Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: How to Save a Tree With Its Bark Stripped

How to Save a Tree With Its Bark Stripped

So I have an umbrella willow tree in my back yard that the bark was stripped off of by the puppies while I was at work. At first I just thought that the tree would die back and come up from the roots, however it's been over a month and not only is the tree still green it growing!

So my question to you all is, is there anyway to save this tree through the winter freeze? I thought maybe some news paper and seran wrap to keep the frost off of the exposed wood until it could scar itself back up?

Let me know your thoughts, I've been babying this tree for 5 years trying to get some shade in my back yard and it was finally starting to cast some, it would be a shame to start over.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Grand Master

we had a paint sealant we used when trimming trees to protect the fresh edges from exposure and bleeding. Stop in at a nursery and talk to them about it.

Use a tree wrap, it has an asphalt like center between 2 paper layers and helps protect young trees from winter weather. Nursery or Big Box junk store (Home Despot sic.) should have it. Just be sure to not wrap it too tight and use duct tape to keep it on, not a stapler like some do. Start about 3 inches above the dirt and wrap with a 1/2 inch overlap or so from bottom up till you cover to the bottom most limb or 3 inches over the area you want to protect. This is so water will runoff and not get under the layers of wrap. You'll probably want to take it off about the last freeze or when the leaves start to bud out. It won't hurt to leave it on during warm weather if you still want protection for the trunk.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

willow's are pretty resillient. id almost bet with doing absolutely nothing, it'll live.

Boolit Master

Hope it's not planted anywhere near your sewer pipes. Roots will seek out the pipes, get into the joints and really tear em up. Willow is hard to kill. They will break up and blow over in a stiff wind storm. Don't want one anywhere near my house.

Moderator Emeritus

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd bet it will not make it.
    Now, I don't know much about willows? but I do know friut trees, and the loss of bark around the base, near or completely and well into the sap wood is a death sentence. It may take til middle of next spring to die completely, when the tree really needs the sap to travel.

I've attempted to try and save a few, a few different young apple trees with rabbit damage and a birch with an unknown damage (neighbor kids?) ...anyway, no luck saving any of them. But, I'd still give it a try, if I were you, I'd try applying Tree Tanglefoot insect Barrier to the damaged area, but start planning now for a potential replacement.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks guys I guess I forgot to mention that there is no bark from the ground all the way up to the first branches which is about 5 feet off the ground.

I have noticed a light green patching on the wood which looks like the bark is trying to grow back. I have just been suprised that the tree survived the first round

I figure I have to wrap with something and that tree wrap is intriguing pending more responses I will keep you updated we are expecting our first freeze sunday.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Grand Master

It is the cambium layer under the bark that is necessary. If this is broken all around the tree the tree is gone. If it isn't follow Minerat's advice. The bark is a protective cover for the cambium. The tree wrap does the same thing.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    A willow tree is like a big weed. You can rip off a branc6,stick it in the ground and it will grow into a tree. If u cut it into chunks , the chunks will sprout branches.i don't know if your tree is some sort of fancy bread tree or a regular run of the mill wild version

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    It is the cambium layer under the bark that is necessary. If this is broken all around the tree the tree is gone. If it isn't follow Minerat's advice. The bark is a protective cover for the cambium. The tree wrap does the same thing.
    This is true. Your puppies did superficial damage or it would already be gone. In Arizona your winter may be mild enough to not finish the job.

Boolit Grand Master

If it has enough water leave it. You might be surprised at how resilient it is
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    If it has enough water leave it. You might be surprised at how resilient it is
    This was my plan, it seems to be scaring back over with a thin layer of bark, I have seen willows come back from the roots and grow better than the original. I guess I am just a little worried because our first freeze is supposed to be tomorrow night.

Even though Arizona has typically mild winters I have seen it get as low as minus 28 here and stay between there and about 10 for a couple of weeks. I hope it works out.

This tree was almost big enough for the kids to climb on and that was the whole point, a rope swing and a shady spot for the afternoon. I will keep you updated if I do cover it with something.

Boolit Master
    Puppies chewed the bark 5 ft above ground? Are these climbing puppies or just BIG!?? I've got a puppy that just LOVES chewing wood..... and chicken poop!

I guess they got ahold of the bottom and pulled backwards I found a lot of strips about 2-3 inches wide around the base when I got home, in hind sight I should have fenced them out but the bark was mature so I didn't.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hopefully it will live. Wrap it with wrap and wait and see what happens. I had a beautiful silver maple in my yard (we had a large yard on the back side of the farm). The tree was probably about six to eight inches intimater, I had kept it trimmed and shaped and was so proud of it - then one night a %^$% buck came in during the night and used it for a "rub". It was a mess and looked like it had been shredded for about two feet - I sprayed it with trimming sealer and thought it was a goner for sure but evidently there was enough left intact that it carried it through. When we sold the house this summer, it was still going strong and about a foot in diameter now.

Boolit Master

My sarcastic side can take it no longer, please forgive me.

Just hug the tree 3 times a day and tell it you love it once a day.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Water it to help it. I use old fashioned roof tar on limb ends and other wooops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    My sarcastic side can take it no longer, please forgive me.

Just hug the tree 3 times a day and tell it you love it once a day.
    I have already done this but I don't know if it's enough.... love cannot conquer all, I fear.

I did order some paint called tree wound and some vynl wrap I'm going to try it and see how it helps.