WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Davenport, Iowa

Banned

Free state range north of Dav north of Princeton. Look up Lost grove lake it is new about 4 years ago and has a tremendous amount of crappie in it if you like to fish. Or if you like to catfish i am your man. R&R sports will be your best bet(cheap) for reloading supplies for what he carries. Their is a brand new Dicks/Field and stream store that has everything you will ever need for outdoors. R+R has a excellent indoor archery range and a good selection of guns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Big problem with gangs in Davenport moving south from Chicago.
    Coldest night I spent on the road was in Iowa. -46 or something like that. Had to park the truck with the tail to the wind and jack up the rpm's so it would blow warm air. Sat next to the window in the truckstop for dinner and had to wear a jacket it was so cold
    It never has hit -46 maybe -30 at the most. The cheaply constructed diners all have the ability to freeze you if you sit next to the windows. Gangs...
    we have what is called "little Chicago" a few miles from where I live. You absolutely don't want to go thru the area without a firearm and the same thing is true in Cedar Rapids certain areas where you shouldn't go. Anymore the low rent facilities advertise in Chicago to bring in the trash to occupy the funded dwellings.

Boolit Master

Looks like stepping out on f town is the way to go. Do not appreciate the idea of gangs etc. I like the quite life... Thanks for all the tips and recommendations.
    的 won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Wrong side of the state. Grew up in the west of Iowa, now live in South Dakota. Don't know much about the eastern Iowa except that they think they run the state, much like Sioux Falls does in South Dakota. There is shooting opportunities almost anywhere. Gun stores Don't know about them. All I can say is welcome.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    It never has hit -46 maybe -30 at the most. The cheaply constructed diners all have the ability to freeze you if you sit next to the windows. .
    I lived 8 miles down the road from the town that advertised itself as the coldest spot in Iowa. It got -46 one night in Jan a long time ago. So it does get cold there, but not to often.
    Rob

Banned

I have seen -42 but don't remember which town it was in. You don't have to worry about the "GANGS" if you are white. They kill their own pretty good. I drive all over the QC area all the time. Don't bother me one bit to drive in the bad areas. Just don't piss anyone off!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know anything about Iowa but I wish you Luck in your move and new job.

Banned
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/dmx/Co...ak-Jan2014.pdf

Unless you were in Iowa in 1912 you didn't come close to seeing -47 degrees unless it was Elkader in 96 which is a far away from Davenport, Moline, and Bettendorf. Its a freek think when it gets that cold and it doesn't happen very often maybe once in a lifetime.

Good luck on your move
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 09-27-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Boolit Master

Moving from NH, cold weather doesn't scare me as such. Not a fan of gangs obviosuly but have lived in Queens NYC. Was raised a country boy in Ocala National Forest area and that is what I like best. Obvious quads isn't going to give me that but maybe a bit outside of town with a commute will?...

Thanks for the welcomes and tips.

Kev
    的 won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Whoo are you going to be working for?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Some of us Iowa and Illinois folks need to get together sometime for a shoot or a picnic just to get to know one another.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 09-28-2017 at 07:18 AM.

Banned
    I realize I was hard on you but it takes a lot of guts to uproot and move a distance like that and start fresh again. My hat is off to you sir.

Boolit Master

I realize I was hard on you but it takes a lot of guts to uproot and move a distance like that and start fresh again. My hat is off to you sir.
    Thanks for the good sentiment. I have uprooted and moved to Japan, NYC, NH, Manila etc. in my life - mostly from Florida each time. Looking to settle down and stop packing! Moving these guns is a pain as well. The moving company wants nothing to do with firearms (i did not mention mine but not going to hide them among the cargo either). Plan to rent a 4x8 uhaul and pull them behind my suv. When your collection reaches a certain point (cough) it becomes a job in itself to move them from one place to another.

A manufacturing company that makes fillers for food and aerosol industries. I am the new manufacturing manager.

I have never set foot in Iowa, but I do wish you great success in your new job and happiness in your new home.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Some of us Iowa and Illinois folks need to get together sometime for a shoot or a picnic just to get to know one another.
    Count me in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have never set foot in Iowa, but I do wish you great success in your new job and happiness in your new home.
    Much appreciated. Was trying to get back south but it seems westward is my path.

Boolit Grand Master

It never has hit -46 maybe -30 at the most. The cheaply constructed diners all have the ability to freeze you if you sit next to the windows. Gangs...
    we have what is called "little Chicago" a few miles from where I live. You absolutely don't want to go thru the area without a firearm and the same thing is true in Cedar Rapids certain areas where you shouldn't go. Anymore the low rent facilities advertise in Chicago to bring in the trash to occupy the funded dwellings.
    No, I remember it clearly and it was a T/A with those giant glass windows.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-iowa/4352579/

Not that year of course but I looked it up online when I was there. 2005, 2006? Somewhere right about in there I think. I remember thinking something along the lines of "it figures".
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Moving from NH, cold weather doesn't scare me as such. Not a fan of gangs obviosuly but have lived in Queens NYC. Was raised a country boy in Ocala National Forest area and that is what I like best. Obvious quads isn't going to give me that but maybe a bit outside of town with a commute will?...

Thanks for the welcomes and tips.

Kev
    Growing up on the Quebec Border in Northern VT it didn't especially bother me that much other than jumping out of the truck in a flannel shirt and thinking "dang, better get a coat". It was pretty darn cold even for me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Well I guess I will find out first hand soon enough...lol! Spent the night in a town west of Buffalo last night and should be in Iowa this evening. Moving and packing a lot of guns/equipement can be a real endeavor btw. Rented a UHaul 4x8 to pull behind my SUV as didn't trust the moving company to handle the firearms. Slept with one eye open and the car next to my hotel door...

Time to grab a Denny's grand slam and this young man will "go west".

Banned
    I can understand sleeping with one open eye. I will retire this spring and we are waiting for when my mother in law passes in order to make our move to Arizona. The gun moving this has prompted some discussion already. Thinking about purchasing a motorhome and if we do it will make moving the guns and gun related equipment easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12