Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Experience w/Hodgdon Longshot in 9x19mm?

Boolit Master

Experience w/Hodgdon Longshot in 9x19mm?

MODS should feel free to move this to a more appropriate category, if they decide one exists.

Does anyone have experience with Hodgdon Longshot powder in 9x19mm? It certainly seems to give top velocities in 124/125gr. bullet weights, as well as the heavier projectiles. Never having used it, I'm in the dark about its characteristics, and I've always regarded it as something of a Magnum pistol powder, not especially suited to smaller-capacity rounds. CHIME IN, please.

Yes, this same post HAS been posted on other forums. I am looking for as many opinions as can be had.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I have used it with some 147 grain boolits(NOE 358-155-TC(ELCO) cast as a 147 grain HP) with good results. I haven't loaded any for a while but I have been working with other cartridges.
    Accuracy was good and the load felt snappy. I didn't chronograph it because I was indoors and haven't had any loaded up since.

Boolit Buddy
    I tested some in another caliber back when selection was very limited and found it to
    be obnoxiously loud, just throwing that out there.

Boolit Master
    I use it in 9mm to load Hornady 147 XTP. Works great!

Boolit Grand Master

I find it works really well however has earned the nickname "Loudshot" for a reason.

It is also a top performer in 40 S&W for me as well.

Boolit Master

It is an great powder for max velocity cast bullet loads with excellent accuracy in the 9MM. My Browning HP thought it was a bullseye pistol with the Lee 120@ 1220 fps and a Lee 150 2R@ 1050 fps. Groups consistently in the 2" range @25 yds benched.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Mold
    I have used some in 4 different pistols and I keep some ready on the shelf but I lean toward Autocomp for a little less snap as mentioned earlier.

Take care

Boolit Master
    Thanks, fellas!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I have just very recently gotten into using this powder,with a new mold, and a new (to me) technology - powder coating. In May I purchased this 359-135 Flat point plain based mold from Miha, nn 8 cavity, and it is a superb bullet weighing about 131gr in my alloy. Checking the manuals doesn't give many loads for this bullet weight, but extrapolating and using Brian Pierce's February- March 2013, (Handloader #282), I was able to get very satisfactory velocities, good consistency, and a very clean XDm after 250 rounds were fired. His article also listed Power Pistol, and Accurate #7, as very good top velocity loads,giving me the same velocities in my powder coated bullets as he was getting in his lighter jacketed Bullets. I had intended to give these other powders a try, but these are doing so well that I may postpone that for a while. Very satisfied with Longshot in the 9 mm. Oh, and by the way, I did try Longshot in the MP 125 gr hollow point and by seating it a bit long was easily able to approach 1300 FPS.