MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally scratched my .35 Remington itch!

Boolit Master

Finally scratched my .35 Remington itch!

Today I bought a 336SC, .35 Remington. It has a 2/3 magazine, walnut wood, tiny gold bead sight and matching rear sight, all original , when levering in a round, gun works so slick you cannot tell you are doing so. Shoots great feeds and ejects flawlessly, barrel is shiny as a new dime. Now for the downside. The gun is made between 1957-62 The Marlin Bullseye, is gone, and half Marlin buttplate is broken and gone, both easy fixes. I had eyed this rifle for a month, at local pawn shop, been there forever. Guy had some guns come out of pawn, that were not working right, the people who had pawned them had not put them back together correctly, and I fixed both at this bench for him. He knocked $100 off the price, letting me have the rifle for $400 out the door. I may have to take this to the deer woods here in KY this year!

Congrats...THe bullseye is the easiest fix, order one and cut it in half so you have a spare... Mine love the 200 gr flat points in cast, try some IMR 4198 in the 24 gr. range. I have very good accuracy with mine at that....

Boolit Master
    Lucky for you no one swooped it up. Last one I checked and procrastinated on over night went home under another's arm that same evening. But he paid dearly for the effort.> 675.00 plus 8% sales Tax.
    Not to bothered am I about loosing out. As I happen to have a 30-30 model 36 sc closed bolt grandma's rifle to soothe my broken heart. Nice reasonable price you paid there koger. A-yup

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! I had no real world need, just always wanted one to finish out my Marlin, pre 1984 collection.As a gunsmith, I have mounted scopes an zeroed them, all good quality glass and mounts, on around a dozen 336's in .35 Remington over the last 25 years. Everyone of them would shoot 3 shots, into 1", that is a postage stamp, I am not talking center to center 1", I mean all 3 shots inside a inch. Most of them preferred Federal 200gr RN, as told me by their owners, who knew what they were talking about. I know a guy who lives on the Tenn/KY border, who has killed a ton of good deer, and countless wild hogs with his. When I bear hunted up Norhern Maine on the Canadian border, the guides told me that when they were growing up, folks used 3 rounds, .303 Brit, 45/70, and .35 Rem., just about standard for everything in the north woods.

Growing up I was lucky enough to get to know two older guys who lived out on the edge of the woods. Off the grid we would say today. I never saw a year when those two guys did not get a young tender deer for eating. Both had lever guns in .35 Rem.

It took me some years to figure it out. Had to get away from that super fast stuff. Which don't work in the woods that well. Great for the grasslands though.

But in the woods a quick pointing, quick second shot .35 caliber with moderate speed is the cat's meow. It will do the job.

Enjoy yours.

Boolit Buddy
    I HATE MARLINS IN 35 REMINGTON!
    I hate them so much I have 5 ofbthem

Boolit Master
    Lee's copy of the RCBS 35 Rem bullet -- a 205 or 210 grainer -- is one of my favorites. And it is one of those they make in the 6-cavity: the only way to go!

Boolit Master

Yeeee Hawww
    Wonderful postings
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Today I bought a 336SC, .35 Remington. It has a 2/3 magazine, walnut wood, tiny gold bead sight and matching rear sight, all original , when levering in a round, gun works so slick you cannot tell you are doing so. Shoots great feeds and ejects flawlessly, barrel is shiny as a new dime. Now for the downside. The gun is made between 1957-62 The Marlin Bullseye, is gone, and half Marlin buttplate is broken and gone, both easy fixes. I had eyed this rifle for a month, at local pawn shop, been there forever. Guy had some guns come out of pawn, that were not working right, the people who had pawned them had not put them back together correctly, and I fixed both at this bench for him. He knocked $100 off the price, letting me have the rifle for $400 out the door. I may have to take this to the deer woods here in KY this year!
    Welcome to the fold....love that gun....got the same one.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I may have to take this to the deer woods here in KY this year!
    Congrats! I'm on my 3rd (he says shamelessly). They are just so nice and slick and the round is easy on the shoulder.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    I hate them so much I have 5 ofbthem
    Yea, I hear ya......

ps - Try the Speer 220-gr bullets too. Talk about a thumper in the short woods...
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

I had(sob) a 336 sc and the JC Higgins model 45 .35 Rem. I want both back!

In Remembrance
    I do not own one, however one has lived here for several years. lol A friend bought one and a 30/30 one evening and left them both here, he has never fired either one. lol

Boolit Grand Master

I have one. It likes long walks in the woods

Boolit Master
    I like those Skinner sights!!!

Boolit Master
    Man you got a good deal on that, you can get the bullseye from midway, there not hard to replace. I have wanted a SC in 35 for some years, but I have a 336c that serves me well. Those Marlins can be addictive, I bought a lot of them through the years, and now have more that I can enjoy!

Boolit Master
    When I ran my own gunshop/gunsmithing business, I had several come thru the doors, but was in it to make a living. I did a very brisk business, my mainstay work was accurizing bolt action rifles, tuning 1911's and revolvers, hot bluing, military grey Parkerizing, and general gunsmith work. I have always loved Marlin lever guns, but a few years back I saw the better, older Marlins getting scarce, and started a collection that I wanted, with pre 1984, no cross bolt safety. They include a 1895 45/70, 1894 .357 and .44 mag, 336 30/30x 2, Model 39 .22, and now the .35! Most of these older Marlins, with good steel bases and rings, good glass, will shoot MOA @ 100yds, with factory ammo, factory gun, better than a lot of bolt actions.

Boolit Grand Master

Putting a scope on a Marlin is sacrilege.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Putting a scope on a Marlin is sacrilege.
    1894 CL .218 Bee is a sub MOA sinner with it's 4x Tasco (devil laugh)@100 yds.

To correct post #12- my 336 was the common model not the CS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast