WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chimney questio

Boolit Master

Chimney questio

I have a chimney question I need to throw out for the experts here because I'm stumped.

In 1981 I put our chimney in the house. Its a Stainless double wall insulated 8". When we built the house we were in the middle of ag fields, no trees. I used the formulas for height over roof line and things worked fine all those years. Now the trees are 30 feet higher than the house, you guessed it, constant down draft from the low pressure they create in relation to the top of the roof line. I need to add on a two foot section which I know would help. All the old stove shops in this part of the state are gone. What Menards, Home Depot, Lowes are selling has a different pitch of threads for the sections to screw together. I tried, they are not even close. I know I purchased all the chimney parts at Menard's and if my feeble old memory is half way close it was JAX Brand. Probably Canadian. Any older chimney experts here that can get me pointed in the right direction. Its hopeless here as the younger retail folks aren't into wood burning and don't have a clue when I ask them. Thanks in Advance everyone.

Boolit Master

I am no chimney expert, but I googled Jax, 8 in SS double wall, and google asked if I meant JAZZ brand, available from woodland direct. Good luck. A 2 foot extension of single wall might be enough to help at the exit end.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    Worked for 25+ years in wood heat. You should never use single wall extension on top of chimney as it will cause many other problems later [ie chimney fires]. You are best to match the chimney brand and after 35 years you may not find it as there has been allot of turn over in the industry, common US brands from the '80s for insulated was Metalbestos still around, the brand you think you remember I have not heard of but there were many lower cost and imported stuff in the heyday of wood in the '70s thru the early '90s. The old rule of height was 2' higher than any thing within 10' or 3' over the ridge, down drafts from the surrounding area may need more than the 2' your thinking. Hope this helps and good luck in finding your parts.
    Shaune509

Boolit Grand Master

single wall on the top with a cap or t would work I think. It's a wood stove not for a propane non forced, right?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Non-insulated on top means cooling creosote and buildup there...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by shaune509 View Post
    Worked for 25+ years in wood heat. You should never use single wall extension on top of chimney as it will cause many other problems later [ie chimney fires]. You are best to match the chimney brand and after 35 years you may not find it as there has been allot of turn over in the industry, common US brands from the '80s for insulated was Metalbestos still around, the brand you think you remember I have not heard of but there were many lower cost and imported stuff in the heyday of wood in the '70s thru the early '90s. The old rule of height was 2' higher than any thing within 10' or 3' over the ridge, down drafts from the surrounding area may need more than the 2' your thinking. Hope this helps and good luck in finding your parts.
    Shaune509
    Reread this post and take it as gospel.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Reread this post and take it as gospel.
    Yes I know its the gospel. That's why I'm so cautious about this thing. Unless I can find an section of pipe that will couple with my existing I'm just about down to 2 choices, quit burning wood or replace the entire chimney from the basement up.

I just wish I could find or the manufactures would list the dimensions for the offset and locking teeth of their pipe.

Boolit Master
    Thanks skeettx. I'll shoot them an email question to the best of my ability with measurements. Hoping maybe someone else on here faced the same challenge and has some answers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Yes I know its the gospel. That's why I'm so cautious about this thing. Unless I can find an section of pipe that will couple with my existing I'm just about down to 2 choices, quit burning wood or replace the entire chimney from the basement up.

I just wish I could find or the manufactures would list the dimensions for the offset and locking teeth of their pipe.
    Or top the trees.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

you can mate two different types of pipe as long as the inside diameter and outside diameter are the same, just need some sheet metal and screws. a wind deflector that moves with the direction of the wind would work but would need regular maintenance. a draft inducer fan would also work.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    you can mate two different types of pipe as long as the inside diameter and outside diameter are the same, just need some sheet metal and screws. a wind deflector that moves with the direction of the wind would work but would need regular maintenance. a draft inducer fan would also work.
    If you decide to do that make sure your screws are no longer than 1/4" and use plenty. Make sure also that all seams are outside the house.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaune509 View Post
    Shaune509
    Shaune,

Since we built this house with our own 4 hands we have every shred of paper and receipt. Today my wife found the info. I was way off on the brand name.

It was Pro Jet SSG from Ontario Canada

Googling I'm still going in circles, probably they are like everyone, purchased and gobbled up. Did you ever hear of Pro Jet? The brochure we used shows Part # SL2 for a 8" 2' section or SL3 for a 3' section. I know that just uncovering this info doesn't get me any closer to finding a chunk of pipe that will fit. Thanks

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Have you run a camera thru your chimney ,it might be clogged ? I am tomorrow hammering thru a plugged 8" flu with 1 inch black pipe and if it works my chimney guy has a mechanical device if we can bust thru and make a hole ,it"s that third stage of creosote (HARD) .If it works I will install a 6" smooth wall S.S. liner and then insulation and burn a lot more wood an clean more often . The camera showed the problem ,trees might not be the issue if there is sufficient setback it could be creosote /Good luck Ed

Boolit Master
    I'll keep searching but it's looking like I'm up a creek. shaune was right, there have been so many design changes that joint thread is long discontinued by the manufacturer from the e mail reply's I'm getting. I'm going to look at the salvage places in the area just to see if I might get lucky on a home they tore down that had a wood burning chimney.

Ed it's a good thought on the cleaning but mine is clean for sure. I brush it at least twice a season.

Moderator Emeritus

At one time Metalbestos sold a 6" long clamp type extension that went over a insulated double wall pipe and converted it to their threads. I went to work for a gas company in 1980 and I don't remember the exact name. It is probably easier to trim trees.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Non-insulated on top means cooling creosote and buildup there...
    That's why you clean it and I mean clean it a few times a year. Had this for years in Northern New England without a problem and burning wood October-March or April
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Iowa fox, I do not recall the name of the one Canadian brand that was being sold on the west cost in the '80s. Hope you have luck fixing your chimney with out the expense of full replacement.
    JonP, first under proper install, dry fuel, and operation you should not need to clean the chimney if any more than once a year, second who in there sane mind wants to get up on a roof in snowy weather to clean a chimney. Short of using a man lift I would not do it for safety of myself, never mind the chimney.
    Just IMHO don't take any of this personally.
    Shaune509

Boolit Buddy
    If you can remove a piece, take to a HVAC sheet metal place to see if they can make you an adapter or complete pipe. It will probably be a little expensive but cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast