RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally scratched my .35 Remington itch!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Putting a scope on a Marlin is sacrilege.
    I have to agree, but eyes do get old and I have a 308 MX that I will probably scope at some point, may even scope the stainless 45/70 at some point too.

I did a stupid thing a couple years back. I had reciever sights on my Marlins, 30/30, 44 & 45/70.
    Ohio annouced the limited rifle season and I took off the sights and mounted scopes. These rifles
    we're nothing to complain about scoped. First morning in the woods after watching a couple does
    I realized the rifle didn't feel right, it was the scope. After first season I put the Lymans back on.
    At the ranges deer are shot in this area I didn't need the scope, in combination with practical
    range of the cartridges. I have shot the 1895- 45/70 for years with the 66 and have become use
    to the peeps. Unless your eyes cause you to need optics I would fly with a reciever sight.

I don't own a Marlin 35 right now, I sold mine thinning out my 35 stash. I have Rem 14-141-8 & 81 in 35 and have deer hunted them since I was a kid. The 8 was my 1st deer rifle. When I was
    young I had mental block on RN bullets. Elders showed me the error of my ways. They were all
    shooting 200gr RN and had been for years. That's probably the reason when I got my 8 that I
    was given the 180 spitzers by several of the older guys in the crew. Over the years I found that
    the Rem autos, pumps and Marlin 336s all did better with RN. I never felt the need to go bigger
    than 200gr, they were killing deer fine.

Vendor Sponsor

not when you have old eyes and want to hit a deer in the heart and not the shoulder or guts
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the OP koger and I bought similar rifles. Bought a 336 in 35 Rem earlier this year (haven't had a chance to work with it much) and went to todays gunshow looking for a 30/30. No neat 30/30's but what I ended up with was a 1951 "Waffletop" 336SC in 35 Remington. Rifle shows a bit of wear and neglect, including the broken buttplate and a couple of buggered screw heads. The bore looks excellent and it fed and ejected dummy rounds without a hitch. Hope to get a chance to shoot it soon. Price was $360 and the guy wouldn't budge five bucks off that!!

Boolit Master
    Not to get off topic, but when I was younger I worked with an older gent that had a Marlin rc 35, he said he purchased it new in the 50's. I had the pleasure of hunting with him once, and that rifle looked like it won the west, and had been in every battle since the war of independence, he didn't take care of it to say the least. But he did know how to use it, and as I recall he preferred the Rem 200 cl's. The last time we talked he was having light hammer strikes, I'm sure it was due to the use of wd-40, he used it on everything!

Boolit Master
    I got the itch for .35Rem. I did it with a small ring mauser, one of those rifle barrels from Midway, and chopped down the milsurp stock, put on XS Ghost ring rear sight, chopped down barrel to 20".

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    not when you have old eyes and want to hit a deer in the heart and not the shoulder or guts
    Every center rifle I shoot wears a scope,so that would be a Marlin or Henry. Absolutely what Smoke said, If ya can't see it , ya can't hit it. Mine have been scoped for more than 20 years. I even had see thru's back in the day and loved them. Still like high mounts as of today. It works for me.

Scoping a top eject Winchester is sacrelige for sure.
    Anyway enjoy that Marlin; pics or it didn't happen!

Boolit Master
    I can send pics to a email or smart phone if anyone could post them?

Boolit Buddy
    I have exactly zero experience with the .35 Remington round, but after much reading, and enabling from my brother, I just pulled the trigger on a new Marlin 336C in .35Rem.

I know it's a Remlin/Marlington, but I also just bought a new 1895 in .45/70gvt that is a sweet rifle.
    It looks to me like Remington has either figured out their problem issues, or they've reverted to the older Marlin ways.
    Regardless, the 1895 is a well-built rifle and I'm hoping the 336 will be of similar quality.
    It should be delivered some time next week.
    I don't pay transfer fees, so after shipping, my cost will come in just barely under $500.

Looking forward to a bit of range time before deer season opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    I have exactly zero experience with the .35 Remington round, but after much reading, and enabling from my brother, I just pulled the trigger on a new Marlin 336C in .35Rem.

I know it's a Remlin/Marlington, but I also just bought a new 1895 in .45/70gvt that is a sweet rifle.
    It looks to me like Remington has either figured out their problem issues, or they've reverted to the older Marlin ways.
    Regardless, the 1895 is a well-built rifle and I'm hoping the 336 will be of similar quality.
    It should be delivered some time next week.
    I don't pay transfer fees, so after shipping, my cost will come in just barely under $500.

Looking forward to a bit of range time before deer season opens.
    Best of luck, hope it is a good one.

I have very good results with a 200 grain flat nose over IMR 4198. My sweet spot is from 24 to 24.5 grs.

Here is Koger's new 336SC. Let's pray he's out and about soon to hunt the Kentucky woods!
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Koger- we have the same bench decorator!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting my pics. My shop at home is always in the middle of working on bows, guns,or loading or casting. I usually keep things more orderly, been hunting with my bows, getting my winter garden laid by, and finishing a bunch of far chores that had to be done befor my hip replacement surgery a week ago today, total hip. They had me walking 2 hours out of recovery room. Today I did 2 hours of therapy, walked two laps around ground floor of hospital on s walker at a normal pace! Doc's can't believe it, Mr neither surgery pain is a 10th of befor pain, may go home Friday evening!!! God has blessed again!

Koger; I was on crutches for 10 months once so I appreciate my legs so much since then. Don't hurry your rehab and you'll bounce back strong. BTW you can make a shooting rest out of that walker!

Boolit Bub
    Koger I have been their an done that told the therapist it hard to hit a moving target. I had plans an laying around wasn't one of them. Just don't over do it . Any how back to the 35 I didn't have one in the stable an I was at my lgs the other night an saw one in the back. So Monday I went back an a 336 rc 35 just happen to follow me home. Darnest thing ever .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Koger- we have the same bench decorator!

Damn it TBG, you had better quit making me laugh so much, I choked on my coffee!! Apparently that bench decorator gets around!!

Boolit Master
    SAAMI pressure specs on the 35 Rem are 33,500 CPU due to the old Remington Model 8 Autoloader. Very careful workup of '+P' loads adds utility for heavier game and longer ranges than eastern whitetail. Marlin 336 handles 40000-44000. I have three Marlin 35's just because, always a good practical rifle to have along, lighter and handier than a .348, more effective on heavy stuff than a 94 Win. All those 38 Special/357 bullets along with the 35's. The RCBS/NOE clone 200 flatnose might be best cast bullet. Cut the lead back to the jacket and smooth the Nosler 225 for a flatnose 220 grain Partition at 2100-2200, crimping with a LEE Factory crimp. I keep a 35 Marlin with 200 grain Core-Lokts under the bed for things that go bump in the night, after all it is just a deer rifle, sir. WAAY out in the country.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got four .35 Remington rifles. A 1938 Remington 141, a 1963 Marlin 336SC, a 1979 Marlin 336C, and a limited run 7600 Remington pump I won on a gun club raffle ticket back in 2003. I only shoot mild reloads in the 141 due to it's age. Only cheese gets stronger with age! The two Marlins and the 7600 Remington shoot the identical load using the discontinued Alliant Reloder 12 powder and Remington 200 grain CLRN bullet. The 336SC does 2250 fps, the 336C does 2300 fps, and the longer 22" barreled 7600 does 2400 fps, all with the same load of RL-12 and the 200 grain RPCL. Accuracy using the RL-12 load is fantastic and deer just hate it.

358 Win

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    I've got four .35 Remington rifles. A 1938 Remington 141, a 1963 Marlin 336SC, a 1979 Marlin 336C, and a limited run 7600 Remington pump I won on a gun club raffle ticket back in 2003. I only shoot mild reloads in the 141 due to it's age. Only cheese gets stronger with age! The two Marlins and the 7600 Remington shoot the identical load using the discontinued Alliant Reloder 12 powder and Remington 200 grain CLRN bullet. The 336SC does 2250 fps, the 336C does 2300 fps, and the longer 22" barreled 7600 does 2400 fps, all with the same load of RL-12 and the 200 grain RPCL. Accuracy using the RL-12 load is fantastic and deer just hate it.

358 Win
    Hey Bob, good to see you still on the forum...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast