WidenersPBcastcoReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Black mz and 54 cal

Boolit Master

Black mz and 54 cal

Picked up 1 lb black mz for $9.99 to try out in 54 cal hawken used .015 patch and .530 hornady rb. 90 grains was just right. Only shot 7 times and the best groups so far. For the cost I would use black mz all day long.
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 09-20-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Super Moderator

..............Never heard of Black MZ before?

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I had not heard of it either. Found this on Alliant's site.

Dependable Muzzleloader Performance

Effective in all black powder firearms, Black MZ™ is a black powder replacement designed for hunters, Cowboy Action shooters and re-enactment enthusiasts. Moisture resistant and virtually non-corrosive, Black MZ replicates black powder performance without the ignition headaches and cleaning hassles common to traditional black powder use.
    Moisture resistant for dependable ignition in all weather » Get the Facts
    Virtually non-corrosive for increased barrel protection
    Burns cleaner for less residue and easier cleaning
    Better velocities at lower pressures

Helpful hints for best results with Alliant Powder's Black MZ
    Our experience through testing and hunting has been that best results are attained in the 50 caliber muzzleloader using 90 grains volumetric of Black MZ with sabot bullet weights of 240 grains to 260 grains.
    Make sure that the barrel is clean and totally dry (swab barrel with dry patches until there is no evidence of moisture).
    Black MZ functions best when heavily compressed by the seated sabot.
    If you need further help or information please contact us at 800-276-9337.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I am new to percusson and black powder. First can of powder I picked up was Goex 2f it was $22.00. When I saw Black Mz for $9.99 at Sportsman warehouse I figured worth a try. And my TC 54cal shoots great with it. Also picked up .015 patches since .010 patches where showing tears and burn through.

Boolit Buddy

Quite a BIG difference in cost!
    I have enough Goex for a loooong time, but my curiosity is sure peaked, even though I don't use sabots. Still yet, I am interested in seeing what it might do with a PRB.

Reading about it is one thing, actually use of it is something else again.

I do hope, for the sake of many, that this turns out to be something good.
    Real Black Powder has become a rare bird for many, unless of course you can order case lots with a friend or three...

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought some because of the price but have yet to use it. I have heard good thing though.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Never heard nor know about it - interesting!

For those of you that are trying it out - can you get back with your thoughts about it? The description above says "virtually non-corrosive" . . . how "virtually" is "virtually"?

What are your thoughts on the ease of clean up?

What about fouling? How bad or how little?

I've never used a "substitute" and have always used BP. At the price you are talking about for a pound - and I'm assuming it is a "true pound" as in 16 oz? (i.e. not like some of the powders they package in 12 oz containers) it would certainly be worth a can to try out for fun. I'm not a sabot shooter but jim44-40 it looks like you did very well with it and a patched RB!

Look forward to hearing more about this! Thanks!

Super Moderator

I've heard of it but have never tried it. It does look promising. I'm going to be going to Sportsman's Warehouse tomorrow for some other stuff, I may have to see if they have any and try it in my Lyman 54 Deerstalker.

I would like to know how it works with a flint lock. I tried the other substitutes in the past with very poor results.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    The Alliant powder is seen here too.>MN
    I seldom use subs anymore. Its known syndrom.~~ A pound of power selling for 10 bucks will stop a feller in his tracks these days when blousing down the B/P shoot'in stuff isle.
    Curious? Your new powder. Is it a one size fits all? ~~(45 & up__45 & smaller)

Boolit Master
    I loaded a hand full of 45 colt with 26.5 gr and 454190 with soft lube shot fine in ruger. I am leaving cases alone to see how bad they corrode in a week. I believe black mz is 2 ff

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    But do you get the smoke? I need my smoke.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    It's the same stuff as American Pioneer. They had another powder maker going to fill the cans with some real high performance powder, but that plant blew up and cost their license. It's not a bad powder, its clean, consistent and likes good heavy seating pressure. My groups with APP mimick yours. Its great to have on hand as a cheap and easy powder to blow smoke all day long. Come hunting, I like Goex really darn good.