Titan ReloadingWidenersPBcastcoRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Finally, Casting Season Again

Boolit Master

Finally, Casting Season Again

We are definitely past hot weather, supposed to be cool and rainy for a couple more days, I'm out of some boolits, so tomorrow and Friday will be marathon casting and coating days! Woo hoo!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I just go out in the shop and brave the heat. No marathon sessions but maybe 1-2 hours.
    I agree it's much more pleasant in the cooler weather.
    What's on the agenda to cast Craig?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    High 90's here lately after an early fall teaser. I have been shooting up random stuff because it is still to hot to refill my stocks.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master
    I need to do some casting also. Supposed to be in the upper 80's tomorrow & the 90's on Friday, then starting to cool down.
    I limit my casting to about 2-4 hours, but when it is hot, I will only go about 2. Done early in the morning also. Likely will cast a few hundred of a couple calibers tomorrow & then wait to cast when it cools abit next week.

G'Luck to ya!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Not to brag but my shop has ac. However I'm ready for cooler weather. We had a couple of weeks of cool weather. Got me spoiled back to being hot!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I just go out in the shop and brave the heat. No marathon sessions but maybe 1-2 hours.
    I agree it's much more pleasant in the cooler weather.
    What's on the agenda to cast Craig?
    Ok, point of clarification: marathon= about 4/5 hours, I've become old AND a sissy!

Waco - NOE 358-135FN, NOE 454-255, NOE 225-70, NOE 453-200, Lee 358-200 and 358-125 then I'll see for Friday.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Last few days been doing a lot of swaging with cores cast last year. Been gathering firewood in morning this week. Rebuilding the 12" x 50' deck destroyed by falling ice dam last spring has consumed the summer (except about 2 weeks of volunteering to fix up problems at the ranges I belong to). Another week and I'll start casting 5 or 6 30 Cal and 3 or 4 .224 boolit styles. Also need to cast many cores for swaging .224's and 30's. Should finish most of the casting by mid November; then it'll be core swaging, heat treating boolits, and PC' ing boolits. Oh the life of being retired; wish it on everyone!!
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Ok, point of clarification: marathon= about 4/5 hours, I've become old AND a sissy!

Waco - NOE 358-135FN, NOE 454-255, NOE 225-70, NOE 453-200, Lee 358-200 and 358-125 then I'll see for Friday.
    Very nice!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Not to brag but my shop has ac. However I'm ready for cooler weather. We had a couple of weeks of cool weather. Got me spoiled back to being hot!
    I'm getting prices on a heat pump.......

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Not to brag but my shop has ac.
    I'm definitely not bragging when I say it snowed a little here yesterday. I fired up the casting pot for the first time in a long time, just to keep warm.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

I have AC . lol But I cast mostly in the winter.
    Attachment 204398

Boolit Grand Master

Its still in the upper 80's here and may hit 90 this week. My casting will start up again after hunting season. I've been sorting wheelweights and its even warm for that unless I turn the fan on. But, it will eventually cool off.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Still wayyyyyy toooo hot here in Mobile. Today to be in the 90's and still rain showers a regular thing to happen on a almost daily basis. I can't wait for thanksgiving, that is usually when I start casting. Would be nice to have a enclosed space with A/C so I don't have to wait each year for November to start casting.

Boolit Master

Casting & L/S time for me is in January or February when its too cold to do anything else , I leave my casting equipment up for about a month and usually make about 10K of various caliber bullets.
    I cast indoors with proper ventilation with a oversized hood with a good exhaust fan.
    works excellent been doing it this way for over 45 years with about 500K made and my blood lead levels are still normal.

Did about 100lbs of clip on wheel weights yesterday. Temps in the 70's. I'll be casting next month.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Harvey dropped the temps a bit but don't want that as the solution.

We just backtracked and are allowing summer dress at the cowboy shoot this weekend.

90° with humidity to match is not casting season but I have done some this summer

Fall gets here tomorrow in Houston though Mother Nature will be at least a month behind. Women. . .always late
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I have been casting straight through, but I don't cast that long. Maybe two hours at a time. I've acquired several vintage Lyman/Ideal and RCBS molds recently and there is no way I'm waiting for cool weather.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Summertime is over here in Northern Arizona. Got the next 3 days off, and the molds lined up.