RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data PBcastco

Thread: looking for a buckle, maybe

Boolit Grand Master

looking for a buckle, maybe

On vacation over Labor day we stopped in at a Wilson's Leather store and I bought a nice belt. Heavy duty and capable of carry. The third time I put it on the tongue of the buckle fell out. I have e-mailed Wilson's, but don't expect much - it was an outlet store.

My problem is I'm familiar with what Tandy leather has for buckles and all that I've seen are way too lightweight. Pictures look good, but hollowed out pressed metal, not stolid. If I replace the buckle I'd like a nice one, but I don't need a dozen, either.

I'd shop Amazon, but don't trust pictures after looking at the nice stuff Tandy has and then being disappointed. Any of you leather guys have a resource for one, solid buckle?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    You didn't say if you were looking for, i.e. solid western style or if you just want a standard buckle. If you want a solid standard buckle, try a tack shop were they have horse stuff. They make some real nice stuff like bridles etc.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Weaver Leather carries first quality buckles and fitting.

Boolit Man
    Know any pipe fitters, you'd be surprised how neat of belt buckles those guys can make out of small stainless pipe, and stainless rod. Look on ebay, might be some of them for sale over there. Just checked, there are several hand made pipe fitter type buckle on there right now.
    Last edited by ARKLITE881South; 09-23-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Wayne, could you show us the belt and give the width? Some of us may have just what you are looking for.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    A 16 penny nail will make a fine replacement tongue.

Boolit Buddy

You might try a farm supply store and go to the agile that sells "tack"

Boolit Grand Master

Belt is 1 1/2" wide. So the ones Weaver sells are solid? Again, can't tell with pics. Sorry guys, I do woodwork, don't have forging equipment.

Brad, the problem isn't the tongue. I would re-use that if necessary. Inside the belt itself, looking into where the tongue goes, are two small pieces of metal, I haven't pulled it apart but the metal through the belt that the tongue rotates on (don't know the nomenclature) isn't a solid piece and apparently never was. That's why I claim design flaw. Don't want another like this.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Perhaps you could post a photo of the belt/buckle? You say what Tandy carries are too light? Which ones are you looking at?I have used their brass and chrome 1 1/2" clipped corner buckles for years and they will long outlast a belt. I do leather work as hobby - i've used those buckles on gun belts, in fact I'm wearing one now on my pants belt which is on a heavy leather that I make for myself to carry OWB. Yep - they are stamped but I've never seen one fail and they are plenty heavy - not like the cheap chinese buckles that are on dress belts today.

What are you looking for? Brass? Nickle? Evidently what you are looking for is a heavy buckle as used on a duty belt? If you'll post a photo of your belt and buckle, I'll look and I may have a heavy nickel duty belt buckle that will work for you.

Next question is how is the buckle attached? Does the turn back snap and unsnap to remove the buckle or is it riveted? If riveted, you're going to have to drill or grind the heads off on the back side and remove them so you can replace the buckle. The turn back may be glued to the back side of the belt so that could be an issue as well. On my belts, I glue and use copper saddler's rivets.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I tried to add a photo of my favorite buckle. Upload failed is all it told me - not enough information to know how to fix a failed upload - as if I would anyway.

Main thing I don't like about pressed buckles is the sharp edges and if you file them you file through the plating. The one I like is cast metal and has a steel cylinder around the front metal where the tongue hits. It is solid and smooth all around.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

Not sure what you are talking about, but I think by tongue you mean prong, the part that goes through the hole in the belt? It sound like you have a roller buckle. In any case, www.buckleguy.com sells some nice solid metal buckles. I use them in the belts I make all the time.

Boolit Grand Master

I think it worked this time. Yes, Springfield, I'm guessing you are right. Lets see if this pic posts. Original was 3.6mb!

I checked Buckleguy's website. Bingo! Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02258.jpg  
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 09-25-2017 at 06:49 AM. Reason: added info
    Wayne the Shrink