Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proud of my daughter!!!!!

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation Proud of my daughter!!!!!

My daughter is a senior in high school and the battalion commander of the JROTC at her high school . Today one of the cheerleaders showed up at school wearing a U.S. flag around her cheerleading skirt. My daughter asked the girl to remove it and explained why. To make long story short she was met with resistance. So she went to the office and explained the situation. To the schools credit, an announcement was made that this was not appropriate and would not be tolerated. The girl in question was made to remove the flag from around her waist.

Boolit Buddy
    Way to go. You brought her up right. You should be proud. :O)

In Remembrance
    You did a good job of instilling the values in Her. Congrats to you and her mother. If more parents took the time to teach their children right and wrong, this country wouldn't have near the problems.

Boolit Master

Sadly the cheerleader may have thought she was honoring the flag. Uneducated and stupid will not get you through life too well, sometimes pretty will.

Boolit Master

Good on you and Good for her!
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 09-23-2017 at 03:07 AM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all very much.

Boolit Master

Thank you!!!!
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    With no intention of offending anyone please explain to a non USA resident why it was regarded as unacceptable.Genuine question with no malice.

Vendor Sponsor

A National flag is to be respected .. worn partially obscured is a No No .. I have no issue personally if its a full flag representation on say the back or front of a T-shirt or jacket

The US Flag Code says, “The Flag Code addresses the impropriety of using the flag as an article of personal adornment, a design of items of temporary use, and item of clothing. The evident purpose of these suggested restraints is to limit the commercial or common usage of the flag, and, thus, maintain its dignity.”

So what does that mean? You should not use the American flag as an article of clothing. However, in 1976 an amendment was made that allowed uniforms for military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic groups to use a flag patch or pin near the left side, closer the heart.
    But it is important to remember that the Flag Code is only intended as a guideline to be followed on a voluntary basis. The Code was originally created to ensure proper respect of our flag.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

The use of bunting (Red, White , and Blue stripes and stars) as patriotic decoration goes back many years. It was a means of highlighting patriotic events without using the flag as a decorative item. Use of these elements for clothing or decor is acceptable, the cutting up/refabrication of the flag to accomplish a clothing, decorative item is not acceptable.

Some history on Flag desecration/display:

1897 – Illinois, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota adopt flag desecration laws. By 1932, all states would have them. In general, these laws ban placing any kind of marking on the flag, using it in any form of advertising, and defacing or mutilating it in any way.
    1907 – The Supreme Court upholds state flag desecration laws against legal challenges.
    1942 – President Roosevelt approves a federal code that outlines how the flag should be properly treated.

Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that invalidated prohibitions on desecrating the American flag enforced in 48 of the 50 states. Justice William Brennan wrote for a five-justice majority in holding that the defendant Gregory Lee Johnson's act of flag burning was protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Johnson was represented by attorneys David D. Cole and William Kunstler.

Interesting how it took the Supreme Court over 200 years to decide that desecrating a US Flag was an acceptable action.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I've heard people over the years say that the hippie movement was actually patriotic; they must have been because you always see photos with flag patches in their jeans and such. It's surprising that so many people don't realize that that is actually a huge insult, intended to show their disrespect and hatred of the flag and all it represents.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Biggin,

Double kudos, how good it is to hear the HS JROTC is not extinct yet!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Good for you. You raised her right. The flag is not just a representation of our country. It signifies all who have fought and died for our freedoms and stands as a beacon for Freedom the world over.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I teach JROTC for a living so it's nice to see others recognize some of the good it does. In fact, I spent all day today with a big group doing some community service today. Good for your daughter.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Don't know your daughter but I can tell you that "Dad" is not the only one proud of her!

The question form the member from England is a legitimate one and it was answered well.

You know, as a member of the Viet Nam generation - I well remember those who sewed the flag to their pants - usually on the back side - and I can remember a few of them getting their back side"whooped" because of it. Respect for our flag used to be a part of our education - but then so was the Pledge of Allegiance being said the first thing every morning, a flag in every classroom (usually furnished by the local American Legion or VFW) and a prayer. All things "removed" by the Left over the years. It's kind of odd though - I don't ever remember anybody being "offended" by those things in those days. Sure, we had one or two whose religion didn't allow them to do such things but they were respected for their beliefs and nothing was said - that's how it was in those days - you had "RESPECT" for others. And those kids who stood up every morning and put their hands over their hearts and said the Pledge? The same ones who bowed their heads in respect as the morning prayer was said before the beginning of the day? (In a PUBLIC school no less). Well, ovey time I put my hand over my heart and pay respect to the National Colors when I say the Pledge, or it goes by me in a parade, or when I hear the National Anthem and sing along with it? I get a tear in my eye and an ache in my heart for those early childhood friends of mine who gave their lives for our flag or who came hoe disabled because of their service - to me, that is what the red stripes in our flag represent.

So Kudos to you daughter sir - you brought her up right!

Banned

In the public high school I teach at, the pledge is said every morning and kids take it seriously, not just the JROTC cadets. I've been out in the hall while it was being recited on the intercom and kids in the hall stop what they're doing, face the nearest flag and recite it.

In my class, we say it every class period followed by the cadet creed. I understand we are in a small GI town in a patriotic part of the world, but the point is not all public schools are the dens of leftists some seem to think they are, even today.

Boolit Buddy
    I want thanks everyone again for the replies. I also thank the members who explained it to the member from England. I actually have 2 daughters on JROTC now and couldn't be prouder. As my daughter likes to say"Those who disrespect our flag have probably have never had a relative come home under one."

Moderator Emeritus

I know you are as proud of your daughter as we are for dealing with an inappropriate display of Old Glory! Thank her and give her a hug for me/us!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I'm so glad to hear all these good responses - it's aways sorta irked me a tad to see the flag used as clothing...... even thought so many folks these days think they're being patriotic. Dad, you did a good job.

Banned
    Biggin,

CONGRADS to your daughter & to you & your wife for raising her RIGHT.

yours, tex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast