Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Practical difference

Boolit Bub

Practical difference

Hi, is there any practical difference between 45 ACP dies and 45 Auto Rim dies apart from the shell holder?

Boolit Master

No, it will reload both rounds.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Man
    Hornady Nitrile Taper Die sets are my preference. -----------------------------------------------------------Lyman Reloading Handbook #44
    Page # 127 (Verify Data Before Using)
    .45 ACP
    Lyman Shell Holder #2

185 grain Cast Bullets (#2 alloy)

Bullseye
    Suggested Starting Grains 3.5
    Velocity F.P.S. 778
    Maximum Grains 4.9
    Velocity F.P.S. 966 -----------------------------------------------------------Lyman Reloading Handbook #44
    Page # 128 (Verify Data Before Using)

.45 Auto Rim
    Lyman Shell Holder #14A

185 grain Cast Bullets (#2 alloy)

Bullseye
    Suggested Starting Grains 3.0
    Velocity F.P.S. 600
    Maximum Grains 4.5
    Velocity F.P.S. 855 ---------------------------------------------------------- "The .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol), or .45 Auto (11.43×23mm) is a handgun cartridgedesigned by John Browning in 1905, for use in his prototype Colt semi-automatic pistol. After successful military trials it was adopted, along with the Browning .45 Colt handgun, as the .45 M1911 cartridge. The handgun was designated M1911 handgun.[1]"
    More information at: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP

.45 AUTO RIM /.45 ACP cartridge

The .45 Auto Rim, a.k.a. 11.5x23R is a rimmed cartridge specifically designed to be fired in revolvers originally chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge.

The Peters Cartridge Companydeveloped the cartridge in 1920 for use in the M1917 revolver, large numbers of which had become available as surplus following the end of World War I.[3]

"The M1917 had previously been used with half-moon clips that held three rounds of the rimless .45ACP.[4] If half-moon or moon clips are not used with a rimless cartridge in a revolver, they must be ejected by hand with a rod or field-expedient tool like a pencil. In revolver cylinders not engineered to allow .45ACP to headspace properly, as in early production Colt M1917's, the cartridges could slip forward, stopping them from firing. Adding the rim solved both these issues.[5]"

More information at:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Auto_Rim
    Last edited by mdhillbilly1; 09-23-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Banned

some auto rim dies are going to come with a roll crimp die vs a taper crimp acp crimping die.

Boolit Master

In the above picture, the .45 AR cartridge is on the left--the brass one. The .45 ACP cartridge is on the right--the nickel plated one. I load my .45 revolver with both the AR and ACP brass. I do not need to change the dies settings as except for the rim, they are the same dimensions. I use the same loads for both S&W 22-4 and 1911. I have had several 1917 S&W's and always loaded them down just a mite and I wasn't sure about the strength of the metal in them. I do not have to do that with the modern revolver. The dies are Redding and I have both a Taper crimp die and a Profile Crimp die. I crimp in a separate step. Works for me, james

Boolit Master

I too use the same set of reloading dies (RCBS) to load both the auto rim and the 45 acp. Shellholder is different of course. Revolver is the S&W 45 N frame 1955 Target model.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Man
    Thanks for pointing out my error I made the correction. They now show the .45 AUTO RIM /.45 ACP cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

I think the newer sets will even do the 45 GAP.

Boolit Master

I don't mean to disagree but:
    I purchased a used set of .45 AR dies ( advertised as 45ACP) over a year ago on this forum. Dies were RCBS, made in the 70's. No way I could even start a fired casing in the sizing die. I even pre-sized them using a Lee Classic 'pound them in' sizing sleeve. Still had too large of a case mouth OD to start into the 45AR sizing die. The seller said his father had used these dies to reload 45ACP & offered to refund my $$ if he couldn't get them to work.
    In the end I called RCBS. The tech I spoke to said back then their dies were cartridge specific, not one size fits all. According to specs, the neck Dia. of 45ACP is .473" and 45 AR is .4683". The .047" difference is why I couldn't get brass into sizing die. He suggested I mail the 45AR sizing die back to RCBS and they would send me one for a 45ACP. Good to his word in ten days I received a new 45 ACP Carbide sizing die free of charge.
    Have since purchased a new set of 45ACP dies and haven't experienced any more problems.
    Maybe the newer manufactured dies will size both cartridges, but the AR die I had wouldn't.

Boolit Man
    My Lee die paper work is labeled 45 ACP/45 AR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

My older (60s) RCBS 45 ACP seater will not roll crimp 45 AR cases.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I even use my 45 acp dies to load my 45 Winchester magnum.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

I didn't know any .45 ACP dies would roll crimp. The only ones I have had experience with would only taper crimp or not crimp at all(lee). james