MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Golden 39A Mountie

Marlin Golden 39A Mountie

Hi, All -

I was gifted this fine little rifle by the widow of a close deceased friend. Which makes it special for that alone.

I installed a simple 4 X fixed scope on it and took it to the range last weekend. Just a joy to shoot. I'm certainly not a good shot by any means, but this little stinger sure puts them close together on the paper.

This model is a 1966 vintage, bearing an "AB" prefix to the serial number, and it is untouched except for the scope and sling being added by myself.

There's just something about these old lever rifles. When you pick them up and then work the action, you have the instinctive feeling that they just don't make them like this anymore. Not disparaging any of the new, modern lever rifles, but to me at least, the old ones seem to have completely different characters. They simply are players from a different time........

Just a sheer pleasure to handle and shoot these older lever actions....

Bayou52
    Last edited by Bayou52; 09-19-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Bub
    I have one that looks identical, and feel the same way about it! Mines a bit younger, being an '81 model, but nothing's changed. Shoots dime sized groups with standard velocity ammo, when i manage to hold it steady. Squirrel season is on here, I need to take her out for a walk in the woods!

Boolit Buddy
    I finally got a 39A after many years of collecting 22's. Have not shot mine yet, as I had issues with some bubba-repairs that needed to be corrected. They seem like great rifles. I picked mine up because the wife's Dad had one that she shot a lot as a youngster, so we "needed" one. Good e'nuff.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by woodsie57 View Post
    I have one that looks identical, and feel the same way about it! Mines a bit younger, being an '81 model, but nothing's changed. Shoots dime sized groups with standard velocity ammo, when i manage to hold it steady. Squirrel season is on here, I need to take her out for a walk in the woods!
    I'll have to try some of that standard velocity ammo. Thanks for the idea...

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    There might be very slightly better accuracy with match-grade standard velocity ammunition. But the 39a, or the earlier 39 with an HS serial prefix, don't actually need it. There used to be a weakness of the locking projection on the bolt, which sometimes cracked with high velocity ammunition. But they strengthened it up in 1932.

The 39a is a modern rifle to me. My rimfire Marlin, a .32 for which I managed to convert 9mm. rimfire shotshells, is an 1892. It looks good, with a slimmer forend and sharper, ungrooved stock comb in copper-toned plain walnut. But most .22 users nowadays will want a scope, and the thicker comb of thinge current or nearly-current 39a is a far better way of raising the head a little, than a cheekpiece on a rifle of this type. Unlike some of the early calibres in which they used MicroGroove rifling, there isn't a thing against it in the .22LR. The 39a of your period really is about as good as .22 sporting rifles get.

^^^^ Yep, I'd agree that a 1892 vintage qualifies as an older rifle. A great shooter, too, I'll bet.

Good comments, thanks.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    Have a similar 39a to the one pictured made in 75 according to its serial numbered tang. Only difference I see. Mine's Pistol griped. 24" barreled with a folding rear sight. Someone once told me the rifle is a Mountie model. All I know> it is not a carbine. Honestly I don't particularly like it's rear folding sight. 25 yards. Not as accurate as I would like it to be. So the old gal she's been kept cased in the closet for many years. No scratches dents or dings bluing is 100%. One of these days I suppose I should take it out and shoot it some to see if she's is still worth the money I paid for her. Way back when I had color in my hair atop my head. And that's been awhile ago.

Otherwise you have a dandy rifle there Bayou52

^^^^ Hi, OverMax -

You may want to check the stamping on your barrel. This particular rifle in the picture, having a carbine length barrel, is marked Marlin Golden 39A Mountie right on the barrel. I wonder how your rifle barrel is stamped or marked?

If your rifle is without any wear to the bluing, or any other blemishes, that's surely a rarity! You've got a real treasure there.

The Mountie in the picture at the first post has some thinning of the bluing along the barrel and the receiver. So, it's definitely not in the grade of yours. However, a local smith who re-threaded one of the scope screw holes said that whatever I do, don't change anything about it. Good advice, I'm sure....

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

Marlin Model 39a

As a youth I had the longer barrel rifle model of the Model 39 with the pistol grip. For some reason (dumb, dumb, dumb!) I traded for the Model 39a while stationed in Texas in the early 70s. While I wish that I still had the rifle, the carbine has dropped an uncountable number of rabbits and vermin. A fine firearm it is.

Most of the carbine's life has been spent with a Lyman aperture sight, but while shooting ground squirrels in Montana this spring, I put one of the old Redfield 3/4" rimfire scopes on it which proved decidedly unhealthy for the little vermin. The old scaled down Redfield, circa 1970, is the cat's meow on the little carbine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marlin Model 39 01-800-90%.jpg   Marlin 39a-Redfield 2-800-90%.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 09-19-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Bub
    I had a Golden 39A rifle I bought back in 1977. For some reason I sold it to a friend of mine in the early eighties and regretted it soon after. I picked up a late sixties Mounty. This one isn't going anywhere till I am gone and then it's staying in the family.

Beautiful Marlin, Scharf. You're a proud owner, indeed...

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Banned
    My father had an early model Mountie and it is now mine. I'll never part with that rifle.
    They are mechanical works of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    My father had an early model Mountie and it is now mine. I'll never part with that rifle.
    They are mechanical works of art.
    Well said, P & P! Mine is with me through sickness and through health also! It's easily one of my favorite shooters...

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    Bayou52
    Thanks for your kind opinion.
    As far as my barrels engraving. No mention of model. Just this (Original Golden 39a) One thing I thought most unusual I've seen on no another 39 36 _or 336. Is the small gold radius cut wood screw factory drilled dead center thru its ebony and (white) spacer pistol grip cap. so
    I don't know just what 39a model I have? Is it a rifle due to its 24" barrel a carbine or as you pointed out "its not a mountie."

The one thing I found is. Its 24" barrel it sure has down range reach. O/M

Hi, OverMax -

I'm not an expert, but it sounds as though your Marlin may qualify for rifle status rather than carbine status given its 24" barrel. I just measured the length of the barrel on my Mountie. It measures 19.5" from the muzzle to the beginning of the receiver.

Be that as it may, a Golden Marlin in an unblemished condition like yours is fit for a museum!

Thanks for your input....

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    I like to show it here but I don't have any idea how to do. The 39 I have is a beauty no doubt about that. 32 years old and no change in its appearance since 1975. Never been scoped. Just a plain jane 39a.
    As far as sending a pix of it. It would be easier for me to send its pix/s via my cell to some others cell or PC. This old Dell PC I'm typing on just sending a attachment is a big deal to do right.
    Good night gents.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Have a similar 39a to the one pictured made in 75 according to its serial numbered tang. Only difference I see. Mine's Pistol griped. 24" barreled with a folding rear sight. Someone once told me the rifle is a Mountie model. All I know> it is not a carbine. Honestly I don't particularly like it's rear folding sight. 25 yards. Not as accurate as I would like it to be. So the old gal she's been kept cased in the closet for many years. No scratches dents or dings bluing is 100%. One of these days I suppose I should take it out and shoot it some to see if she's is still worth the money I paid for her. Way back when I had color in my hair atop my head. And that's been awhile ago.

Otherwise you have a dandy rifle there Bayou52
    Add a peep sight. Williams 5D. Works wonders for old eyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    Hi, OverMax -

I'm not an expert, but it sounds as though your Marlin may qualify for rifle status rather than carbine status given its 24" barrel. I just measured the length of the barrel on my Mountie. It measures 19.5" from the muzzle to the beginning of the receiver.

Be that as it may, a Golden Marlin in an unblemished condition like yours is fit for a museum!

Thanks for your input....

Bayou52
    If it has a folding rear sight, someone replaced it, cause to my knowledge Marlin didn't offer folding rear sights. I had a 39a many years ago that I dearly loved, but had to sell it cause I needed the money. I had a md 60 Marlin that served my needs better, but wish still had that 39, but we can't keep them all!

I have a couple 39s and a 1897. Newest 39 was bought new in 70s. I never put a scope on it but
    it now has a Lyman reciever sight. I almost scoped it but put scopes on 1894 & 1895 and didn't
    like it. Now all the Marlins I hunt with have Lyman 66s. The 1897 I have retired, my 1st rifle got
    in 1955. It came with a tang sight that my dad took off when he bought it for me. I still have the
    sight, in the little box he put it in 62 yrs ago.Attachment 204541Attachment 204542

^^^^^ Very nice stable of Marlins, Drm50!

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast