MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Health issues with inhaling muzzle blast from muzzle breaked guns?

Boolit Master

Health issues with inhaling muzzle blast from muzzle breaked guns?

Does any one know of the health issues and what I have been breathing in from the blast of these guns with their loudeners on them.
    Or what I would be breathing in.

It has come to pass that the increase in the use of muzzle breaked guns and the lack of getting them to shoot in a place where they can enjoy making themselves and their mates deaf I have severe ringing in my ears.

I hope its not permanent I really really hope not.
    I have to go to the doctors and have a test tomorrow find out.

So I'm gathering all my ducks in a row.
    I am more than peeved that this has happened.

So what they had a meeting and put up a sign the same afternoon.

I hope my hearing will come back to what it was.

And I don't need titinus.

So if you know please step up to the plate and help me out.
    Thanks.

I think it will be all the junk from the muzzle blast but I don't really know whats in it

I have been shooting along time too but the blast is always out over there not parting my hair.

Thnx

Boolit Master

if your ears ring, its a sign damage has been done. if the ringing goes away great, but hearing damage is cumulative and adds up. always wear double hearing protection, and stay away from loud cars, air compressors, etc.

Moderator Emeritus

Powder fumes shouldn't be an issue, and I doubt any lead dust unless you are shooting cast boolits... tinnitus does suck, I have it pretty bad...

Boolit Master
    Thanks but I have been doing the ear muff thing for years.

I'm praying that it settles down to my normal level of deafness.

Mowing ,powder tools, hammering even the vacume cleaner which my wife thinks is strange.
    I don't know if it is because or the ear muffs or because I remembered we have one and I know how to turn it on.

Bruce

Banned

barrabruce....When shooting firearms with muzzlebreaks I wear both ear plugs and earmuffs. There are also some calibers that are notoriously loud even without a muzzlebreak. The 7.62x27 Tokarev, 30 Luger, 327 Magnum, and 30 Carbine in a revolver to name just a few. I double up ear protection with those too. It's the repetitive action of anything that make a loud enough noise that damages our ears. Those accumulate over a long period of time. For an example I have a friend that has been a carpenter all his working life and the repetitive noise of his nail guns have really damaged his hearing over time.

BTW I just read a new report about tinnitus that it's in the brain, not in your ear componants. Maybe they will make progress on eliminating that ringing in our ears.

Life is a health hazard, what level of risk are you willing to accept?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy
    Moulded ear plugs and some sort of full ear muff. Especially around ARs. But not only them, even 22s can cause damage. Over a period of time.

And lefty o, is correct. If your ears are ringing you already have some hearing damage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Life is a health hazard, what level of risk are you willing to accept?
    Not ones created by a something holes that think it is a bit of a laugh to blow my ears out by placing the shooter there.

Just because they can.

They may think its a lark and think they can get away with it with the who gives a toss attitude but we will see.

No it wasn't a mistake.
    And there will be more distorting of the truth and cover up than the distorting of my ears.

Boolit Master
    Yes I was wearing my high dollar muffs.
    thank-you about the low music background noise.
    I'll try it tonight and see if I can sleep better.
    The ceiling fan doesn't cut it anymore.

Can I do to them what they have done to me.
    I'd like to spread the love and feeling around.

Boolit Master

The damage from fumes and noise from my occupation is way worse than I can ever be subjected too from my shooting hobby.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Yes I was wearing my high dollar muffs.
    thank-you about the low music background noise.
    I'll try it tonight and see if I can sleep better.
    The ceiling fan doesn't cut it anymore.

Can I do to them what they have done to me.
    I'd like to spread the love and feeling around.
    Bruce ,
    I am not sure of your situation,but it seems like a nasty incident on a rifle range,there are good reasons why some organisations restrict muzzle breaks.For the present,if you are still able to attend the same place,watch the situation and remove yourself if you think you are at risk.
    Also get expert medical advice and consider legal action.

Boolit Master

I leave the radio on and my wife comes in and turns it off. So I am just living with it. I have always done loud things and probably always will.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    if your ears ring, its a sign damage has been done. if the ringing goes away great, but hearing damage is cumulative and adds up. always wear double hearing protection, and stay away from loud cars, air compressors, etc.
    Unfortunately there is alot of truth in that statement
    I first heard ringing in my ears in 1980 now on a scale of 1-10 its
    a constant 5 and its a real issue in day in and day out life
    hopefully yours will come back to you
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I have worn plugs and muffs for years. I don't know about the fumes, but hope they don't do any harm. I like the acrid smell of burnt gunpowder!

Boolit Master

I wore muffs religiously as a young man working around jet aircraft and shooting. What I was unaware of at the time was that the aircraft of the day (1960's) 707,727 Bac 111 were screamers with engines in the 130-140 DB range. The muffs we had probably attenuated 25 DB tops so even though I thought I was safe I was not. Today I'm deficient in the upper frequency ranges and have tinnitus. When I watch TV closed captions are on all the time so I don't drive my wife batty with the volume. Fortunately I'm a fast reader.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Moderator Emeritus

There are different qualities of muff too, read the specs and go for the highest DB rating you can afford! And yes, even my AR with a muzzle brake barks bad! And tinnitus sucks, I have it, makes it impssible to hear things with background noise.

Boolit Master
    earmuffs aren't enough. I use to wear muffs over plugs. Now all I need are my custom moulded plugs, way better than the doubling up. If I was going to shoot next to a muzzle break, I'd probably still put the muffs on too.
    You can be as peeved as you want, but common sense dictates that if it is loud, you don't have enough hearing protection on.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Banned
    If the rifle is BREAKED it should be no problem as it won't fire.

Boolit Master
    Well I'm not saying anything more about this issue.
    Thanks for the advice.

Boolit Master
    If you want to hear muzzle blast shoot this match and sit in the middle of the line. Its like climbing into the ring with Mohammad Ali. I love the smell of the burned powder blowing back into my sniffer.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...ZsCvwQoioIYDAK