Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Davenport, Iowa

Boolit Master

Moving to Davenport, Iowa

Looks like I am accepting a job in Davenport Iowa and turning down an opportunity in York, PA. Was a hard choice to make as was moving from NH which I have enjoyed living in during the last three years. Was laid off along with most of the employees a couple months back due to investment company moving manufacturing south. No complaints and happy to have plenty of choices available in this strong job market.

Anyway, what can anyone tell me about Davenport/Quad city area? Shooting ranges (rifle and pistol - outside), hunting in Iowa, life in general. Will be moving out with my fiance in a couple weeks and she will continue her RN classes there. Have talked and searched the net but looking to listen to people who have or are living there.

Thanks for any and all insights,
    Kev
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-22-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

Grew up a little ways to the north of that general area but not terribly familiar with Davenport/Bettendorf, per se. Only solid advice I can offer is to be sure your driver's license address in on the Iowa side of the Mississippi...Iowa may be something of a 'blue state' but you want absolutely nothing to do with the broke-d**k State of Illinois!!

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Illinois sucks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    Moved out of Illinois over 30 yrs ago and never been back since.

Boolit Master

No intention of moving to south side of the river and into IL. Same reason I worked in MA, refused to live there, and commuted from NH.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-22-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    I've kind of lost track of the Quad Cities when I retired. Before that I was there every week. In the old days the Schuetzen club was the oldest and biggest in the USA. Square Shooters was one of the best gun stores I ever set foot in when they were on State St but they are gone. The Davenport Shooting Association is located near Princeton. When the Schuetzen club re-organized it was renamed Davenport Shooting Association. Sprinkling of small ranges in the area. If you're a deer hunter this state is over run and the coyote hunting is (last I knew) very good around Donahue. Welcome to Iowa. My wife attended nursing college in Davenport. The years disappeared like minutes in retrospect. Looking back I enjoyed the town more in pre-gambling days.

Banned
    Ya welcome to Iowa the butt hole of the United States.

CEDAR Rapids and Hiawatha have some nice indoor ranges. Central City has the Linn Fish and Game Club that costs $50 a year and well worth it because you won't get your head shot off like the public/free ranges.

Ya, welcome to Iowa where taxes reign high the food sucks, women look like something of a cross breed and you can count on that sweet smell of the poop processing plant when the wind is out of the right direction.

Seriously we do have sliced bread now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post

CEDAR Rapids and Hiawatha have some nice indoor ranges. Central City has the Linn Fish and Game Club that costs $50 a year and well worth it because you won't get your head shot off like the public/free ranges.

Ya, welcome to Iowa where taxes reign high the food sucks, women look like something of a cross breed and you can count on that sweet smell of the poop processing plant when the wind is out of the right direction.

Come on, tell me what you really think, lol. I will probably regret leaving NH but that us where the opportunity is... Central City looks a bit far for a range from Davenport, hopefully some closer. As for taxes at least I will no longer be paying the 5 percent for working in Mass. Hated to contribute to it.

Make sure you visit the museum at Rock Island arsenal. Well.worth the effort.

Vendor Sponsor

women look like something of a cross breed
    come now THEIR corn fed !!
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Wow.

Reminds me of a tale I've heard a time or 3.

It's more elaborate than this, but the jist of it is, an old fellow was sitting on his porch when a family drove up and said they were thinking of moving to the town and proceeded to rattle off a long list of complaints about everything from food, entertainment, neighbors, etc.
    The old fellow advised them things would.be no better for them if they moved.
    Soon after, another family happened by and posed the same question, and proceeded to list all the things they liked about where they had been living, how much they would miss it, and expressed hope they would be as happy following the necessary move.
    The old fellow advised them things would be just as nice once they moved.

I trust the same will be true for the OP.

I'll second the suggestion for the Rock Island Armory Museum, lots of very cool and rare items there.

While I am about 2.5 hours away from the Quad Cities, I have always heard good things about the Milan Rifle Club in Milan, IL.

The Rock Island auctions are also there too.

Good luck with the move!

Boolit Master

Never lived in Iowa but have travel a fair bit through there and it is rather boring. Hope you find it enjoyable and prosperous.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pincherpartner View Post
    I'll second the suggestion for the Rock Island Armory Museum, lots of very cool and rare items there.

While I am about 2.5 hours away from the Quad Cities, I have always heard good things about the Milan Rifle Club in Milan, IL.

The Rock Island auctions are also there too.

Good luck with the move!
    Thanks for the heads up on the Milan club. Looked at their website and has promise indeed.

Banned
    Blue Grass has a range 6 miles from Davenport on the Iowa side. Would look for housing away from the Quad Cities as well

In Iowa we do not normal count the time to get where you go by miles but time. I have move from MA to IA back in 95 for good and glad i did.Here is a link for the Iowa DNR is that it is call here.
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/
    It have all you want to know about hunting and fishing and trapping. I live where there is all farms around me. In the northeast part of the state.Do not live in the major cities.it is high cost.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    I am about 35 miles southwest of Davenport. If you want we can arrange a phone call to talk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Come on, tell me what you really think, lol. I will probably regret leaving NH but that us where the opportunity is... Central City looks a bit far for a range from Davenport, hopefully some closer. As for taxes at least I will no longer be paying the 5 percent for working in Mass. Hated to contribute to it.
    Dude... got to give you a bad time. Its not as bad as I mentioned................its worse.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    Blue Grass has a range 6 miles from Davenport on the Iowa side. Would look for housing away from the Quad Cities as well
    If you can get out of Scott County it will help on taxes and expense. Muscatine or Cedar County, drive in on HWY 6.

Boolit Grand Master

Big problem with gangs in Davenport moving south from Chicago.
    Coldest night I spent on the road was in Iowa. -46 or something like that. Had to park the truck with the tail to the wind and jack up the rpm's so it would blow warm air. Sat next to the window in the truckstop for dinner and had to wear a jacket it was so cold
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast