Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a powder recommendation for 45 ACP.

You know...way back when I had only a Rock Chucker and my case blocks and...when I used to charge all the cases and then proceed to seating/crimping...I used a flashlight to peer into every case in the block. Just the same as anyone else, just like the book says to do.

Why did that work so well?
    For this one reason...It took less than a minute, I started top left and went across every row to the right...just as you read a book. In that minute I knew that this one step is more important than anything else I would do to this batch of loads. No distractions, no tapping my foot to the radio music, no 'quick scan' of the block as a whole...just 100% attention to the task at hand..."Peer into each and every case in the block!"

When we get in a hurry or start shortcuts to save time, when we are distracted or minimize the importance of each and every step in reloading...well, we set ourselves up for 'Old Murphy' to play havoc with our craft!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Instead of charging all 50 cases in the load block, why not charge one at a time and seat/crimp a round in the case right then...unless you have a brain fart you will not double charge your case.

That's your main worry right?
    +1 .... set out 100 boolits, powder drop into a case (check weigh every 5th drop) and seat the boolit in the charged case....repeat. Crimp as a separate step. You have to keep your wits about you no matter your methodology.

Boolit Master

I feel ya, early on I double charged a 38 with bullseye, still have the rest of that can. 5 of red dot is my cheap 45 plinker, a double is just almost brim full, no way to seat a bullet. For performance loads hs-6 is awsome, in my hi-point carbine 9.6 gets 1300 fps with 200 rf boolits.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Another excellent 45 powder is 700x, very clean burning and usually available when Bullseye, R-Dot, and others are long gone.
    One of my favorite,700X is an often overlooked powder. Never had problems finding it on the shelf and don't let all the "meters like Corn flakes " keep you from giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    I use a flashlight and check EVERY case for over or under charging. It only takes a momentary distraction .........
    This. Pistol and rifle. Everytime. I have caught a few mistakes this way in 40+ years of reloading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Bullseye for all weights.

I like the shotgun powders for 45ACP. Use a lot of WSF and when it was available, Solo 1000. Both gave decent velocities and acceptable accuracy. Loaded both 200 LSWC and 230 LTC with 6.0 to 6.2 WSF. I think Solo 1000 was about the same.

Boolit Buddy
    WST is outstanding for lead boollits. I shoot a lot of bullseye matches and it is my "go to" powder. VV N310, Bullseye, Titegroup are also excellent choices. All are very accurate in my guns.

Boolit Buddy

I use Trail boss for my 2 current favorite loads 200/230 gr HP and you would have a hard time dropping 2 charges in the case with this powder. As I have found with most Trail boss loads either pistol or subsonic rifle loads the case is basically full.

just my 2 cents
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Winchester WST has been a very popular powder for 45ACP with all boolit weights. It measures accurately and burns cleanly, giving good performance and accuracy. It also does a good job of filling the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Another excellent 45 powder is 700x, very clean burning and usually available when Bullseye, R-Dot, and others are long gone.
    +1 on both. 700X is a bit bulkier than most of the other powders mentioned, so you can see it in the case more easily IMO. I am running a 550 for pistol though so I am "peering into each case" automatically. I use it in .38 special and .45 Colt now in place of Bullseye as it burns cleaner and hits my velocity numbers economically, but doesn't smell as good as BE lol.
    Like Tazman, WST is my .45acp choice, and it does drop like BE. And even though 700X meters less smoothly than the ball powders it's at worst + or - .2 gr on a bad day. If I ever run out of WST I would go to 700X in 45acp before 231 (my old standard) or BE. WSF is nice recoil wise in hotter .45acp loads but requires more powder for a given velocity. So it sits a tiny bit higher in the case too, just takes an extra half grain or so to hit a number.

Boolit Master
    Red dot works, too.
    +1
    One of my favorite,700X is an often overlooked powder. Never had problems finding it on the shelf and don't let all the "meters like Corn flakes " keep you from giving it a try.
    + 100 700X always APPEARS (TO ME) to not meter well, but I've never caught it throwing a too-heavy or too-light charge.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12