WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who uses an"shotgun" scope on thier 22 rifle?

Boolit Master

Who uses an"shotgun" scope on thier 22 rifle?

I do and love it; at the range today a young man,nice ,polite ,decent shot,abided by range rules,didn't bother me in the least but when we got to talking he mentioned that the shotgun scope on my 22 wasn't ideal because of the thick cross hairs and the parallax would be set for 70 or so yards; in reply I fired a string of 10 into the sun with the two scoops of raisins on a box of Kellogg's raisen bran, at 50 yards offhand at my leisurely pace;all ten were in the sun between the eyes and mouth for those familiar with the cereal box.

Boolit Master
    I try to not open my mouth & give negative opinions on folks' setups, because I dislike looking like a fool after they've proved me wrong.
    Lots of ways to skin a cat, and pretty is as pretty does.

Boolit Master

Very good plan; see growing up in northern MI deer camps and leaving 10 days after high school to the Marine Corps I also learned not to call anyone out on gear;?skills; abilities etc unless I was willing to look the fool or wear a black eye.

Boolit Master
    Certainly - would much rather begin discreetly and then impress, rather than coming on strong & then looking the fool when I can't deliver, lol.

All that was missing was for you to invite your associate to perform comparably w/ his "better" setup.

Boolit Master

Like a said he seemed a nice kid and didn't do it in that high handed know it all way but instead like it was something he knew a great deal about and wanted to inform me that I was a dunce. He did have a very nice Tikka .308 with a red field scope and Harris bipod !

Different strokes.

Me I started out with my dad's Bushnell deer rifle scope. 3x9x40 had to go to tall rings to mount it. But once I learned it I was shooting 12 ga hulls laid on the snow so I could only see the brass base. 90% were hit in the primer at 75 yards. Little harder at 100.

My shooting buddy emptied his ruger 10/22 at a bird once, little thing size of a golf ball. He started shooting at 50 yards. We were floating down the river in a canoe.
    Gave up at 75 when he ran out. I reached over and grabbed my ruger 10/22 lined it up, squeezed the trigger and the bird was gone. 3 feathers floating on the water.

My buddy goes "where'd the bird go" Into the mud. Hit him dead center and it drove him right into the mud.

By the time I shot range was pushing 100 yards.

A year later we were at the range sighting in my buddy's new scope.

Those little cheap .22 scopes were no longer good enough. He could not keep up.
    And that is the kiss of death to a friendship.

When it comes to optics I either prefer Red Dot sight for close fast action, or more power for long steady single shots. My dad harped on me for years for buying a semi auto. "You'll never learn to shoot" "You'll burn the barrel out" "Everyone knows you can't hit the broad side of a barn with one of those.

Well it has been 40 years. I still take aimed single shots. Make each one count. I did learn to shoot. Barrel is still going strong. I can hit the far side of the barn through a knot hole. And if it was not for Dad none of those would be true. Pretty wise guy in his way. Thanks dad!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Many years ago Tasco made a 1.25X Bantam slug scope that I wish I had bought a dozen of,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I got one of those shotgun turkey scopes with diamond reticle on a 10/22, have no problem with
    it and parallax. I have several low power Weavers & Redfields on shotguns,22s and deer rifles.

Boolit Master
    I've used a 4x shotgun scope on several 22 over the years, worked well. Liked it lots better than the scout scope setups.
    Ghosthawk, like you I consider my 10-22s to be single shots with onboard ammo storage! Nice thing about autos is you don't have to move to reload , doesn't scare the other squirrels. I've gotten multiple squirrels from the same tree with subsonic HP's from my 10-22, many times.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    I do and love it; at the range today a young man,nice ,polite ,decent shot,abided by range rules,didn't bother me in the least but when we got to talking he mentioned that the shotgun scope on my 22 wasn't ideal because of the thick cross hairs and the parallax would be set for 70 or so yards; in reply I fired a string of 10 into the sun with the two scoops of raisins on a box of Kellogg's raisen bran, at 50 yards offhand at my leisurely pace;all ten were in the sun between the eyes and mouth for those familiar with the cereal box.
    Thanks for the post....I have wondered about what you spoke about.....thanks for opening my eyes and helping me to make an informed decision! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I have an old Weaver K2.5 scope on my little Henry carbine, works great!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Back in the middle 70s, I installed a straight 4x high powered rifle scope on my Winchester 72A. It has been there ever since and works just fine for all my hunting and shooting needs with that rifle.
    I still have a couple of boxes of the old SuperX long rifle hollow points I purchased to hunt squirrels with nearly 30 years ago. The rifle and scope still shoots to point of aim even after all these years.
    I could still go hunting with it right now and not worry about where the bullets were going to go.

Boolit Master
    As an aside, I'm rather curious about the parallax "concern". Haven't looked in a while, but IIRC Leupolds ML scopes are set to 70 yds (?), while I know the Lp Rimfire is set to 60 yds. Virtually identical, for all practical purposes.

Personally I think a lot of the parallax talk is hype from the scope company's.

Airgunner's do tend to get into it more as for accuracy they often shoot with high magnification and short ranges. For a purpose like that I can see spending extra money if that is what you do.

But for most guns, with most hunting ranges most people will simply never need to worry about it. Especially if you are close and shooting a variable dial the magnification down.

Just my opinion of course. YMMV.

And I do have a Simmons pro diamond that did spend some time on my ruger 10/22.
    It was ok, but when I found a new in box Bushnell 3x9x40 for 40$ at the pawn shop. Well it got swapped out. Dad's old Bushnell banner only lasted some 40 years. Can't complain much I guess considering I stole it off him.

I use my Bushnell 1.75 x 4 power cantilever shotgun scopes on my lever action .22 rifles with scout mounts. They have 5" of eye relief which is perfect because the scope is mounted farther forward than normal. The magnification is also perfect for carry rifle and the shots / ranges encountered.
    No problems at all.

Boolit Master
    I use them on muzzle loaders and High power rifles as well...(my 308W).
    I love the thick crosshairs for early and late visibility and the parallax means nothing if the stock fits you and you don't move your head around when shooting.
    The little 1-4 Leupold is a great scope and all the power I need for killing deer at anything inside of 300yds.

I have one on a "truck rifle" .30/06 savage axis barrel is cut down to 16.5" loud but compact and handy.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    I leave the scope in the bathroom cabinet, I tried to see thru it once on my rifle, it made everything look blurry greenish blue I guess it was as you mentioned "parallax" but I'm pretty sure that was in the box next to the scope, since I try to be pretty practiced at the range and the box said for irregularity I figured I was regular. So the next time I'm out to the range I will take both and try again!!!!

I have a shotgun scope on my H&R .444 single shot. I like it. If it works for you, why bother with anyone else's opinion?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned
    Use a 2-7 Bushy slug scope on my TC Contender 50 cal MZ bbl. Works just great !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast