Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: .45 Colt Rifle

.45 Colt Rifle

Anyone here paper patching seated out boolits for .45 Colt?
    I've tried out the bore riding #445599
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seating length.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	204423
    and that has turned my thinking to patching.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    A gentleman gave me a 430421that cast at .448 .
    I shot a few in a 92' but there weren't enough gains over , at least not in any of the ways I was looking for , over the PB cast to follow the effort .

If the effort is to gain speed or groups I don't think it will do what you are after . Without going to fast rifle powder and Ruger loads or more the major gains will be bore polishing .

I may or may not have loaded H322 under a 354 gr in a 45 Colts and may or may not have been right at the 25kpsi clean up threshold with MV leaning towards 1300 fps . I would never suggest such a thing if you weren't 100% sure of the platform being compatible with such a thing .
    Something in a similar theoretical situation with a 250-265 class papered might yield a load into the middle to upper 1400s .
    Of course at that point you're tip toeing around in the realm of 45-70 plinkers.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Some is going to be determined by the rifles action. The lever actions are pretty much length sensitize as to what feeds and will function thru the action. Even through they will chaber and fire in the lever actions they need to feed also. Ideally a pp would only be 1/8" - 3/16" into the case to get as much alighnment from the bore. Length in the repeters would more tha likely become a issue. A buddy is using a single shot action with a barrel chambered for 45 colt in shutzen matches and in this type rifle length isn't an issue I believe he is breech seating grease grooved bullets for this endevar though. He shots some great groups like this. I believe he shoots the whole match with one case depriming and priming then loading it for each shot same a s some of the oldtimers did.

It would be an interesting thing to try and see how it works out. On the single shots a breech seating set up with a PP bullet wrapped to grove dia and inserted into the rifling with a case full of 2 f black and a card wad might be an interesting off hand load. One plus would be a dead soft lead slug can be used as the paper Patch insulates it from the barrel and any leading. Would be a great hunting set up also.

I believe Col. Harrison did test with PP bullets in a 300 win mag at full velocity with decent results. Paul Mathews has some interesting information out there also.

I have the Accurate 380 grain bore rider for smokeless powerhouse loads.

Name:	45 83 2400.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	204462
    Which reminds me I was gonna send that mold off for hollow points.

Any way, I happen to enjoy shooting paper patched and black so now I'm looking around for a suitable mold and thought I'd see if anybody is already doing it.

By the way, the #445599 is loaded with homebrew BP lube in the hollow base and a thin cotton cloth patch to provide interference holding the rear band in the case mouth. That lets it seat all the way out and maximize the powder volume. The boolit expanded to fill the grooves full length all the way to the front. Figuring to do more or less the same thing with paper patched. Heck, before this fun is over it might get loaded like a Civil War carbine with a paper patched boolit having a big rear end stop ring

Name:	45 Colt PP.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	204464
    and the case filled with powder pushing it into position. Maybe could put a hard felt lube wad in the case mouth to keep the powder from falling out. Oh yeah, this could get plumb goofy fun before it's over.