Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Waterproofing Cotton/Canvas Wristwatch Band

Waterproofing Cotton/Canvas Wristwatch Band

I have a Timex Expedition with a green cotton/canvas wrist band. I would like to waterproof or seal the band to keep it from absorbing grease, oil and sweat. I have had it about a month and the band is starting to stink a little.

Are there any old tricks to waterproofing and sealing canvas. I was thinking about silicone or bees wax but wanted to ask you guys first!

Thanks,

David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r3ROEKH.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	204409
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Grand Master

You might consider one of the Spray sealents for tents and gear. Take band off and hang it up spray and let cure. You might be able to spray some in the cap and brush it in even. I would be leary of beeswax while a everyday watch ( not a dress watch per say) when subjected to heat beeswax may work out into shirt sleeves and clothing. I would try the tent sealants that are silicone. Another if its body oils creating the smell is to wear it in the shower and scrub it down when you wash up. LOL. Keeps the body oils and salts from building up. I used to soak cloth bands over night in a small shallow container of dish soap and water. A shallow small dia pan and a piece of 1/8" X1" flat stock to reach across the pan. set watch on bar across the pan with band hanging down into soap water. Brush and rinse after a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You might consider one of the Spray sealents for tents and gear. Take band off and hang it up spray and let cure. You might be able to spray some in the cap and brush it in even. I would be leary of beeswax while a everyday watch ( not a dress watch per say) when subjected to heat beeswax may work out into shirt sleeves and clothing. I would try the tent sealants that are silicone. Another if its body oils creating the smell is to wear it in the shower and scrub it down when you wash up. LOL. Keeps the body oils and salts from building up. I used to soak cloth bands over night in a small shallow container of dish soap and water. A shallow small dia pan and a piece of 1/8" X1" flat stock to reach across the pan. set watch on bar across the pan with band hanging down into soap water. Brush and rinse after a couple hours.
    Thanks for the tips! I will scrub it down some more.

My dog has a collar that has a vinyl or silicone coating, that is what I was hoping to eventually achieve. He has been skunked twice and the collar doesn't stink at all.

Boolit Buddy
    Another option would be to pick up a nylon NATO strap as a replacement. The cost maybe $10-15 depending on where you buy them and last pretty much forever.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Years ago had a cotton canvas band on my military-issue Benrus. In hot-wet field environment these would disintegrate in a week.

Nylon replacements are more durable but will absorb sweat and funk and stink unless washed.

Good selection of NATO replacement watch bands at CountyComm:

https://countycomm.com/collections/watch-bands

I have one of the silicone rubber deployment bands on my current Marathon

https://countycomm.com/collections/w...nt=26699131590
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Seiko 5 among others with a fabric band like that. I soak it every now and then overnight in Totally Awesome or Dawn, rinse well and dry then spray with Balistol.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Go to Walmart and look at their replacement bands and pick the one that fits that watch that is silicone rubber. Then all you will have to do is scrub it down or wear it in the shower when you are cleaning yourself up. Those cotton/canvas bands wear out quickly even when you take care not to get them soaked in sweat or in a high humidity area. I had a military watch with the cloth band and the first thing I did after my first 30 days of using it in the field was to ditch that stinking watchband.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Silicone will also stink sooner or later. A few of my higher end diving watches and computers have them. The one on my Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic got bad enough that i replaced the band with a metal one.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

A very generous fellow member sent me some silicone replacement bands. I replaced the cotton band with the silicone and my life is much better!

Thank you friends for your help!

David

Boolit Master
    50/50 Linseed oil/mineral spirits is the old fashioned way to waterproof canvas.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken