Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High quality vintage handgun- RG10

Boolit Master

High quality vintage handgun- RG10

You know, the .22 short revolver with the pot metal frame, good for a box or two of ammo before it's worn out?

This one is in pretty good shape, but since it's made with the quality of a cap gun I'm not terribly interested in shooting it much, probably a good candidate for getting a gift card at a "buy back". I'm not a gun snob, but there is kind of a limit.

On the other hand, I do have a few boxes of Aguila .22 "Super Colibri" ammo. It has a little 20gr bullet that's primer powered, no gunpowder. It has long brass but with the short bullet it fits fine in the little unthroated short cylinder. Being seriously underpowered ammo I assume it should be fine to shoot in this "Fine High Quality Firearm".

Any thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Brave, ain't you......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    The last one i had i paid 20 bucks for it. I traded a women the pistol for a Savage 22-410.

Moderator Emeritus

The RG10 has killed a passel of folks over the years....havent seen one in years.....they went the way of the other revolvers when semi-autos began to catch on....it was truly a poor mans gun with no precision but was yet a killing machine.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    Like buckwheatpaul, I've seen lots of intentional damage done by those little guns. Until the Saturday Night Special craze sponsored by the anti's got popular, they were everywhere. I was very, very sad to see them go the way of the dodo bird. Instead of facing a perp with one of those in .22 or a .25 acp, suddenly I had to face some actual & reliable 9mm, 40S&W, .357 mag and .45acp firepower. Seemed like within a year the vast majority of those disappeared and were replaced by Smith's, Sig's, Colt's, & Glock's. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks to you lefty so & so's.

Boolit Master
    I bumped off a pack rat with Super Colibris in my Buffalo SA pot-metal frame revolver. No damage to the gun. Even regular Colibris will exit the barrel on a .22 pistol. The Colibris start getting vertical dispersion past maybe 10 yards, while the Supers give around another 5 yards range.

You do need Long or Long Rifle chambers for Colibris. Remington sells a CB Short, and RWS offers CB and BB caps that would fit in a Short chamber. All of them are in there with the Colibris as far as operating pressure and stress on the gun.

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure my friend has the same gun in .32 S&W, and I fired it a few times recently. It was actually kind of fun, we had to handload ammo for it, but it did indeed function, and nothing unpleasant happened. Give it a go, you may have a good time with your high end shooter

Boolit Master

I tried a couple rounds into a 2x4 in the garage. They worked fine. I figure these rounds must have a fraction of the chamber pressure of standard .22 shorts.

The gun is "chambered" for .22 short, but the cylinder is unthroated, meaning a long rifle round will go in just fine except the bullet will stick out the end of the short cylinder. The Colibri rounds with their short little bullet chamber and fire just fine. Next time I see some CB Shorts I'll pick up a box or two.

Not that I think I'll shoot it much. I'm just not brave enough to fire it much with regular ammo.

They make good snake guns if you stick it in their ear before you shoot.

I had an RG 38 (38 Special) that my Dad had picked up for some silly reason. It had the tightest throats I've ever seen. Never actually measured them but the thing shot incredibly well. It scared me so I sold it.

Boolit Buddy
    I know it ain't it nothing to brag about but my daddy gave me one for my 10th birthday and I shot a pile of 22lr out of it until I could buy something better. Still got it. It had a crappy trigger but It was my woods running gun back in the day when a young boy could do that without getting in trouble.

Had one, traded mine for a mil-surp arctic sleeping bag. I felt like I screwed the guy.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Back when K-Mart sold guns the RG-22 short was 9.97 and the 22 long rifle was 12.97. I beg my dad to buy me one. He told me if i got all A on my report card he would buy it. So i never got one.

Boolit Master

Well I think this one is a good candidate for a "buy-back". For kicks I took it to the range with me and shot some Colibri rounds. It shaves lead pretty bad. I suppose I could fix it if I wanted to, but somehow I don't think it's worth the effort.

Boolit Master

Run it to destruction with the ammo it was intended to run, while giving it a decent modicum of indoctrinated gun owner's maintenance that the typical RG owner wouldn't. All in the name of SCIENCE.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Run it to destruction with the ammo it was intended to run, while giving it a decent modicum of indoctrinated gun owner's maintenance that the typical RG owner wouldn't. All in the name of SCIENCE.
    I doubt he'll go broke buying ammo! I tried to steer a good friend of mine into saving up for a good used Smith and Wesson or Ruger, but he just had to have a gun right now. He bought an RG in 32 that would put 5 shots in a group, and two shots sideways in the target at 20 yards. He felt better for being armed, but I wonder how that turned out for him.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Back in the day, I owned an RG 357 mag. It didn't live long. The barrel blew out between the cylinder and the frame before I finished the first box of ammo.
    It was replaced by the store and I immediately traded it off without firing it, for a much better handgun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I think about all I'd need would be maybe one box of .22 shorts. I shot a couple regular short rounds through it, and the bottom of the brass was bulged out a little. The Colibri rounds worked fine other than shaving. If I get time I might tinker with it more, try to stretch the hand so it stops shaving, but even then I think all it's good for is primer-powered rounds or blanks.

Funny thing is I noticed a bunch of "kits" on EBay- looks like whole guns minus the frame, or remnants of the frame still attached, selling for $60. I wouldn't pay $60 for the whole gun even brand new!

Boolit Master
    A co worker found one at a Yard Sale.
    He brought it to me to safety check it before he gave it to his daughter.
    The front sight was bent over to the side, but it looks mechanicly in good condition.
    It timed up fine and so I decided to give it a go.
    In the 5 th shot of standard Remington 22 short, the Barrel and the whole front of the frame went flying down range.
    Armoredman was there when it happened, and he said before I shot it that I was crazy to even put a live round in it.
    I picked up the pieces and called my friend.
    He said Keep it for parts.
    So I thought I would crazy glue it all back together, so at least he could use it as a paperweight or hang it on the wall.
    It looked pretty good, so I took it out to my test fire chamber and fired another 10 rounds thru it.
    (It was clamped in a jig , so I wasnt holding it)
    But I noticed that the edges of the glue had started to turn white like it was crystalizing.
    So I thought, If I can Glue the gun back together, then why not solder it back together.
    That was a Bad Idea.
    The frame is such cheap pot metal, that it Melted before the solder did.
    And that was with 450 degree solder.
    I am thinking about making a Mold and casting another frame out of salvaged Zinc Wheelweights.
    Cant let that Zinc go to waste.

Boolit Master
    I remember when the RG family had a corner on the Saturday Night Special market. The RG14 had an ejector rod that screwed into the cylinder retainer, had to be removed and used to eject live or empty cases from the cylinder. Then there was the deluxe RG23 with a swing-out cylinder with spring loaded ejector. Only well healed folk could afford that pricier model. I still have a load of parts from several of those models we "de-commissioned" back in the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast