Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersPBcastco
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Heaven vs Heavens

Boolit Master

Heaven vs Heavens

There are three “heavens” in the Bible.

#1 is the sky

#2 is outer space.

#3 is the place where God’s presence is manifested like nowhere else in creation. This is the place modern people think of when they use the term “heaven.” 2 Corinthians 12:2 speaks about this 3rd heaven.

Jesus uses the word heaven twice when he teaches the disciples to pray.

“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” Matthew 6:9-13 (ESV)

The first use of the word “heaven” is in fact plural (heavens). This reminds us that God occupies all of his creation--all three heavens.

The second use of the word “heaven” is singular. Here heaven is referring to the place where God’s presence is manifested. In this place God’s will is followed completely (as opposed to earth).

Jesus was saying that when we pray, we should petition that God’s intentions will be carried out fully on earth just like they are in heaven.

Boolit Grand Master

I would see the three as three concepts of or descriptions of heaven rather than physical places.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The definition of heaven that chokes me up when I tell it to someone (I don’t remember where I heard it myself) is - “Heaven is a green meadow, by a river, where all the dogs you ever loved run to greet you.”
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I would see the three as three concepts of or descriptions of heaven rather than physical places.
    Interesting concept. Would you please elaborate. I was always of the opinion and teach of the OP
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

26charlie I have seen a glimpse of that place. My grandfather was sitting under a tree, nearby was my old black lab blue. He was "wrapping light" in different colors like a fly tyer only with light not physical fur, feathers.

When he finished one he would get up and cast it into the river. If a fish hit it it would disappear in a flash, point for grandpa. If it looked and passed it by, point for the fish. I don't think they were keeping score too carefully.

I reckon the Lord knows how he made me, and what my "needs" for heaven are better than I do.
    I'm suspecting he's all planned out and ahead of the game.

Boolit Master
    Salvation assures us life after death in the presence of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. The where part and what it looks like do not concern me too much, although I agree that trying to visualize them is a perfectly worthwhile endeavor.

Moderator Emeritus

Good distinction, Ick. Our English language, like most others, has some sometimes puzzling traits in it, and when one is trying to think precisely, as when considering any really important matter or principle, our language can sometimes be a bit of a problem in and of its own self. But then, Christ never said He'd make everything EASY for us, did He? Only those things we have to EARN seem to really stick in our minds. It's mostly, I think, a result of our innate laziness. We only have so much time in a day in which to achieve all the things we need and sometimes want to do, but all too often, we use "lack of time" as an excuse rather than as a real and legitimate reason for our NOT considering things more fully and precisely. And yet, the Lord still loves us, and sends us so many, many blessings! What a wondrous Savior we have in Christ!

The old style, man-created "gods" would NEVER treat us the way Christ does! I guess that's what makes him "King of Kings?"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    Interesting concept. Would you please elaborate. I was always of the opinion and teach of the OP
    I have a very unbilbical and mathmatical concept of heaven. It simply is - imagine yourself as a point - one dimensional, unable to even see a line. Then someone comes along and tells you there is such a thing as a sphere! How do you handle it?

The one thing that impresses me most of the writings of those who have seen it - Ezekiel and John most clearly, is that whatever they experienced they were unable to adequately describe - the language is not adequate to the experience.

It is perhaps the greatest unknowable in the Bible other than God.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!