MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bummed out

Moderator Emeritus

Bummed out

The local gunshow was this weekend, I always have a table there.
    VERY VERY low attendance, record low attendance, and very few of those few attendees were buying. The only buying/selling I was seeing was between those with a table.

on the plus side, I did some swaps for older powder and primers, I was happy to get rid of a box of misc old leather, a few holsters and sheaths, but mostly belts and scraps.

I found couple sealed 1 lb jugs of SR4759 for a fair price...but I just missed a inexpensive jug of 5744

There was also a sweet S&W mod 28 Highway patrolman, that was customized by Clark to 44 spl and barrel shortened to 3", it was priced at $750...I just couldn't justify spending that much at this time...but what a deal someone got.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Around here there are two shows. One is a bunch of brick and mortar stores with tables full of used stuff at new retail prices. The other is once a year and is actually a bunch of collectors and is the one show a year to go to.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master

I have not been to but one show since the election and it was Tulsa. Its so large that its hard to judge the amount of buying and selling. I bought a bunch of cartridges for my collection.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    at least you have a show that has revolvers.

the "gun show" in my area is basically junk you find at walmart, at higher then walmart prices. Although one guy has a pair of broom handle mausers in the original 32 mauaser to boot. 1 is an artillery barrel.

But sadly most of these small shows are not going to actually get anything out of them. People are typically just trying to price what their soon to be dead relative has, or are simply trying to make a fortune selling a piece of high price junk to what ever sucker comes along.
    This is why I quit going to most gun shows in my area! IF I want to buy grossly overpriced junk, chinese knives, aluminum siding and wore out clothing I'll go to the flea market, for free I might add, instead of paying to go to what supposed to be a gun show.

Boolit Master
    Same here, if they even allow a show $10-$20 to get in, never close because the bigger cities won't allow them, everything is garbage, less & less vendors as years go on & more and more opposition and laws regulating it. I gave up a long time ago myself, havent gone to one in over 10 years.

Banned
    Shows are a mixed bag and I've seen horrible ones and decent ones.

There was a time that even the big vendors had competitive prices but after the Obama years they seemed to have adopted the "that's the price take it or leave it" attitude. I leave it.

There were some really good shows in the past that had more collectors and less retailers. The small guys have been squeezed out and I think their customer base got squeezed out along with them.

But, I still find the occasional deal or old trinket at gun shows and occasionally sell something.

Boolit Master

Stopped going to gunshows a couple years back. Almost every show within 100 miles is organized and run by same promoter: 90% same dealers, same overpriced guns/equipment/'tacticool" junk, no reloading/casting (except for one guy who always has a couple tables of LEE, priced at MSRP). If I'm traveling and happen to run across a locally run show, I'll stop and do a walk-thru, otherwise, just not worth my time.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Hey we go to the same show!
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Did not know about this show. Maybe the poor attendance might be due to not enough advertising to get the word out?
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I go to the shows when I can. Never expected something for nothing and making a reasonable offer is still good form. Love it when the same folks are there, as they remember me and will cut a deal.
    One vender was new and he had two of the same items, priced differently. I asked why and he said take both for twenty bucks. Couldn't say no.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Use to love gun shows here , you would see many interesting older guns and shooting items but they have become an extension of gun stores/shops with inflated prices because of the setting . Black guns and flea market junk . It's sad , I miss the old shows .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Did not know about this show. Maybe the poor attendance might be due to not enough advertising to get the word out?
    Maybe?
    The Hutchinson show in late Sept has been a staple for 36 years, known widely as a locally run 300 table show (by the Elk's club) with lots of private dealers, much like the Wells, MN show in March. There is usually a "crocodile productions inc" show in the twin cities on the same weekend, so the large dealers of the twin cities area are at the crocodile productions show and not in Hutchinson taking up the table space, leaving it for private dealers, we even have a few private collectors come from out-of-state. It's a great show, we just lacked attendance last weekend, which can deter vendors from future shows
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I also scored the coveted 45th edition of the Lyman reloading manual.
    I've heard others mention it's one of their favorites and they wouldn't be without it. I've seen them priced stupidly high on the famous auction site.
    Anyway, I was offered a large pile of Herters equipment, dies, and 3 lbs of Herters branded powder for $80...I had most of the equipment in my collection already and the dies were common, so they weren't worth the price to me, but the Lyman manual on top with a bunch of other papers and Herters load data, I offered $1 for that...and he said OK, but the pamphet of Herters powder Data would stay with the Herters powder.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

I go to one show that's put on by a shooting club that's pretty god and also very friendly. The Local monthly show in town charges for admittenance and Parking. Handicapped parking stinks there and isn't really set up inside for wheel chair use normally. The conservation clubs show is free parking and more related to the shooter reloader than the other is any more.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Use to love gun shows here , you would see many interesting older guns and shooting items but they have become an extension of gun stores/shops with inflated prices because of the setting . Black guns and flea market junk . It's sad , I miss the old shows .
    I went to a handful around Houston and this was my impression as well. No haggling, overpriced items, and tons of clothing/jerky/junk for sale. I switched to just ordering online to my ffl or using gunbroker. I did enjoy walking around and looking but the prices were ridiculous even just compared to Academy. I know some items go up in value etc, but 5-10% over MSRP is just too much for me.

1hr+ drive, pay for parking and pay for entrance? I'll pass... Only one I haven't done is the Pasedena gun show but I think it's run by the same folks.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Well, as far as the attendance... I might have gone had I known about it, even if it would be a bit of a trip. Just a couple of hours one way, anyway. Could have gotten in some fishing too, although it was pretty hot & muggy for me this past weekend.

Please do me a favor & when ya hear or know about one of these gunshows within a reasonable amount of time & distance let me/us know. I know I would appreciate knowing about them & making a decision on going or not.

If there was a place in the forum that lets folks know about such local shows per state, or something like that, that would be nice also. So folks have a place to let others know about the "wheres & whens" of these types of things. ight help attendance as well as getting to know more folks interested in the same things.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    I did a little search on line and found this.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/minnesota_gun_shows.shtml

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I did a little search on line and found this.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/minnesota_gun_shows.shtml
    Thanks very much!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Mold
    I do the same show each month. Last few have been slow. This last weekend was a good show. Rainy weather and lots of folks showed up. Not alot of gun sales but ammo sales and common stuff went well!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    SNIP...

Please do me a favor & when ya hear or know about one of these gunshows within a reasonable amount of time & distance let me/us know. I know I would appreciate knowing about them & making a decision on going or not.
    I've posted about the Hutchinson show in past years, and got little interest.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...20-and-21-2014

Be sure to pencil in the Wells MN show in March, the 11th and 12th.
    https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/...-traders-show/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast