RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who uses an"shotgun" scope on thier 22 rifle?

On my 541S there's an interesting scope.Was in a gun store,nice old school type place that see's tons of traffic.They have a decent used scope selection where they separate rigs coming in to boost used sales.But this was 15 or so years ago.The scope trend was really getting traction on,"my objective is bigger than yours".....to a fault.

So,for 40$ got a mint Burris 4x32 with a post reticle,think it's a German #4?Anyway nobody wanted it.....one of the clearest,bestest scopes this hillbilly has ever seen.The salesman knew what it was,nice and extremely knowledgeable on optics.We both just laughed about the "trend".It's never been taken off the 541.

I use the 1-4x20 Leupold shotgun scopes on several CF rigs.The thick reticle will work with precision if you use a black square aiming point that is about the size of the crosshairs say @100.The trick is tons of dry fire practice (always good) so you're intimate with the trigger.Good BR quality rest/bags really help.But you slowly move the crosshair till it covers the square "dot"....then don't think,yank the trigger haha.Squeeze it really,just don't waste time.Cover square,shoot.Try coming in from the same direction for consistency.I can shoot alllllmost as good now with them as their skinny counterparts.

Boolit Master
    I use a white "+ sign" created by the white gaps between 4 large black squares. The gaps between the black squares allow a white border arround the crosshairs in use. Sighting is by maintaining the white gap around the crosshairs. Same principal as front and rear aparetures with a round bull in position rifle. Extremely precise when the dimensions match the crosshairs in use. Can experiment with post-it notes, use orange or dark color, and don't tru to make the visual white gap tiny. Like a peep sight we can center the cross wires in the gap, easier with a reasonable gap.
    Last edited by rking22; 10-20-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Trying to make it make sense
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Personally I think a lot of the parallax talk is hype from the scope company's.
    From them among others. .22 rimfire sporting shooting does often require more precise shot placement, or accuracy as it is sometimes termed, than high power. A sixty yard rabbit is smaller than a 200 yard deer. So the thickness of the crosshairs is a point. But duplex reticules are common now, and the point of anything pointed is a point. There is probably no better range than 75 yards for the parallax on a .22 to be corrected. The greatest way parallax can be made to harm accuracy, is flirtation with so many different rifles that you don't maintain perfectly consistent cheek and eye placement.

I've had excellent service from a steel K1.5 Weaver on a deer rifle. I also have a 2.5x Tasco Bantam (unfortunately with the 20mm. objective rather than the 32mm. they also did) which has an eye relief of about 5in., and is conveniently usable on a Cadet Martini. Its optical performance seems marvellous for the money, and it has a stippled lacquer which could very easily be retouched if it gets scratched.

I also have a pre-war Zeiss Zielklein scope of about 3x with a 7/8in. tube and 1950s Leupold external-adjustment mounts. I think we would have heard a lot more of those mounts, a really excellent design, if they hadn't been expensive to make. This scope is noticeably lacking in brightness, but still very superior to the common alternative of the time, no scope at all. It has a moving reticle like a little portcullials, which I think might make it peculiarly resistant to loss of adjustment through recoil or other jarring. There are range figures on the internal adjustment, which I would assume without having used it yet to be for .22 rimfire. So it could be used purely for range, with true zeroing done on the external mounts.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 10-21-2017 at 02:45 PM.

When I was a kid everyone had the little Pee Whistle 1/2 tube scopes on their 22s. I probably would have had one too but my rifle wasn't grooved or D&T for scope. I shot them on buddies
    guns and didn't like them. They were ok for plinking but not much account in the woods. I wrote
    scopes off until one of my dads friends came squirrel hunting with us. He had a Win 74 with a
    K4 on it, standard cross hairs. He had no problem on head shots at 40yds. It impressed me and
    I got a Rem 572 and k4 shortly after that. I have been putting 1" scopes of low power on 22s
    ever since. I have never owned a Special 22rf scope, and never had parallax problem with a
    straight power. I did send a 6x Leupold in to have it parallaxed for 22, it might have not been
    necessary but scope was given to me with problems and I had it done with the service. Service
    was free but they charge for adjustment to 22rf.

Boolit Master
    One of the big disasters of my shooting life was quite a few years back, when I went with a friend to a game and country fair in NE Scotland. On one of the trade tables I found a scope, probably made by Voigtlander, with claw mounts and a moulded leather case embossed with "Made for the Ross Rifle." It was probably pre-1914, as close as anyone at the time got to modern scope standards, and was marked £20.

Well the genetic heritage dies hard, and I put it down and hesitated in the hopes of a reduction... as one does. I was tragically misled by an incident many years before, when I was going to be away from London for some time, and a most respectable middle-aged high school library lady went down to the street market and bought the Model 1908 cavalry sword for me - the one Lieutenant Patton copied. She hesitated, due to realising that the stallholder had no wrapping paper, and he knocked off £2! She carried it through London in all its naked glory, without arrest.

But with the scope... My friend bought it! I didn't have the heart to protest. You can pay a lot more for the claw mounts nowadays.

Good story Ballistics.

I've got four grown sons....bunch of hunting gun and bow boys.We/they go to a LOT of traditional archery rendezvous and gun shows.To say it's dog eat dog is an understatement.Seems like you get extra points for snaking your brother,haha.Then hold the item/s hostage.

Boolit Master
    Traditional archery? If you are ever stuck for a present, look for Robert Hardy the actor's "The Longbow". It is a practical guide, a history and a marvellous technical study, including his work as a member of the "Mary Rose" Trust, analysing and recreating the bows found in the wreck of Henry VIII's warship.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Personally I think a lot of the parallax talk is hype from the scope company's.

Parallex is real. It really shows up when shooting past 300 yards. and you don't adjust your scope for it. Ask any long range shooter.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I shotened both ends of a Rem 788 .308 and installed a good recoil pad and a 4x diamond crosshair Bushnell scope. My niece claimed it and has killed two very nice bucks with it. She says the 16-1/2" barrel is handy but loud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a Leupold 1-4x20 turkey plex on my 1885 375 H&H magnum and have no problem ringing 8 inch gongs at 200 yards. Rings them loud to! I also have an old Tasco shot gun scope on a old bolt gun that's killed bunches o critters. At 22lr ranges and low power scopes paralax just isn't that big a deal. To test your paralax induced error. Set the gun up on the bags scope on target at 25-75 yards and move your eye around behind the scope and you will see the cross hairs move around a bit, that's your paralax error.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12