Lee PrecisionPBcastcoRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Green Mountain 45 caliber fast twist barrel twist rate

Boolit Master

Green Mountain 45 caliber fast twist barrel twist rate

I bought a 45 cal TC Renegade (maybe even from someone hereon this site) and I am wondering what the twist rate is for their barrel.

It came with a supply of .451 460 grain boolits and I would like to cut back to 325-375 grain boolits depending on what I can find.

I will likely use the heavier boolits for long distance "plinking", or if I don't get it up and running with lighter boolits will hunt part of the season with the big boys. They shot pretty well back when I tried them.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    My GM barrel (45) came with a 1-30 twist / And shoots the RCBS 44-370-FN ,my boolit drops @.447 and I PP with 8lb onion skin/or as I am hunting this AM (early bear) with powder coated version /80 gr OE 3F good for reaching out there/Ed
    Last edited by Edward; 09-20-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    If the barrel you speak of is a factory T/C barrel? its twist rate is likely 1-48.

There is a proceedure for measuring a barrels twist rate. I didn't pay much attention to how the proceedure was done as I've always known what my barrels twist rates are.
    Last edited by OverMax; 09-20-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Barrel is Green Mountain.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Super Moderator

...............Depends upon when they bought the barrel from GM. When I bought my GM octagon 32", 45 cal bbl for my Rigby style LR Match rifle from GM, it had an 18" twist. It appears that the three 45 cal MLing barrels GM now show as having on hand now have a 60" twist. That'd be a tad slow for a 460gr 45 cal slug.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I would suggest you call G/M and ask just what barrel twist you have? Info that may be required at time of call.> Barrel length?_ measured barrel diameter?_ caliber?_ The barrels 6-digit serial number.

(603) 447-1095

Boolit Grand Master

It's not hard to figure out the twist. With the cleaning jag and a good tight patch. Mark the RR and see how much it turns. 1/2 turn in 24" is 1-48 and so on.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    The 1-30 twist guns will say "45 cal LRH".
    I use the Paper Patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet paper patched and sized to .446 with a .500 felt over powder wad with a pinch of Bore butter. I use 80 grains of Pyrodex P. The mould is a 370 gr but with 8 BHN lead they run right at 408 grains. In this video my friend Mike is shooting my Hawken with this load. Mike is not a rifle shooter! This load works.

https://youtu.be/NInQ--GAimo