Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet casting equipment worth it or not?

Boolit Buddy
    I like what brass410 said. I ain't got no grandchildren yet but I hope to . Someone is going to end up with a bunch of guns and reloading stuff. I hope somebody knows what to do with it!! LOL!!!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If I was going to shoot that much you bet I'd have a machine like that . I don't so gang molds and two electric furnaces will do for me .

Good on you for thinking ahead .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    A bit of an odd perspective on his part, I'm thinking? Won't he have the option to get the equipment for free at some point ?
    I was a machinist for years when I worked in the factory and my son unfortunately doesn't quite have the nack for running either my Dillon 650 or my bullet caster. If something doesn't quite work right instead of making a visual observation he seems to want to force something. Several tries with him running my machines had me fearing for their safety and wishing my son wasn't trying to run the machines. As bad as this may seem I feel that I will probably sell my equipment before I meet my maker.

A lot like renting vs home ownership.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    A lot like renting vs home ownership.
    That is a good point.Never thought of it that way but you are right. Maybe there will be rent to own starting up on reloading equipment for those not having the money for starting to load.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't buy plated anyway since they don't match the accuracy of either quality cast bullets or bargain jacketed bullets.

I cast to be able to shoot as much as I want. When I am feeling flush, lazy, or have more money than time then I will buy jacketed or cast bullets.

At the end of the day, as long as I have lead and a heat source then I can shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I always thought it was worth it. My son however thinks I should have spent the money on pre-made plated bullets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    A bit of an odd perspective on his part, I'm thinking? Won't he have the option to get the equipment for free at some point ?
    Someone with that attitude might not be willing to put forth the effort to make boolits or anything else for that matter for himself. Same with RC airplanes now, most flyers would rather fly a molded foam pre-built or poorly built "Almost Ready to Fly" wood airplane than create something with their own hands. I cast what I shoot and build what I fly.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Of course it's worth it because whoever dies with the most toys wins !

Boolit Master
    Simple answer, yes. Although I don't shoot many thousands of rounds per year, I have been shooting and casting for over 50 years. Also, my equipment is fairly basic. I use 3 Lee bottom pour pots, sizers I bought used and lead that is mostly scrounged. Molds are my only real money pit. I have maybe 3-4 thousand in all my casting stuff. Cast bullets in many of the specific sizes I shoot are not readily available and jacketed don't exist never mind the cost. Beside that, I really like making everything I can which makes casting worth every cent I have in it. If my kids throw out all my casting stuff when I go it will still have been worth it to me.

Boolit Master

I like your math, just don't have the cash to go full solar. Need to stop buying molds, old presses, tractors, etc

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    hahaha love number 6
    As a part "old age pensioner" that helps to employ the staff at Centrelink, I'm all for No.6.

The kids will be OK.

Casting to "you too".

Cheers Mark

The ability to cast my own bullets and PC them has allowed me to shoot calibers that I would normally NOT spend the money on ammo for. Now I can make Subsonic AK loads and other cool things...

The ability to cast your own pills is just like having the ability to reload. I am glad that I do.

Banned
    There is something magical for me when I sit down in front of the bullet caster and start to crank out bullets. Its actually fun for me. I must be really twisted and in need of some help. I can remember years ago sitting in front of a "drip-O-matic" with two RCBS molds one for the RN 200gr 45 cal and one 225gr round nose 45 cal bullets. I can remember cussing because about the time I got going fairly well I was about out of lead and had to add some and then wait for the pot to get up to temp. I hated making bullets.

It was a hard decision to make parting with the cash for the bullet caster and several Star bullet sizers. After years of service I have come to the conclusion the decision was probably a sound one.

Do I regret the purchase? Somethines I wonder if I did the right thing but when I sit and look across the garage to a equipment rack that is plum full of bullets I tell myself I did the right thing. Don't care if the bullets last 1 yr or 10 because I can make more.

The kid will be ok without my sizers,bullet caster, and presses. He has had several go arounds with my 650 and luckily the 650 held its own. He will be ok with his RCBS single stage presses after I pass. Some just aren't ready for the 650 yet.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 10-03-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I like your math, just don't have the cash to go full solar. Need to stop buying molds, old presses, tractors, etc
    Old Tractors? WHEEL Horse by chance?

Banned

I don't have one. Would I like one? you bet! Its no different then the fact I don't have a 1050. Ive loaded on one quite a bit (my buddy has a couple) and there just a joy to use. Sure he could load on a lee progressive for a lot less money but I'm sure he could get to the store in a Yugo too for a lot less then his chev truck. Personaly I cant afford the ballistic cast or a 1050. So I get by with what I have. That said there sure not a waste of money.

In addition to learning something that helps with self sufficiency, (maybe) saving a few dollars, being able to load less common calibers (35 Rem is not popular in the West), and all the other good things about casting, for me it is therapy. Just like when I am shooting, reloading, hunting, fishing, and other things, when I am casting I am totally focused on the thing I am doing. The mold has to be filled right, the powder needs to be measured consistently, the critter might pop out of the next clump of brush, and I have to be on to bust the clay. All the other stuff that normally floats around in my head that I worry bout just goes away while I am working on a project or hobby. While I enjoy all of my hobbies, sometimes it is more of relief to just be focused on one thing and escape all my normal worries.

Boolit Grand Master

If you were a fisherman, would you have to justify the same amount of money if you bought a boat?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    yes I do save money. when you factor in the cost of running around to find a preloaded round like I want. independence not having to worry if there is going to be the ammo I want in stock in the amount I want.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    If you were a fisherman, would you have to justify the same amount of money if you bought a boat?
    Yes,

I would have to justify the boat purchase too.

Well the math is pointless. You buy the equipment, you buy the material, you do it. If you are having fun and not taking food out of your families mouth to do have that fun.... Why would you worry about cost benefit? I don't have a need for that volume of production. I like ladle casting it is almost like shooting. I try to do a perfect pour and perfect timing each bullet I cast. I get to work on hitting the bull's eye (of casting) just making them. I'm sure I am NOT saving money, equally sure I enjoy shooting more and have a better "pantry" than I would without casting and reloading. We all know the more you make the more you shoot. If I didn't have the tools and materials I would shoot less often and worry about cost of ammo more.

Oh and some pretty neat and decent people do this, they can be interesting and enjoyable company. So the specialty tools also give you new challenges or techniques to work on and discuss with others who use that equipment. Just avoid the swagers they be crazy
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast