Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: If you had a couple boxes of....

Boolit Man

If you had a couple boxes of....

If you had a couple boxes of some factory made boolits for a caliber you don't shoot, would you bother selling them? Or should I just chuck them in my melting pot?

I got what what my eyeball says are 44 mag boolits. And I just don't have that round anymore. I use 357 and 45 colt, 454, 45 acp, but no .429

But I can't help think that shipping these is kind of pointless, and just melting them would make more sense.

Thoughts?
    HONOR
    If you need it defined, you don't have it.

Ron Swanson
    Pyramid of Greatness

Boolit Master
    Depends, personally would offer up for local trade depending on the quality and alloy. Or ,to be honest, I would probably end up buying a gun to shoot them. Wound up with a 17 HRM that way,.....
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Yep, buy a .44 or melt them down.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Seems to always be a market for store bought boots here in the WTS/WTS section. Not near full price but the sellers at least get something out of them and whoever buys 'em has a use for them. I've purchased some over time for various calibers when they were something I could use at a reasonable price and it saved me the time casting when my time was limited. You cold list 'em and see if anybody needed them and then if not, melt 'em down. If somebody could use 'em though, seems a shame not to help them out a little by giving the a chance to get some at a decent price to try/and or use.

Boolit Master

I'd list em here for sale or trade for something I could use.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Yeah I'd offer a trade. I you don't make a deal with anyone, melt them into something you can use.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banner Sponsor

You might take a look at gunbroker and see What the going price is. Then ship it with the usps flat rate box.

Boolit Man
    Trade, that is a good idea. Thanks
    HONOR
    If you need it defined, you don't have it.

Ron Swanson
    Pyramid of Greatness

Boolit Master

Sell or trade if your the type that does so.

Boolit Master

You mention "a couple of boxes"...how many boolits are you actually talking about? Boxes of 500 would be a whole different deal than boxes of 100. Also, what's the diameter at the drive bands and do you have any idea of the alloy? Not trying to be critical but those are items most people would have to know before considering a trade. (At a time before I began powder coating, I once melted down something like 950 240 gr. .44 SWC from a very reputable commercial caster because the were sized .429 from a very hard alloy and didn't shoot worth horse apples in either my Smiths or Rugers.)

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

If they were jacketed I would post them for sale. If lead, I dump them in the melting pot without a second thought.

Isn't it a rule that if you have 2 boxes of boolits for a caliber you don't currently own, that you are required to buy a gun and reloading kit so you can shoot them?

Boolit Master
    Sounds right to me........
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

It is stupid to melt good bullets down for scrapp unless you are desperate for lead. While I agree
    that shipping bullets in small quantities is not practical, I would just stash them. Take them with
    you to shows. If you are active shooter who knows, tomarrow you might pick up a gun for them.
    I cast boolits to afford to shoot more, the same reason I reload. I don't mind doing it but would
    rather be shooting than casting. Bullets represent more than lead scrap, I think of the time and
    trouble it took to cast them.