RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: different alloy for smokeless?

Boolit Mold

different alloy for smokeless?

hi everyone, i been casting for my 45-110 black powder cartridges for awhile now with good luck using 30 to 1 alloy. i want to start casting some bullets for smokeless loads for the same gun can i use the same alloy or do i need to change my alloy? i thought i read somewhere you need to use a different alloy for smokeless loads because of barrel leading is this true? if so why?
    any information would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I'm not so sure you'll really need to change the lead alloy for smokeless if you're shooting the same FPS load, but you WILL need to change the lube, if you're using lube rather than powder coating the bullets. It will be interesting to see what the experts say about this because I'm not an expert by any means...... I'm at home and no longer own a briefcase

Boolit Mold
    good point i hadn't even thought about the lube i am shooting GG and i was thinking the same thing pressures should be the same or at least close so. but i swear i read something about gases cutting the bullets and causing leading just don't remember if it was because the alloy needed to be harder or softer well i just don't know but my thinking is similar to yours maybe someone else knows more then we do but thanks for the reply will definitely need to get some smokeless lube.

Boolit Grand Master

The alloy and lube you're using for your BP loads will work just fine with smokeless powder if velocities remain the same.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Larry just wanted to make sure before I make up these loads thanks