RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder Coating Plated Bullets

Boolit Mold

Powder Coating Plated Bullets

I have done some research on powder coating bullets, but most of the information I found was on cast bullets. I found very little information on powder coating plated bullets.

I recently purchased these bullets:

https://americanreloading.com/en/30-...mix-500ct.html

and these powder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will I be able to mix the bullets with the powder? Will the powder stick? If the powder does stick, will I need to resize the powdered bullets?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time trying to powder coat bullets. I have done as much research as I could, but because I am inexperienced, I couldn't absorb all the information I found. Hopefully I can get a clearer explanation here. Thanks in advance!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottentofu View Post
    I have done some research on powder coating bullets, but most of the information I found was on cast bullets. I found very little information on powder coating plated bullets.

I recently purchased these bullets:

https://americanreloading.com/en/30-...mix-500ct.html

and these powder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will I be able to mix the bullets with the powder? Will the powder stick? If the powder does stick, will I need to resize the powdered bullets?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time trying to powder coat bullets. I have done as much research as I could, but because I am inexperienced, I couldn't absorb all the information I found. Hopefully I can get a clearer explanation here. Thanks in advance!
    Why would you need to coat plated bullets?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by redford1 View Post
    Why would you need to coat plated bullets?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    I am new to reloading, so I am curious about everything. Also, color coding my reloads makes it easier for me to distinguish between different batches of reloads, especially for 300 Blackout.

Vendor Sponsor

Much easier to use colored markers on the neck or the case head
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold
    I understand there are easier ways color code my reloads, but I am just curious if this type of powder coating could be done.

Vendor Sponsor

yes it could be .. Lots of items like steel and aluminum are powdercoated .. a copper jacket should be no different ..
    Now as to how it would perform IE will the coating stay on during the travel down the barrel I don't have any idea
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 09-23-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Just to see how well it would work? Sure. It's your powder, your bullets, your time.
    But if it's just a color code for different loads the Sharpie is easier and faster. As a new reloader I'd hold off until you get settled on which components you like and getting your methods and procedures dialed in.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I powder coated some jacketed bullets as a gag gift and it did not bond well at all
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I have thought about coating plated bullets, just have not tried it yet. I get higher velocity with powder coat compared to cast with a traditional lube. That should translate to even more gains over plated since like jacketed they are not lubed at all.

Banned
    If yours is the same powder as

you'll find that it is amazing stuff, the best powder I have ever used. I was given this and other colors that cardinal makes and they did not dt worth a darn.

Here is a simple way to mark cases http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iy-case-marker

Should work well for werewolves, Grmps.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Boolit Master
    Im not sure the benefit of powder coating plated rounds would be worth it, but your time and money. I use the same method as mentioned previously, multicolored sharpies on the primer. Nail polish would work too I suppose.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Please stop coating plated pills. There is really nothing to be gained. It CAN be done and it is still PC, but they are already plated. It is really unnecessary.

Look at the triboelectric series Lead is up on the + side and copper is below zero on the minus side, the same side as Polyethylene, PVC and other polymers. That means you'll have a hard time getting powder coat to stick using simple "contact and release" static electricity (shaking). When copper and powder coat powder are charged up, they will repel each other.

As the others say, your time, your money. Come back and let us know how it worked out.

I revived this thread to ask the same question. For me it involves enlarging some .311 plated Barry's bullets for the 7.62X39. I bought some of these in bulk. The plating is advertised for 1900 fps and this is all I need. They do measure a strong .311. My Lee Enfield, the intended rifle, measures .314.

I am setting up to cast but it will be late summer or fall at the soonest.