RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High quality vintage handgun- RG10

In Remembrance
    I have my Mother-in-laws RG 23 deluxe 22 LR. Shoots shotgun pattern. Put it back in the drawer. Waiting for a hard up deal!

Boolit Master
    I have a ROHM Model 63 that was my girfriends Late Husbands pistol.
    Her daughter wanted me to Safety Check it , so she could have at as a memory of he dad.
    It is a ,38 Special Cowboy Style double action.
    I showed them that the Top Strap is Flame Cut from the .38 special loads that he had been shooting.
    They were Lead Target loads.
    I told them it is not Safe to shoot, But I will unscrew the firing pin, place it inside the grip for safe keeping, and then build her daughter a Shadow Box to display the gun in along with other memories of her dad.
    But with the firing pin removed, it lessens the chance of one of her daughters boyfrieends talking her into taking it out and trying to shoot it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I have a ROHM Model 63 that was my girfriends Late Husbands pistol.
    Her daughter wanted me to Safety Check it , so she could have at as a memory of he dad.
    It is a ,38 Special Cowboy Style double action.
    I showed them that the Top Strap is Flame Cut from the .38 special loads that he had been shooting.
    They were Lead Target loads.
    I told them it is not Safe to shoot, But I will unscrew the firing pin, place it inside the grip for safe keeping, and then build her daughter a Shadow Box to display the gun in along with other memories of her dad.
    But with the firing pin removed, it lessens the chance of one of her daughters boyfrieends talking her into taking it out and trying to shoot it.
    How serious is the flame cutting? That is usually a self limiting issue. Not unsafe unless it has gone so far as to weaken the topstrap.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    After the incedent with the RG in 22 short blowing up, And having seen lots of Rohm, RG and IMP guns that have Blown Up I dont want to take any chances.
    It probably means more to the girl as a momento of her late father, than something she can shoot or sell.
    But if it blows up, even if no one gets hurt, then she has Nothing.
    She does have some of his other guns, like a Ruger Single Six Early Model that I will take her out and teach her to shoot it, and maintain it properly.

I have seen what you say about the Self Limiting issue with Flame cutting.
    But that was on Good Steel like a Ruger .357 Max.
    But this is Mystery Pot Metal that was Investment cast, and does not have a Consistant Molectural Structure, being Cast and stamped.

I have one of those with a 3" barrel. I use it with rat shot to shoot snakes while groundhog hunting . Lots of copperheads around here. Been shooting it for 30 years and it's not worn out yet .

Boolit Master
    I told her that the pistol would probably be safe to fire Shot Shells , or Wax or Plastic Practice bullets, and maybe a small dose of light loaded .38's or Squib loads.
    But not being the one in control of the firearms use, I dont want to take the chance that someone would shoot a regular .38 , especially a jacketed load in the gun.
    She does not know enough about firearms right now, and she would be easially talked into, If it shoots Rat Shot, then it is fine with everything I can stuff in the chamber.
    So disabling it for the time being, but keeping the firing pin with the pistol, will help to retain the High Collectors Price as still being All Original.

P.S.
    I just recently found out that here in Arizona, Rattlesnakes are protected and you cant kill them.
    But dead snakes tell no tales.
    I can claim Self Defense if I have to.

Boolit Man

I have an RG that I found in a house we bought. Scary looking thing and just kept it not wanting to shoot it. It has now found a purpose using it as a blank pistol for dog training. Not sure how well it will hold up shooting 22 blanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually, it does.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Actually, the initials RG stand for "rotten gun". What do you guys expect for $19.95????/beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned

was stationed in VA in the early 70s and a buddy and I bought one new at a local gunshop. I think they were like 30 bucks a piece. We each bought a box of 22 shells at the same time. Took them out in the woods and found they went bang about half the time and when they did they wouldn't hit a tree 10 steps away. Both of them ended up in the trash.

Boolit Master
    Waaaaay back when I was a teenager, a kid I knew got one of the cheap .22 solid frame versions. He pulled it out of his pocket to show me. Evidently the center pin caught on his pants because it came out. Without the center pin, the cylinder went flying. When the cylinder went flying, the .22's scattered in all directions. It was certainly a spectacular entrance. It took him quite a while to gather up all the parts and reassemble them. I heard later that it blew out the cylinder/topstrap shooting hi-velocity .22LR's.

I have an RG-10, it was my grandpa's nightstand gun so I can't get rid of it, even have the box and a sissy little holster for it. But man, what a steaming turd it is.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 069.jpg   071.jpg  
    Last edited by rondog; 10-05-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    My friend had one, and once he parked his truck and was going to the kennel to take care of his dogs when he wandered upon a fat Georgia rattlesnake. He shot not one but TWO cylinders full at the snake, who probably was a bit lethargic due to the temperature. Didn't hit him once.He went back to the truck and got a hoe. That worked well. The rattlesnake ended up as part of dinner that evening.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12