RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite meatloaf

Boolit Grand Master

Favorite meatloaf

Nothing fancy , just my favorite , easy to assemble and fast to cook . This is the one dish I actually prefer being cooked in the microwave. Normally I prefer the oven, grill or smoker. But if you get home from work, are short on time and have a urge for meatloaf, this recipe will fill the bill.
    Prep. time is 25 min., cooking time 15 min. , stand time 15 min.
    From start to finish its 55 minutes...that's pretty quick .

Ingredients
    1- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1- teaspoon prepared mustard
    2 eggs ,lightly beaten
    1 medium onion , minced
    1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
    1/2 cup cracker crumbs
    2 pounds lean ground beef
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    ( in place of salt and pepper I use 2 teaspoons of Cajun/Creole spice )

Directions
    1. In a small bowl mix the tomato sauce, brown sugar and mustard, stir well, set aside.
    2. In a large mixing bowl crumble in the ground beef and add the cracker crumbs, beaten eggs, onion, bell pepper, salt , pepper , garlic powder and 1/2 cup of tomato sauce mixture.
    Mix everything up, by hand , until well blended,
    3. Place the meat into a microwaveable dish, 9 inch microware ring mold, microwave safe glass ring mold or 2 quart round microwave safe casserole dish.
    4. Spread the remaining tomato sauce mix evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
    5. Cook in microwave oven, on high, 12 to 15 minutes (time varies with wattage).
    Check internal temperature with instant read thermometer, 160 to 165 , and let stand covered 10 to 15 minutes.

It's better the next day and makes great sandwiches .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Comfort food! I love it when I put it on the Traeger smoker

Try it some time with fresh ground pork, same recipe. You will be amazed

Banned
    gwpercle,

Sounds YUM to me.

yours, tex

i never considered cooking meat loaf in the smoker. Thanks for that tip.

I don't like bread in my meat loaf, so I use rice and I mix red meats.
    One pound of ground lamb.
    One pound of ground beef.
    One volume of cooked rice that takes up the same space as a pound of ground meat.
    One fist sized onion.
    One egg, or two. I don't know that it matters.
    Some salt,some pepper, some ground grains of paradise spice.
    I mix it really well in the KitchenAid mixer. Bake in a bread pan. Cook however you like for meat loaf.

Boolit Master
    Sounds good but I'm not a fan of microwaved foods so I'll go for the oven or smoker. I do use mixed pork and beef for my meatballs never thought about doing the same for meatloaf it is an intriguing idea. I use bread soaked in beef broth or oatmeal in mine, just depends on what I have on hand. My moms secret was putting cheddar and green olives in the middle my wife can't stand em but I love it! Bacon on top never hurts either. I also pack a lot of veggies in mine to sneak them in the ol' diet. Sauteed carrots, onions, and celery cooled and mixed in with the rest.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    DerekP Houston,

Fwiw, my mother used to put pureed vegetables into her meatloaf to get us to eat them.
    (Btw, I find oatmeal to be better than breadcrumbs in meatloaf.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Smoked meatloaf is amazing, been doing it that way for a long time.

Moderator Emeritus

I use oatmeal but I buzz it in the coffee mill until it is a flour consistency. Makes the most moist meatloaf I have ever had. Another key is only work it enough to mix it, over working meatloaf or meatballs can make them tough!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Sounds good but I'm not a fan of microwaved foods so I'll go for the oven or smoker. I do use mixed pork and beef for my meatballs never thought about doing the same for meatloaf it is an intriguing idea. I use bread soaked in beef broth or oatmeal in mine, just depends on what I have on hand. My moms secret was putting cheddar and green olives in the middle my wife can't stand em but I love it! Bacon on top never hurts either. I also pack a lot of veggies in mine to sneak them in the ol' diet. Sauteed carrots, onions, and celery cooled and mixed in with the rest.
    I am not normally a fan either, but this one recipe is the exception. I think the sugar attracts the heat and gives the top a nice browning. But this recipe and popcorn are the only things I will cook in a microwave.
    Smoker and oven cooking is better, but if you are tired after work it's very quick and pretty darn good tasting.
    Thawing out frozen foods with the Microwave is OK but that's not really cooking.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I always liked meatloaf but once we started doing it in the smoker thats the only way we eat it now. The wife makes smaller personal sized portions so its only an hour to 1 1/2.

We use oatmeal also only we don't grind it first. Putting it in the smoker sounds good!

Boolit Master
    Mrs. smokeywolf cuts in 1/3 ground pork; 2 lbs. grnd beef and 1lb. grnd pork. She also adds a packet of onion soup/dip mix.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Mrs. smokeywolf cuts in 1/3 ground pork; 2 lbs. grnd beef and 1lb. grnd pork. She also adds a packet of onion soup/dip mix.
    Lipton's Dry Onion Soup mix + Meatloaf = Winner , winner chicken/meatloaf dinner !
    Good tip , beats a plain old chopped onion any day.
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Grate the raw onion on a fine grater. Gets way more onion flavor in the meatloaf. Do it directly in the mixing bowl to get all the good onion juice.

The hack for oatmeal in meatloaf or meatballs is using the quick or instant kinds. It saves you the precooking or grinding and gives a lighter texture more like breadcrumbs.

They, though, make awful oatmeal so keep the carton of quick for add-ins like this; and keep using steel-cut for breakfast.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I use oatmeal but I buzz it in the coffee mill until it is a flour consistency. Makes the most moist meatloaf I have ever had. Another key is only work it enough to mix it, over working meatloaf or meatballs can make them tough!
    How much oatmeal would you use for this recipe?

Moderator Emeritus

to a pound of ground meat I use a cup of oatmeal(basically fill my spice grinder(small coffee grinder) that I turn to a fluffy coarse flour consistency. While that is grind I also toss in black peppercorns instead of using the hand mill... I like a LOT of black pepper so hand grinding takes to long!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    to a pound of ground meat I use a cup of oatmeal(basically fill my spice grinder(small coffee grinder) that I turn to a fluffy coarse flour consistency. While that is grind I also toss in black peppercorns instead of using the hand mill... I like a LOT of black pepper so hand grinding takes to long!
    sounds like a good trick, I use the grinder to make coarse ground pepper too! My best bbq to date was just a ton of coarse ground pepper and high quality salt. I like the idea of grating the onions too would get more evenly mixed. Looking forward to getting back home this week so I can make a meatloaf now. Restaurants have been fun for the past few months but I'm starting to miss home cooked meals =/.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    The last meatloaf we had was smoked it was great!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast