Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifling for Smith revolvers

New rifling for Smith revolvers

I noticed the rifling on my new model 57 smith 41 mag looked a lot sharper to me than some of my older ecm rifled smith. I was curious and called Smith and a tech told me they were using another process that was more like the old broaching method. I know some had had more leading with ecm rifling so maybe this is better? My new 41 mag does not seem to lead bad. I had some with Lyman 410459 220 at about 1150fps but my bullets were too soft at 8 bhn. Anyway, I thought that was interesting and the rifling does look better to me. He said they started with the process about a year ago.

Boolit Master

Marlin went back to Ballard rifling and now S&W is going retro too. Probably for the best.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Yaaay
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Good report

Boolit Grand Master

And even Glock going back to a more traditional rifling? What's the world coming to!

Sometimes doing it the right way, the first time, is the right way all along.

Boolit Master
    But but its a NEW improved process ! Yeah, I am glad to see they are still paying attention. I see so much " accuracy testing" at 7 yards I'm sometimes concerned they may just quit bothering to rifle them at all !
    Now that M69 is looking better and better!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Accuracy testing at 7 yards is probably the 3rd or 4th worst offense to be committed upon the shooting world...ever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    actually accuracy testing 1400 dollar "combat target" 1911s at 10 yards and claiming great accuracy if they stay inside a 8 inch circle and screaming bloody murder when they accuracy test a charter arms or Taurus or rossi handgun at 25 yards and it stays inside 3 inches and call that SUB STANDARD is a higher crime
    That's why I listed it as the 3rd or 4th worse thing, lol.

It cracks me up when a $4,000 Wilson is given a thorough wringing out at 7-10 yards because defense shootings happen close all the time dontcha know.

Boo that noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    That's why I listed it as the 3rd or 4th worse thing, lol.

It cracks me up when a $4,000 Wilson is given a thorough wringing out at 7-10 yards because defense shootings happen close all the time dontcha know.

Boo that noise.

I should think that a pistol that can hold 2" at 50 yards should suffice accuracy-wise at bad-breath distances. But I am not as highly-evolved as some of the gunrag scribblers seem to be.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Do you do forward shoulder rolls into the kitchen inorder to make yourself a hard target?

If not, then all of your real life experiences are moot. Only those experiences dreamed up by the internet gun writer/mouth breather are valid anymore. What use is a "Target" gun that holds 2 inches at 50 yards? It'll probably jam if I dip it in mud, freeze it, and then encase the magazine well in concrete.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't start me up, Dick. It won't be pretty.

16 x 180 grain JHPs from the Glock 20 makes someone a pretty hard target, too. I do like this pistol, and have always loved the caliber. I am way too BLANKing old to be doing shoulder rolls and other combat choreography like some of the cammy-jammy-cadre engage in. I'll find cover, or create it with bullets--which is the whole rationale for the high-volume magazine in the first place.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I figured that would get you going, lol.

Boolit Master

Come on Al.....I know you didn't let it all out!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Come on Al.....I know you didn't let it all out!
    I am on thin-enough ice here as it is. Truth in small and infrequent dosage units is good policy in some quarters.

It is good to read that S&W seems to be returning to more traditional rifling forms. Their decades-old 5-groove aberration is weird enough all on its own without adding even more poetry to the mix.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hmmm . . . I'm guessing that maybe I might be able to consider a new Smith instead of having to look for nice vintage ones that had real rifling in 'em!?

Look at them first because there is a lot of the rounded type out there. I looked at a new 629 yesterday and the rifling looked sharp to me. I do not know if it is as sharp as broached but I cannot tell the difference . Compared to a 686 they had in the shop and it had the more rounded look. I will say I have several the the rounded rifling and the seem ro shoot well. I grouped my 625 mt gun today with the rounded rifling and got 25 yard groups of about 2 inches when I did my part with 285 grain rcbs saa swc. I do like the sharper rifling better. I have now idea what the process is . They may have modified ecm? I would be surprised if they punted all that technology

Boolit Master

If we're going to test accuracy at 7-10 yds why not just dispense with the rifling, might get some extra velocity.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    If we're going to test accuracy at 7-10 yds why not just dispense with the rifling, might get some extra velocity.
    OK--this cracked me up.

Da boyz in da hood need da rifling cuz ya no dey don't get da practice like dey should do.

The Toronto Police just released video of a contract killing in the hopes someone might recognize the academic wonders who were doing the shooting. The Glocks do a number on the body when shot through plate glass doors although it seemed two and a half mags at five yards might have been a bit excessive even without 10 round limits. Maybe Glock changed their polygonal rifling for what they call hexagonal to improve the accuracy of their boom sticks.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Here is the video. Could be a Glock ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYMng7lpFg
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast