WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: CCI Magnum large rifle primers

Boolit Master

CCI Magnum large rifle primers

I came into 700 CCI LR Mag primers and I do not load for magnum rifles. What is the downside of using them in place of standard rifle primers?

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum.

Boolit Master

I am willing to bet that if you checked with a genuine authority, i.e. powder manufacturer, they would tell you, download slightly and proceed. Please do and let us know.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I came into a sizable amount of LR magnum primers a year or so ago. I find that they work very well in my plinking rounds with small amounts of fast powder. Mostly I use TiteGroup in these rounds as it isn't position sensitive and a small amount of powder keeps the rounds very affordable. Gp

Boolit Master

Just reread my post. Noticed I put down 700 when it should have been 7000. That is a lot of plinking loads.

Boolit Master
    I keep both standard and magnum LR primers around. Some powder data calls for them, usually in reloading for Magnums....like 338 W. However, I have used them in 308W, cast loads. AA 4350 comes to mind. I will develop the most accurate load with standard primers, then switch to magnum primers, to see if there is any significant improvement. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Usually not loading full throttle, just enough to get my AR-10 to reliably function. Stop when accuracy falls off.

Winelover

No downside as long as you develop your load around that primer. I use magnum primers with my 25-06 loads and 7mm RM loads. Any case that has a tall powder column can benefit from a magnum primer, especially in cold temperatures. I would not use them in small capacity cases where the primer will do work intended for powder.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Just reread my post. Noticed I put down 700 when it should have been 7000. That is a lot of plinking loads.
    The that is a lot of primers to shoot up!...LOL

CCI primers are top notch & I'd say you should be able to trade for other brands & sizes pretty easily. Recently, in my area at least, CCI 250's were scarce & brought a higher price.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

Magnum primers were intended for mainly large capacity cases and slow burning powders. You can use them with medium or fast burning powders but as stated, drop back on the charge by 10% or so and gradually work back up. I use them and have had success with them, especially with shorter barrels. I use magnum primers in the .357 magnum, .41 magnum and even some .45AR loads. I also use them in .223 (with H335), 6.5x55 with IMR4831, 30-06 with slow burning powders(4831, 4350, H414), and 8x57mm (with H335, AA4064). Much of this depends on the powder you are using. My experience anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master

Check with the powder companies. There have been some pressure excursions in the 44Mag using mag primers. Not blowup issues, but concerning. The powder companies would know specifically for each powder application.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

What TNsailor said. ^^^^

Boolit Grand Master

Magnum rifle primers were also developed for (other than the large capacity magnums) the use of medium and slower burning ball powders in standard cases, especially for use in colder climates. The CCI 250s work very well in cases from 30-30 up through the 30-06 where ball powders are used in standard pressure jacketed bullet loads.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input fellows. Some really helpful info. I think I will go the middle of the road and try to move some and experiment with the remainder. Thanks again, Jay

In Remembrance

This thread got me thinking, which can be a bad thing. I checked my ammo cans that I store all my primers in to see if indeed I didn`t have any left. Naturally it was lurking in the last can I looked in on the shelves, a full brick of Federals that I loaded our (2) 7 Rem. Mags with back in 1980! My .416 Taylor really shines with CCI Mag. primers though.Robert

Boolit Master
    try not to use in a M1 or M1A as they seem softer I had a double fire on a M1 and if you do be careful
    i dropped 2gr and loads work fine in everything but the M1

Boolit Master
    I was working with WIN 760 in a 303 Brit, the loads were modest as I don't thrash my #4. Loads with standard primers were fairly accurate but velocity was a little erratic. When I switched to a mag primer velocity did not really increase but evened out and accuracy improved. The ball powder needed a little kick in the butt to burn properly.

I don't have any Magnum rifles but I do have mag primers, as stated work up the load around them.

I decided 760 was a little slow to suit me for the 303 and moved to RL15.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I was working with WIN 760 in a 303 Brit, the loads were modest as I don't thrash my #4. Loads with standard primers were fairly accurate but velocity was a little erratic. When I switched to a mag primer velocity did not really increase but evened out and accuracy improved. The ball powder needed a little kick in the butt to burn properly.

I don't have any Magnum rifles but I do have mag primers, as stated work up the load around them.

I decided 760 was a little slow to suit me for the 303 and moved to RL15.

Dave
    Hello Dave,
    I found your info above interesting; whose Magnum & Standard primers were you using?

The reason that I'm interested is that one of the next loads I'll be working on is .308Win using (ball powder) W748. I'll be using Win LP, which I understand are on the hot side for standard primers (so I /should/ be ok) - but am curious as to your primer experience here.
    Thx,

Boolit Master
    The standard primer was the Win standard rifle, the old nickel primers in the white box and the mag primers were CCI. The velocity was a little over 2300 with a 150 gr bullet, not hot at all, maybe not hot enough. Although the mag primer helped this load I think the 760 was not a good choice.I did run them across the chrony, the variation in the velocity was what tipped me off.

THE 308 Win is a great round ,I have one but haven't really shot it much yet with jacketed bullets. I used mostly 4064 and 4895 when I did. I have also heard that Win is a hot primer. Try them both, a good excuse to shoot more.

Good luck with the 308.
    Dave

Boolit Master
    Ah I understand a little better now. I already expected that your W760 would be a little more challenging than my W748; but it also sounds that you were on the low side with regards to pressure, with that reported velocity - which would make its ignition more marginal.

So I do hope to be OK as my goal is considerably in excess of 2300 fps.
    Thx for the add'l info,

Be mindful that 748 is temperature sensitive. Loads developed in cool temperatures may become very hot loads on hot days.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    For us old cast boolit shooters who often have loads which don't even half fill the case, well I don't think there is ever a down-side to using a magnum primer in those cases and often there is a noticeable up-side. You have a real good thing there with those magnum primers.