MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50 State Legal Silenced Muzzleloader

Boolit Master

50 State Legal Silenced Muzzleloader

https://www.store.silencerco.com/pro...nt=37950952529

It's a permanently attached silencers on a Traditions inline .50 with an MSRP of $999. In most States it can be shipped to your door. They have a PDF that talks about approved powders and explains why it's 50 State Legal.

I might have to add black powder to my arsenal.

Boolit Bub
    Ummmm.... No.

B.S.

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2013/...cers-lega.html

Silencers are legal in;

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA (as of 3/31/16), ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, AND WY

Silencers are not legal in the following 10 States:

California, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa (prior to 3/31/16) , Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont.

While individuals may not possess suppressors in NY and HI, Police officers may have them in certain circumstances

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    Here's the CYA:

"CUSTOMERS FROM ANY STATE SHOULD VERIFY
    THEY ARE ABIDING BY ALL STATE, LOCAL,
    AND FEDERAL LAWS BEFORE PURCHASING."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    B.S.

Silencers are legal in;

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA (as of 3/31/16), ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, AND WY

California, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa (prior to 3/31/16) , Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont.

While individuals may not possess suppressors in NY and HI, Police officers may have them in certain circumstances
    Figured it wouldn't take long for the BS BS.

For anyone actually bothering to read up on the Maxim 50 info:
    WHY DON’T I NEED A TAX STAMP?
    The BATFE defines a silencer as a “device for
    silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a
    portable firearm...” By that definition, a silencer is
    only a silencer if it can attach to a firearm.

The Maxim 50 is built on the base of a Traditions™
    Vortek Strikerfire Muzzleloader. Muzzleloaders are
    not considered firearms by the BATFE, but are
    instead antique firearms, a definition and difference
    that is very distinct.

Because of this, a moderator that is permanently
    affixed to a muzzleloader is not legally defined as a
    silencer, since it does not attach to a firearm
    (emphasis added)

Banned
    Here's what the makers sez:

With the invention of the Maxim 50, SilencerCo has created a product that is 100% legal for civilian ownership in all 50 states while providing hearing-saving suppression at a reasonable price point. How is this possible? By paying very close attention to the law.

The BATFE defines a silencer as a “device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm . . .” By that definition, a silencer is only a silencer if it can attach to a firearm. The Maxim 50 is built on the base of a Traditions™ Vortek Strikerfire Muzzleloader. For those who know muzzleloaders, you’ll also know that they are not considered firearms by the BATFE but are instead antique firearms, a definition and difference that is very distinct. Because of this, a moderator that is permanently affixed to a muzzleloader is not legally defined as a silencer, since it does not attach to a firearm. With this realization, the SilencerCo Maxim 50 Suppressed Muzzleloader was born.

For those who know muzzleloaders, you’ll also know that they are not considered firearms by the BATFE but are instead antique firearms, a definition and difference that is very distinct. Because of this, a moderator that is permanently affixed to a muzzleloader is not legally defined as a silencer, since it does not attach to a firearm. With this realization, the SilencerCo Maxim 50 Suppressed Muzzleloader was born.

We used a lot of creativity to arrive at this solution,” said Josh Waldron, SilencerCo CEO and Co-Founder. “We have been working on this product for three years, with most of that time spent waiting on a determination from the Technology Branch of the BATFE as to how this product would be classified. As soon as we received official word that it wouldn’t be considered or regulated as a silencer, we got to work on bringing the Maxim 50 to customers across the country.”

SilencerCo expects the Maxim 50 to be a hit not only with the NFA-loving crowd, but also with hobbyists and hunters. In many states, muzzleloader hunting begins days (sometimes weeks) before standard rifle season, giving hunters using this platform an edge. But this edge does come with caveats – antique firearms are usually loud, have lots of recoil, and the shooter has to battle the thick cloud of black powder smoke billowing from the barrel as they try to see if their shot connected with their game. The Maxim 50 solves all of the issues experienced by muzzleloader shooters while also drastically reducing the resulting smoke by more than two-thirds, allowing hunters to see the location of their shot and track their game.

SilencerCo is honored to finally be able to bring suppressed shooting to its customers across the country, especially in states such as California, Illinois, and New York, where civilian ownership of silencers is not currently allowed.

LOOKS CLEAR THEY HAVE CROSSED THE T'S AND DOTTED THE I'S !!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

B.S.

Silencers are legal in;

As other noted, this falls under the same regulations as an airgun suppressor, which is to say none at all since it cannot be removed and used on a Title I or Title II firearm.

Boolit Master
    From the ATF letter: "FTISB personnel also noted the adhesive used to attach the forward end cap is not an approved method of permanent attachment" - yet on the website it says "all welded".
    https://silencerco.com/wp-content/th...atf-letter.pdf

CLEANING THE MODERATOR The moderator portion of the Maxim 50 requires limited maintenance after every 50 – 60 rounds.

page 63: https://silencerco.com/wp-content/th...nual-small.pdf

Gotta ask yourself why you shoot muzzleloaders in the first place, methinks.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Gotta ask yourself why you shoot muzzleloaders in the first place, methinks.
    You mean, the better hunting seasons ?

If only this had been done on a smokeless powder rated muzzle loader. I have a few cans myself. I cannot imagine the mess inside with BP subs.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    The company has the "paper" from ATF. That's all that matters.

As for MZ hunting if you don't get it (or bow hunting) you don't understand the word "hunting".

Lots of those here ---- shoot out of pickups and drive away if animal doesn't fall over.

With the new Alliant Black (the only BP sub worth having) things are much cleaner. I can shoot 20 cast boolits in my 45-70 with it minimal fouling and no loss of accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    No thanks, seems like it would be a huge mess in that can after a dozen shots. Besides I like the way a muzzleloader sounds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    The company has the "paper" from ATF. That's all that matters.
    I have several of those "papers" from the BATFE, let me tell you what my lawyer told me when he drafted the first question for me. The only value they have beyond toilet paper is for me(the Manufacturer) to prove in a court of law that I didn't have "intent" to break the law.

They don't protect anyone from anything and they certainly aren't law or even a means of preventing the BATFE from changing it's mind later. The Akins Accelerator bump fire is a good example of the ATF giving a ruling one way and then years later changing there minds and demanding that all of the sold accelerators be submitted to the AFT without compensation. You can also look up the letter from ATF Tech branch were they decided a string(shoelace) was a full auto firearms part.

I wouldn't put much stock in those BATFE Tech letters and I've spent good money with my lawyer several times to get them.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Hideous thing to look at. It has to throw the balance off. I like my girls slim, light and easy to handle. Nope, not for me.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Everyone has their "own cup of tea" . . . and O.K., I'm old. Been shooting BP for 55 years and used to hunt just about everything with 'em. I'm also a fairly dedicated "traditionalist" whine comes to BP, but when the new fangled plastic stocked in-lines came along - I thought - O.K., if it gets more people involved in the BP hobby and allows more to enjoy the BP hunting seasons, then they do serve a purpose. But a silencer on a BP rifle just leaves me scratching my head.

I was brought up "one shot, one kill". And in lower MI where I always hunted - as well as in the U.P., the deer should certainly get spooked when they heard a shot but for the most part, wee pretty "tame". Heck, oat our old place on the back of the farm, I walked out one day to find a doe standing on my deck and they browsed in the yard all the time.

Sorry, but just can't see the need or use for one of these on a BP rifle. Part of hunting is "hunting". I don't hunt anymore but I do know, that those I hunted with who shot BP and hunted with BP - if they saw someone wandering around looking like a tactical ninja with one of these on the end of his barrel of his BP rifle, he would have been lauded out of the woods.

But like I said, "every one has their own cup of tea" and I really don't understand all of the "snowflake" nonsense either.

No offense intended towards anyone . . . . .

Banned

cans on ml's, geez louise. another valid reason for me to completely dislike inline zip guns and all they stand for.

My state law does not address what a silencer is attached to, nor whether it makes any difference whether what it is attached to is legally a firearm or an antique.

The law here simply bans silencers, period.

The silencer seller has no culpability for the failure of a buyer to follow the law of their land, and can claim whatever.

SO, caveat emptor.........

Beside which, IMHO that thing's an abomination (aka: fugly) - and I'd no sooner attach it to one of my guns than I would use a Beanie Baby as a front sight.

Last edited by pietro; 09-19-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    No silencer for me, and Olde Eynsford or even Triple 7 is worth much more than Black MZ as that stuff is weak in cap n ball pistols.

You guys covered it all - BATFE decision for these is cast in Tapioca. Changeable at any time by a bureaucrat with no over site. State laws mean that it may still be considered forbidden/regulated, either by the nature of the device or the use on a weapon that uses fire/powder. And practically speaking the amount of fouling left in it will require way more maintenance then most of us want to have to do.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast