Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chimney questio

Boolit Master
    I've really hit a brick wall on this one. Unless I can find a new old stock pushed in a corner some place( very unlikely) or a house getting torn down, or one at one of the salvage places, I'm SOL. The joints are to complicated to reproduce as a one of. It's to dangerous to risk trying to cobble a joint.

Boolit Buddy
    Nobody said anything about cobbling something together. This is not rocket science stuff, its a pipe inside of another pipe. Any good hvac shop will have the equipment to make a good safe joint.

Boolit Master

Page 173
    https://www.duravent.com/docs/produc...2012-sep_w.pdf

46DVA-KCB FITS
    Masonry Chimney
    Conversion Kit
    7” & 8” PRO JET

http://www.duravent.com/OperationHours.aspx
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    Or top the trees.
    In a storm ....trees are not your friends. August 26 , 2008 Hurricane Gustav and four tall pine trees proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that houses and garages attract falling trees .
    Our street was named Hundred Oaks , after Gustav, it was renamed Seven Oaks .

Take the trees down , two problems solved, no tree to fall on house or block chimney !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The trees are not close to being over the house but they are enough to change the pressure over the house in relation to the ridge

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    The trees are not close to being over the house but they are enough to change the pressure over the house in relation to the ridge
    Trees can change the windflow if they are within 25=30 times the distance of their maximum mature height. For example, a 30ft pine tree can change the windflow as a windbreak up to 900ft away and this can cause drawing problems but not always. Best windbreaks are evergreens planted no more than 5x the max mature height of the tree away from the structure. Trees behind the house can have as great or more an effect on chimney draw as those in front of it (upwind and downwind) by creating a backflow dead air space where the wind "stacks up".
    Last edited by jonp; 10-01-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    jonp you hit the nail on the head in regard to trees and air pressure.

I had the same problem for years, I finally solved it by putting a draft inducer on top to the chimney. It works great. It now has a positive continuous draft, it is easier to control the burn, I can now have a smaller fire burning for a longer period of time than I ever could before. It was not cheap, about $500 but worth every dime. I burn coal in the stove hooked to that chimney.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Burning pellets I have a draft inducer(only way they burn) and yes it does make the fire easier to control. But you can still have draft issues. I get some backdraft at times with NE winds because it creates a high pressure swirl where the vent exits the wall.

Boolit Master
    Paul, tell me more about your draft inducer. I have heard about them but never have I seen one. Do you have a web link by any chance? Thanks.

Well if there is any upside to all of this I hope watching the winds and low pressures here at home help me at the 1000 yard matches. I need to get all of my mole windmills out next spring just to watch them to help with my shooting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12