Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a powder recommendation for 45 ACP.

Boolit Master

Need a powder recommendation for 45 ACP.

I've been using TiteGroup for over a year. Works great. My concern is it doesn't take up much space in a 45 acp case. I load in 100 round batches, so I charge 100 cases, weighing every 5th charge, inspect them all, then set projectiles, then seat & crimp. I just witnessed what a double charge of TiteGroup will do to another reloader's 1911. So I'm thinking a bulkier powder will make double charges easier to spot.
    I was using Unique good results, pretty dirty though. Switched to TiteGroup for 9 & 45 as it was cleaner, cheaper and more available. There are dozens of published loads for 45's using various powders. Don't really want to buy them all to find one that burns clean and takes up more space. Any powder suggestions, other than the obvious- be more careful during the loading process?

Bullseye and the 45acp go together like beer and pretzels. W231 is another classic.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't give up on Unique, just yet. Try bumping the charge weight up by 1 or 2 tenths of a grain, and/or applying a slightly heavier crimp on the projectile, or even seating the projectile very slightly deeper in the case (one change at a time, please, and deeper seating isn't advisable in 9x19mm). Unique will NEVER be the cleanest-burning powder when used for lower-pressure loads (like under 22,000 psi), but it CAN be made to burn more cleanly than its reputation would have you believe.

You are right that vigilance while reloading is your first best protection against double-charging a case, but I also know that sometimes lightning strikes for no apparent reason. It is virtually impossible to double-charge even a magnum pistol case with Unique (I DO NOT include the .460 S&W and other similar "hand-cannon" rounds in that), particularly when charges giving higher performance are used.

I've never looked inside a bottle of Hodgdon Universal, but if it is bulky, it would tend to give you similar performance to Unique, and reportedly burns much more cleanly. Same situation with the new IMR "Target/Red/Green/Blue/Unequal" powders. The name of "Unequal" suggests (to me) that it is meant to compete with Unique, but again, I have no idea if it is a ball, flake, or other-shaped propellant. If it burns cleaner but does not fill the case like Unique does, you haven't really resolved your concerns.

All of the "clean-burning" medium-range pistol powders that come to MY mind are ball-powders or similar, and are not known for filling up the case. Perhaps someone else could address that?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Winchester WST has been a very popular powder for 45ACP with all boolit weights. It measures accurately and burns cleanly, giving good performance and accuracy. It also does a good job of filling the case.
    I use it for everything from 155 grains through 230 grains in my 1911 pistols.

I've used Clays powder for 200 gr and 230 gr loads. Relatively soft recoil and its not horribly dirty. I've shot idpa and ppc matches with it, it'll knock down steel and is accurate as I am.

Denny

Boolit Master

I like clays for target loads in 45acp with 200gr boolits. It is light shooting, bulky and very clean.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    I've used Clays powder for 200 gr and 230 gr loads. Relatively soft recoil and its not horribly dirty. I've shot idpa and ppc matches with it, it'll knock down steel and is accurate as I am.

Denny
    I also use Clays for 45 acp with 230 rn, idk how much of the case it fills up but it is a hoot to shoot.

Boolit Master

Red dot works too
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

.45ACP= Bullseye and Red Dot for me.

Boolit Master

I've tried alot of powders and always come back to 5.8/9 grains of Unique under a 230 LRN. All powders at 15-18K don't burn as clean as at higher pressure but if you run them wet with lube you can still get over 1k between cleanings. Biggest problem I've had with reloading 45 ACP is two ruputured Fiochi cases that were almost ballon head style. Fiochi brass picked up on the range is either left in place or scrapped. I only reload Win, Rem, Starline and speer cases.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if RedDot is bulky enough to prevent double-charging a .45 ACP case, but if it is, you'll like the results you get with it. In my experience, it burns more cleanly than Unique. It is a faster-burning powder, so it won't have the broad range of applications that Unique has. If it is sufficiently bulky and you can live with less versatility than Unique, this may be one of your best choices.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Winchester WST has been a very popular powder for 45ACP with all boolit weights. It measures accurately and burns cleanly, giving good performance and accuracy. It also does a good job of filling the case.
    I use it for everything from 155 grains through 230 grains in my 1911 pistols.
    I've been using WST for the past year with 45acp as well, works great for my 2 1911's. It has been quite accurate and repeatable load with my hornady powder dropper
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    I've had good luck with autocomp and unique for 230 grn.

Banned

aa2 is my favorite. Followed by bullseye

Instead of charging all 50 cases in the load block, why not charge one at a time and seat/crimp a round in the case right then...unless you have a brain fart you will not double charge your case.

That's your main worry right?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Another excellent 45 powder is 700x, very clean burning and usually available when Bullseye, R-Dot, and others are long gone.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for Red Dot, and as OS OK stated above....kinda. I charge a case and turn a boolit upside down into it immediately after. This tells me that, that case is charged and ready to accept that boolit. This is also handy if I get called away for a moment of time. No doubt where I left off and no chance of a double charge. YMMV. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    I use a flashlight and check EVERY case for over or under charging. It only takes a momentary distraction .........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Instead of charging all 50 cases in the load block, why not charge one at a time and seat/crimp a round in the case right then...unless you have a brain fart you will not double charge your case.

That's your main worry right?
    ^ That is what I do most of the time with powders that leave a lot of room in a case. ^

Should solve the issue if ya don't let yourself get distracted. If ya do leave the bench, don't leave any cases with powder in them.

PS - I like Red Dot. A Lot.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    I use a flashlight and check EVERY case for over or under charging. It only takes a momentary distraction .........
    As an OLD former Bullseye shooter who loaded a ton of 45 ACP, I agree. I batch loaded 50 at a time. Using a flashlight, going down a row at a time, you can instantly see any over or undercharge in any case. Never had any problems and had reliable ammo.

Also used the flashlight to inspect primers for anvils and compound. Never found any defective ones, but this was years ago, when high quality was
    'normal.'
    ....charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast