RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ssp 250

Boolit Master

Ssp 250

I got one of these recently. Lucked out on finding a NOS display model from an out of business gun shop.

Wasn't very pleased with the performance at first but after around 75 rounds everything got properly broken in, mainly old packing grease in the innards slowing down the hammer fall I expect.

Now its hitting some where over 500 FPS with the 7.7 gr Beeman wadcutter, and putting them in the same hole when I do my job right.
    Got it sighted in perfectly. Now I aim at the first pellet hole in a white bullseye and stack em up one after the other at 20 yards.

These guns are very different from most of crosman's pistols. Instead of a bolt it uses a swinging loading gate with flexible chamber seal.
    Barrel liners can be exchanged along with substitute chamber seals for .177(4.5mm), .22(5.5mm), and .20 (5mm).
    Unfortunately mine came only with the .177 barrel liner and seal. I have found a source for spare loading gates with .22 breech seals, and the barrel liners look to be very simple to turn down from standard Crosman air pistol barrels.
    The OEM .20 liners were made from Brass and not easy to find.

This model is all metal other than the sights and pistol grip panels. The cast metal breech has grooves for mounting a scope.

Factory specs for the .177 at full power is 560 FPS.
    A pistol converted to .22 chronoed at 525 FPS. That's smoking for a CO2 pistol.

Despite some external similarities the internals are not related to those of the .22 2240.

I'll add an image once I figure out how to upload one from my PC.

Looking forward to the pics. Sounds like a neat airgun with the bbl. swapping ability, but one that i'm not familiar with.
    Sounds like the one you have in .177 is super accurate too.

Boolit Master
    The barrel change method is unusual. Theres a barrel jacket that the hooded front sight is mounted onto. apparently you just loosen the front sight screw and slide the barrel liner out to replace it with another.

The flexible Chamber/seal can be removed and replaced with one of the proper ID for the barrel you wish to use.

I'll order a spare loading gate regardless of whether I decide to buy or make a .22 barrel liner. The gate looks like it could be prone to damage.
    I've seen a post on another board about aftermarket milled steel loading gates for these but the link to these was dead.

Its a simple looking piece I could fabricate from aluminum if necessary.

There's a plastic fore end as well as the grip panels. Mine has an unusual copper metallic tone stock set.

Multigunner,

Not trying to drift your thread, but i see you shoot a lot of co2. I don't own a co2 gun at this time, but have read they don't perform well when the temps drop.
    I was just wondering if a guy was attempting hunting in cool or cold weather with a co2 pistol, if carrying it under a jacket next to your body would solve that issue? At least for a shot or 2 while hunting, and then, back under the jacket till the next shot presents itself?

Of course where i live, we have lots of warmish days even in the middle of winter.

Boolit Master
    "I was just wondering if a guy was attempting hunting in cool or cold weather with a co2 pistol, if carrying it under a jacket next to your body would solve that issue? At least for a shot or 2 while hunting, and then, back under the jacket till the next shot presents itself?"

Pretty sure that would work especially if a chemical hand warmer were carried in an inside pocket near the pistol.

A member of another board developed a battery powered warmer that fits inside the grips of his Vigilante revolver. It keeps the CO2 cylinder at a constant temperature. I believe he lives in a very cold climate.

Another fix is carrying the pistol in a shoe box with a hand warmer inside.

Caution that you don't over heat the gun. Temps over 120 degrees can cause valves to explode.
    I've seen photos of a Daisy 44 left on the hood of a truck in the sun too long, the destruction was impressive.

Okay, Thanks Multigunner,
    I thought that might work, at least for hunting where only occasional shots are being taken.

Those chrony nos. you posted are pretty impressive indeed for a co2 pistol.

Boolit Master
    Bumping to add a few things.

When shooting on a very warm sunny day I left the SSP sitting on a table in direct sunlight while sighting in another gun. When I came back to it the metal was almost too hot to touch. When I tried firing it nothing happened. I at first thought the pressure had built up and blown a seal but after leaving the gun in an airconditioned room for a couple of hours it started working again.

The excessive heat had caused pressure to build up so high the hammer fall could not move the valve at all.
    A few more minutes left in the sun and permanent damage might have occurred.

I went ahead and ordered a spare loading gate and breech seal for .22 pellets. I already have a spare .22 Crosman barrel I can cut and turn to fit.
    Baker Airguns had the spare gates and seals, only in .22, no other calibers.

Glad you found a conversion for it. It sounds like a really fun air gun.