MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 629-6 Vers Ruger Super RedHawk

Banned

S&W 629-6 Vers Ruger Super RedHawk

I absolutely never thought I would break down and buy both a SuPer Redhawk and a 629-6 44magnum. Well, took them both out for a test try Saturday. The results were as follows ....the Ruger actually had a better trigger pull than the 629. The 629 however did better grouping than the Super did. Both shot 215gr SWC with 9.3 gr of WW231 and both shot a plated 240 gr flat point bullet with 10.9 gr of CFE. The Ruger seemed to group about the same with both loads. Having said this the Ruger doesn't have a Hogue grip like the 629-6 does but it is on its way. The Ruger is fitted with the Highrez green front sight and the 629-6 will soon have the same sight. The ruger's hogue grip was installed last night in the hope of being able to take both girls out sunday morning for another shoot.

I am very disappointed with the S&W trigger on the 629-6. My 686 S&W has a trigger you would die to have. Not being used to shooting a revolver I did end up with skin on my hand that was kinda dry that splip open making shooting a little less fun after 60+ rounds thru the two guns.

I think after you fire a few hundred round through the Smith, the trigger will start coming in. I have a Redhawk, SRH(9.5" Bbl), 29-3, and a late model 629. The Redhawk is my favorite shooter. Both Smiths are the 6" variant. The Redhawk is 7.5".
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Vendor Sponsor

Check the throats in the SRH. See what boolit will side through with finger pressure and which won't.. It may be able to group much better if the cylinder could be improved.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    The trigger on the 629 will prolly smooth up some after firing a few hunnert rounds, but if the weight of pull is what you are referring to, that can easily be rectified by replacing the rebound slide spring. However, this work should be done by someone who is familiar with working on Smith revolvers.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

9.3 231 and 215 SWC used to be very accurate out of my Original Contender, in fact most accurate load it ever used.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Man
    How did you like the CFE? I've considered trying it in 44 Magnum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyfishermanMike View Post
    How did you like the CFE? I've considered trying it in 44 Magnum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The CFE worked fine.

Boolit Master
    I'll bet if you jack up boolit weight to around 300 grains and have a full day of shooting you'll appreciate the Ruger.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    I'll bet if you jack up boolit weight to around 300 grains and have a full day of shooting you'll appreciate the Ruger.
    I didn't buy the thing to punish myself. If I wanted to do that I would have purchased a S&W 500.

Boolit Master
    You can't have too many "44's"!

I have both a Smith MG (a dash 4) and a 7.5" SS Redhawks and I like them both.

I used to have a 9.5" Super Redhawk in 44 but a trade with a friend a few years ago turned that one into a 480 Super Redhawk 7.5".

In my opinion I like to limit most of my heavy boolit shooting at full steam to my Rugers. Sure, the Smiths are rated for all SAMMI loads but I saw my use of 300 grainers as abusive to the platform. Not so with the Rugers.

I am not referring to limited use but rather high round counts. I wanted my Mountain Gun to be there when I really needed it, I would be better served by trimming my expectations about long term usage of heavy bullet, full house loads with it.

With the Ruger DA guns it was more about abusing me, not the guns.

Enjoy those 44's ..... I sure have enjoyed mine!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    My favorite fodder for my Mountain Gun:

Hands down I like a well cast RCBS 250K pushed by 11.8 gr. of HS 6 powder and lit by the Federal old school 155 primer.

Folks seem to fall into two distinct camps as to loading bigger bores but I like a upper level medium load. I do a lot of loading at the light end and a fair amount of heavy stuff as to pressures and weights to be sure.

A lot of the folks who do work the middle ground just crank up Unique powder but I much prefer to switch to the HS powder and save my Unique for where it's really appreciated ... in Skeeter loads!

I tested a lot of medium burn powders and got a pretty fair idea on recoil impulse, accuracy and extraction. I took competing powders and loaded three of one staggered with three of another load. When the smoke cleared, HS6 won.

I get 1066 fps with just 7 fps standard deviation with my pet load of HS6 out of the 4" MG Smith and 15 fps standard deviation out of my 7.5" Redhawk at 1176 fps.

If you study what Elmer wanted out of his 44 Special magnum load he asked for it was 1200 fps out of a six inch barreled 44 Special.

If Elmer was happy with that performance, I am happy with it as well.

I found out about HS6 from the Hodgdon's #26 manual and they list the pressure for my load at around 24,000 psi for a 250 gr. Lead boolit. That is right in the wheel house with Richard Lee's findings on the sweet spot for working lead in cast shooting pressures.

Later editions of the Hodgdon's books have drifted to heavier loads and pressures with the powder but at least for lead I suggest sticking around the lower to mid twenty K pressure range.

Enjoy!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 09-23-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    I shot the Ruger SRH 7 1/2" in IHMSA with 300 grain boolits, matchs were 80 rounds and that Ruger SRH was extremely pleasant. I used some 296 but mostly Blue Dot, both powders were winners. I'd pick up that Ruger SRH to fire the string of the day and be amazed how comfortable it was.

Boolit Master
    The load I referred to in my second post is from the Hodgdon's #26 manual and at 12 gr. they list the pressure at 24,000 psi. I think that my load at .2 gr. less is right in there.

How is this guessing?

Three44s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	204593
    Yup. Sometimes ya just need both.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master
    Comparing a Super Redhawk to a 629 is like comparing a Stratocaster to a Stradivarius. Both are 44 Magnum revolvers/stringed instruments, but past that point their roads fork radically.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Comparing a Super Redhawk to a 629 is like comparing a Stratocaster to a Stradivarius. Both are 44 Magnum revolvers/stringed instruments, but past that point their roads fork radically.
    I agree. I pretty much baby my 29. 429421 with 8gr Unique
    The SRH gets the heavy stuff.
    The Smith is a much classier revolver. Better trigger, feel, and balance.
    The Rugers are just BUTT TOUGH!!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned
    The Rugers are also ugly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The 629 is like a Cadillac and the Ruger is like a Pinto.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    The 629 is like a Cadillac and the Ruger is like a Pinto.
    I would say "Cadillac" and "F-350". I have a Redhawk and a 629, and enjoy both--but their utility differs.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I also agree with Caddy and F350!

Three44s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast