Boolit Grand Master

Single action vs double action grip

do you all think one or the other is easier to shoot accurately
    for the single action grip I was thinking of the Ruger Bisley grip frame
    however I think single actions place you hand in a different spot in
    relation to the barrel over a double action
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I have both and shoot both styles equally - poorly. That said, I have killed more stuff with a DA revolver. If I want a revolver for defense against bear or if I had a chance to crawl into a hole after a mountain lion, it will be a DA. The faster hammer fall on a DA makes them a bit easier to shoot well.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I vote for the double action grip. The vast majority of single action grips simply don't work for me.
    They feel fine in the hand, right up until I shoot them.

Boolit Master
    Shooting well is determined by holding a good Consistant grip holding a good sight picture, holding as still as you can and operating the trigger in such a way as to not disturb your sight alignment.
    That is it in a nutshell. You should be able to do that with either or not be able to do that with either depending on your skill.

Boolit Master
    I find the Bisley grip similar to my GP100 and SRH, but the plowhandle is a different animal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Shooting well is determined by holding a good Consistant grip holding a good sight picture, holding as still as you can and operating the trigger in such a way as to not disturb your sight alignment.
    That is it in a nutshell. You should be able to do that with either or not be able to do that with either depending on your skill.
    Be that as it may the double action grip frame is much more comfortable for me to shoot.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    This is one of the more subjective areas of handgunning--the best answer is based on preferences and try-outs. I can manage plow-handle S/As OK, prefer the Bisley S/A (have Colt and Ruger examples), and have the most time with D/A revos or autopistols. I am NOT a "master" of any of these types, as last week's desert jaunt after a lay-off of some months bore out succinctly. It took about 15-20 rounds to get the D/A revolver "vibe" back and stop embarrassing myself. They are perishable skills, esp. when you mix in several modes and systems. It's all fun, though. THAT is the good part.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In any cartridge more powerful than 38 special target loads, I have not been able to find a single action revolver that was comfortable for me to shoot. No matter the manufacturer, it always ends up beating up the knuckles on my fingers or gouging the web between my finger and thumb. It doesn't matter how tight I grip or if I change the grips to Hogue or Pachmeyer. I could have just as much fun using a hammer on my hands.
    I have never fired a Bisley grip to this point so I don't know if that would work for me or not.
    DA grips have never been a problem except for the small K frame grip. Those get changed to Pachmeyer.

Boolit Master
    I can't stand the DA grip, to me it feels like there's no support in the web of my palm. Jordan Trooper grips from Herrett and Pachmayr make grips that help but I prefer the standard SA frame, even over the Bisley.

Enjoy your time at the range deciding which one works best for you and post what you decide, I look forward to hearing from everyone on this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    If I had a chance to crawl into a hole after a mountain lion, it will be a DA. The faster hammer fall on a DA makes them a bit easier to shoot well.
    Don't forget to wear ear plugs.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Handgun grips and how to grip is a science unto itself. Each person has a different hand shape. Add in the (often) lack of proper instruction on how to grip a handgun, followed by a set of grips that do not fit the shooters hands, and you can have issues.
    As an instructor, I try to stay abreast of any developments in shooting techniques that can be applied to helping shooters improve, or to assist new shooters in becoming proficient.
    Grip design is just one of the many factors to consider. Next is to get a set of grips that fit the shooters hands. Follow that with actual, hands on dry fire instruction, followed by live fire can & will make a big difference.
    SA, DA, Bisley, are all shaped differently. Add in hand sizes, and it can be wonderful, or miserable.

Boolit Master
    I have no problem with the S&W double action grip...it feels good, and repeatable even with substantial recoiling calibers. I have no problems with most semi auto's...1911's, Sig P220's, Shield, Glock (hate the grip angle) and others.
    However:
    I have a Ruger Stainless Blackhawk, 4 5/8" and it is comfortable with light loads although difficult to repeat the grip. With my "woods protection load" (RCBS 285Gr. SWC at 965 fps. it is decidedly uncomfortable to shoot more that 5 or 6 rounds at a time....drawing blood on the inner surface of my thumb near the web. I can handle it with gloves but it bites as I can't seem to stop it from rolling.
    My question is, will the gunfighter style grips with more meat at the top help this?

Boolit Master
    Get yourself some,pachymayer grips. I am a wimp and use them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Don't forget to wear ear plugs.
    HUH? Say again??
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    HUH? Say again??
    Ever shoot a gun in an enclosure?
    Maybe from a van with the sliding door cracked open and the muzzle still inside the van?
    Or try this, with no ear plugs. Stick your head and shoulders inside a 55 gallon drum and shoot a hole in the bottom.
    If that sounds like fun crawl into a hole after a mountain lion and empty your gun as fast as you can on the cat.

I'll say it again, Don't forget to wear ear plugs.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Ever shoot a gun in an enclosure?
    Maybe from a van with the sliding door cracked open and the muzzle still inside the van?
    Or try this, with no ear plugs. Stick your head and shoulders inside a 55 gallon drum and shoot a hole in the bottom.
    If that sounds like fun crawl into a hole after a mountain lion and empty your gun as fast as you can on the cat.

I'll say it again, Don't forget to wear ear plugs.
    I had a ND once inside the house with a 22lr and it was unbelievably loud, I can only imagine how loud it would ever be if I had to use the .357 in my nightstand on an intruder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I thought a bad guy shooting a .44 magnum at my fellow officer one night was loud, that fellow officer said it was really loud when the gun was pointed at him!

The bisley grip frame was developed for target shooting. I have 2 original Colt bisleys and they are wonderful to shoot and don't rotate to the 12 o'clock position when shooting one handed like the SAA handle with a full load. The plow handle single action is fine for most shooting especially when using 2 hands but any double action grip is better for both single and double action shooting for me. Just my .02.