs would lock the screens down good. I took the cowards way out and bought a Lab Radar unit a few years ago.

Boolit Master
    If you have your Chrony set up on the usual photography or spotting scope tripod, the easiest and quickest method I've found was that recommended by the late, great Ken Howell. This assumes you are sighted in already and your rifle can be cleaned from the breech.

Set up your target, put your rifle on the bags and align the crosshairs on the bullseye. Remove the bolt or open the action. Recheck the scope alignment. Set the Chrony and tripod up in front of the rifle. Align the sky screen windows up vertically and horizontally by moving the tripod legs and cranking the platform up and down while making sure that you can see through the barrel from muzzle to open breech. When you can see "the light at the end of the tunnel" with your eye at the midpoint between sky screen and shade you are there.

It's kind of like boresighting in reverse. I've been able to set up my Chrony this way before the other shooters finish taping their targets and walk back to the firing line. Then you get your groups as well as your velocities for your series of shots.

It turns out for me that a wood pallet on top of my cast iron cauldron grill on wheels is the perfect height for my chrony 10' from the bench. So, I only set it up when I want to chrono several guns and loads. Of course this is my own range. My friend brought over a chrono that straps to the barrel and juts out under the muzzle. I'm jealous- set up time one minute!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am relatively new to using a chronograph, but I have not had any issues using the tripod to set it up about 10 ft from the muzzle, but I have only been using it for handguns at present. 25 yds to target. Will be using it for shotgun & rifle in next month or so. I can see how someone might have a little trouble setting up for longer distances, so I am interested in reading the answers here. I reckoned that it would not be much trouble to sight down the barrel to set it up, once a few shots are fired to "zero in" on the target itself. Then set up the crony to that trajectory using the long gun sight(s)/barrel.

I have a magnetic laser level and I was thinking about using it for a laser sight from barrel to target. Should show me the basic trajectory of the firearm without firing a shot. At least at 10ft from the muzzle. (might try that "paper" as suggested above if the laser did not work to the longer distanece, just to get in the center of the rods)

Below is a level like I am talking about. Not the same one, but basically like the one I have.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1...vel-67800.html

Interesting topic to me. I will be reading as the posts come in.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got things lined up today and put some rounds through the new rifle. Used the look back through the bore deal and it worked out well. The loads not so much but that's another story.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I find it best to work with a partner with my chrony set up on a tripod - and my partner has the MAGNETOSPEED bayonet type chronograph but what I lust after is the labradar
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ar-chronograph
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I don't shoot for groups and chrony at the same time. Just set the chrony when looking back at the barrel.
    Whatever!

I always try for groups at the same time I test velocity. I set my chronograph up so I am aiming through the top part of the shooting window just under the diffuser screens. That way I don't have to worry about shooting the chrono.
    Since it is only 10 feet away, it doesn't take very long to set it up and get it aligned. I have enough side to side area available on the shooting table that I can move a bit if needed.

Boolit Master
    My Bud and I use a piece of white poster board with a 1/2" black dot and cut to fit in V, and four cloths pins. Set rifle up on rest aligned with target (bolt removed, scope, irons). Mounted on Tripod with one guy looking and one guy adjusting, by yourself just takes longer. Have not ventilated/nipped ours yet, but like many things "there are those that have, and those that will". Oh, I forgot the boomers will blow the shades off, rubber band chain over top.

Boolit Grand Master

Put the target out. Put the firearm up on a bench rest using a solid rest of sand bags. Line up the sights on the center of the target paper and leave the firearm resting on the bags lined up. If the firearm is not zeroed then zero before putting the Chrony out. Measure at least 10' out from the muzzle (use the same distance each set up) and set up the Chrony so the start screen is at that distance. The use of a solid and sturdy camera tripod is best.

Stand in front of (target end) and look back through the screens and adjust the it so the center of the screens are lined up coaxial with the barrel.

Go back and look through the sights to check alignment. If using a variable scope have the power on the lowest setting. You want to make final adjustments so when in a shooting position on the bench you are shooting through the center of the screen window. Tweak the Chrony so when lined up on the center of the target paper the horizontal cross hair is even with the joints of the rods and the vertical cross hair is centered in the window.

I've shot thousands of groups through Skyscreens using this method w/o problem.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I've not shot the chrony but I have cut the cable and dented the tripod with gas checks that came off the bullet on firing.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 09-24-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    I use a laser bore sighter and a target in front of the screens. Works quick and haven't had a problem with the set up yet. It is quick and easy for one person to set up. I don't shoot targets with the chrony as all I want is load info.

Working up loads behind my shop I tend to set up the chrony and shoot for groups at the same time to 'kill two birds with a single stone' but at first it was a bit of a problem getting it all lined up correctly...

Finally I got tired of walking back and fourth, scoot a wee bit right or left and crank the tripod up a wee bit...so...I pulled a string from my target backstop to my shooting bench moved out about 12 foot in front of the bench and drove a spike into the ground under the center of the chrony.
    After that I left the tripod adjusted properly for height so when it comes out for a quick work up all I have to do is set it over the spike and bend down and sight across the top of the chrony like looking down a barrel with no sights and that aligns it correctly between target and gun...now I can get into testing workups real quick.

Oh yeah...don't forget to turn the chrony on or you'll do like me, sit down lock and load and discover the chrony is off! . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I find it best to work with a partner with my chrony set up on a tripod - and my partner has the MAGNETOSPEED bayonet type chronograph but what I lust after is the labradar
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ar-chronograph
    I have had many chronos over the years .. The Lab Radar is by FAR the best and easiest to setup I have ever had .. and you never risk shooting it .. Unless you do something really stupid . at it sits Behind and to the side of your muzzle
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    How does one go about getting the crony lined up properly so they can chronograph loads as they shoot groups?
    Bore sight down the barrel through the chrono to the target
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I have had many chronos over the years .. The Lab Radar is by FAR the best and easiest to setup I have ever had .. and you never risk shooting it .. Unless you do something really stupid . at it sits Behind and to the side of your muzzle
    I saw one of these in action last week. It worked just as he described. It gave readings at multiple distances between the muzzle and the target. Very nice tool.

Boolit Master
    There are those here that have erred in chronagraphing. Once we even had a contest. Thus my signature line. The Chrony still worked, sorta, but I bought a new one. Just this weekend I knicked one of the screen supports. Let us know if you should be considered as a chrony killer.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    There are those here that have erred in chronagraphing. Once we even had a contest. Thus my signature line. The Chrony still worked, sorta, but I bought a new one. Just this weekend I knicked one of the screen supports. Let us know if you should be considered as a chrony killer.
    I replaced my metal chrony rods with wood. much better when you err
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I replaced my metal chrony rods with wood. much better when you err
    Good idea for some... God idea for me I am thinking also. My luck runs thataway. Gonna make/get a couple sets just to put in the tote bag of the chrony.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast